[OT]Exercise follow-up

Old February 28th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default [OT]Exercise follow-up

[]
From today's NY Times:
The main problem with weight lifting is that many people
do it all wrong, said Kent Adams, the director of the
exercise physiology laboratory at California State
University at Monterey Bay. They dont have a program or
a goal. Technique may be sloppy. Or, Dr. Adams said,
they use weights that are too light. Muscles need to be
stressed if they are to respond, he said.

Dr. Kraemer is on the same page. One study, he said,
found that women tend to lift half or less of what they
could lift. And this happened even when women were
working with personal trainers, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/he...l?pagewanted=2

Old February 28th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

Dr. Kraemer is on the same page. One study, he said,
found that women tend to lift half or less of what they
could lift. And this happened even when women were
working with personal trainers, he said.

Somehow this is not surprising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/he...l?pagewanted=2

Interesting article - thanks for the link.

I found this bit particularly interesting:

"DR. O'CONNOR, for example, lifts weights for health, for enjoyment and for
vanity's sake (he does not want an emaciated upper body, he said), but stops
lifting when he is training to run a marathon. Those muscles, he said, "are
just dead weight you have to carry around.He adds that a sport like rowing,
swimming or running requires specific muscles and nerve-firing patterns that
may best be developed by actually doing the sport.

Old February 28th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:27:11 -0500, "sionnach"
wrote:

"DR. O'CONNOR, for example, lifts weights for health, for enjoyment and for
vanity's sake (he does not want an emaciated upper body, he said), but stops
lifting when he is training to run a marathon. Those muscles, he said, "are
just dead weight you have to carry around.He adds that a sport like rowing,
swimming or running requires specific muscles and nerve-firing patterns that
may best be developed by actually doing the sport.

*Fascinating*.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Economic Facts & Fallacies with Thomas Sowell.
http://tv.nationalreview.com/uncommonknowledge/

Obama: Feminized?
http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2008/02/...feminized.html

Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling...
http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm

Snow cover over North America greatest since 1966...
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...html?id=332289
Old February 29th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Melinda Shore wrote:
[]
From today's NY Times:
The main problem with weight lifting is that many people
do it all wrong, said Kent Adams, the director of the
exercise physiology laboratory at California State
University at Monterey Bay. They dont have a program or
a goal. Technique may be sloppy. Or, Dr. Adams said,
they use weights that are too light. Muscles need to be
stressed if they are to respond, he said.

Dr. Kraemer is on the same page. One study, he said,
found that women tend to lift half or less of what they
could lift. And this happened even when women were
working with personal trainers, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/he...l?pagewanted=2

I was interested in the article and am glad you posted the pointer to
it. It took me a minute, however, to realize that the article has
limited application for me. He's talking about becoming a better
athlete, improving performance and efficiency, increasing endurance.
When he says that women don't have a program or a goal, I doubt that
he's taking into consideration goals like lessening the chances of heart
attack, broken hips, peri-menopause symptoms, and pain from arthritis
and soft tissue damage from an ancient injury, in middle aged and
elderly women.

For me, I'm taking the weight conditioning class because I was getting
bored with my previous work-out. Since I know that the best exercise is
the exercise that the individual will stick with over the long term, it
made sense for me to try something new and challenging. That's better
than getting bored and giving up. It's working. I went to another
class today, chatted with the teacher afterwards, don't feel nearly as
sore as I did after the other classes, and am oddly looking forward to
next week. I'm sure I'm not lifting all the weight I could nor making
the most progress in the least time, but since that's not my goal, I'm
giving myself a pat on the back.

--Lia

Icy day exercise Lynne Dog behavior 6 January 22nd 07 11:44 PM
exercise dave Dog breeds 6 January 26th 05 07:49 PM
Enough Exercise? Pam Dog behavior 14 November 17th 04 12:21 PM
Duncan follow-up Melinda Shore Dog behavior 45 May 12th 04 07:00 PM