Ping: Diddy

Old March 4th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default Ping: Diddy

I had a new client today with 2 Elkhounds. One was name Tucker, and I
couldn't stop myself from calling him TUCK. I don't see a lot of
Elkhounds, maybe 1-2 a year, so it's pretty neat to have some in
training.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 4th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom
in :

I had a new client today with 2 Elkhounds. One was name Tucker, and I
couldn't stop myself from calling him TUCK. I don't see a lot of
Elkhounds, maybe 1-2 a year, so it's pretty neat to have some in
training.

Thanks for making me smile )
Tuck is not a name I've ever heard any Elkhound called. Suddenly there are
Tuck elkhounds everywhere. I have a whole lot of breeders and new elkhound
puppy owners telling me they are naming their dogs after Tuck.

And Tuck's in Tuck's R.E.A.D. class, 5 kids got puppies for Christmas. And
all five puppies happen to be named TUCK... even the girls.

I'm not sure how that happened. How old is Tucker in your class?
Old March 4th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

I'm not sure how that happened. How old is Tucker in your class?

He's actually part of a private client pair. It's the rescue female
that I was called for. They estimate her at 18m. He's 5y.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 6th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

diddy wrote:

And Tuck's in Tuck's R.E.A.D. class, 5 kids got puppies for Christmas. And
all five puppies happen to be named TUCK... even the girls.

I hope I'm jumping to the wrong conclusions and that this isn't as bad
as it sounds at first.

5 kids in a small class got puppies for Christmas? Are these families
where they've had dogs before? Where they know the basics of puppy care
and house training? Where the dogs will be taken to a veterinarian?
Where the adults know how to teach the children to be patient and gentle
and consistent on a day in and day out basis? Where the dogs will get
training in good manners? Where the families are committed to keeping
that puppy for the length of its good and healthy life?

Because it sounds to me like the R.E.A.D program may have inadvertently
acted as the worst sort of advertising. The kids meet this terrific dog
at school, hound their parents for one so they can have one of their
very own that they don't have to share, then discover that a full-time
dog isn't all the fun stuff where a perfect dog comes to them already
trained and perfect.

We all know what happens to dogs where the family isn't prepared to
troubleshoot normal behaviors. In this case, not only is it tragic for
the dog, the implications for the kids who can't understand why Tuck II
peed on the carpet, ate Mom's good winter boots and finally got sent
away for snapping, are heartbreaking.

--Lia

Old March 6th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Julia Altshuler spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy wrote:

[...]

EXACTLY

And the kids are coming to school complaining because their dogs pee on the
floor and the house smells like poop and pee. And their dog doesn't act
like Tuck.

Myself and my friends who are also doing the READ program are scrambling
for AKC materials on responsible dog owning to pass out .. not only to the
classes.. but to the whole SCHOOL.

We also need fast intervention on dog safety awareness for the whole
school.
The kids we work with, have been taught how to properly approach a dog, and
ask permission to pet them. And ask where the dog prefers to be petted.

It's the kids transitioning classes in the halls where every kid in a line,
reaches for the dogs, and mobs them, grabbing them aroung the necks and
giving them big hugs, and even outside the school, parents waiting to pick
up their kids, see them, and jump out of their vehicles " IS that TUCK?"
and mob him, without asking.

We have asked the school to put on a safety with dogs presentation.

We provide the materials graciously provided by the AKC for free.

OUR kids aren't the problem. It's the kids we never have contact with that
are exposing themselves to dangers, because they don't have a clue how to
approach a dog safely. The dogs in the school were pre-selected, trained
and evaluated for stability before ever being allowed in the school, and
are carrying special insurance...just in case.

It's as heartbreaking as it sounds, unfortunately.

Danny was in the schools. I have been active in Elkhound rescue ever since.
I made them popular in this area, and my area, to this day, produces more
rescues from Elkhounds than any other part of the country.

There is a penalty for being involved. When I go into the schools, I don't
tell anyone what breed he is. And now the mutts of the world are paying
the price for being involved.
Old March 6th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

diddy wrote:

EXACTLY

And the kids are coming to school complaining because their dogs pee on the
floor and the house smells like poop and pee. And their dog doesn't act
like Tuck.

We have asked the school to put on a safety with dogs presentation.

We provide the materials graciously provided by the AKC for free.

It's as heartbreaking as it sounds, unfortunately.

Oh shoot. I was hoping I was wrong.
It sounds like you're doing all you reasonably can.

--Lia

Old March 6th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

diddy wrote:

EXACTLY

And the kids are coming to school complaining because their dogs pee on
the floor and the house smells like poop and pee. And their dog doesn't
act like Tuck.

We have asked the school to put on a safety with dogs presentation.

We provide the materials graciously provided by the AKC for free.

It's as heartbreaking as it sounds, unfortunately.

Oh shoot. I was hoping I was wrong.
It sounds like you're doing all you reasonably can.

--Lia

AKC also has a Canine Ambassador program. AKC provides much literature,
movies, and coloring books and activities free on request for responsible
dog care, responsible breeding practices, and responsible dog ownership.

They sent us 100 packets. We responded, this is NOT enough. It's the school
we need help with. They called me back today. We had a long talk about the
problem. They are contacting the school principle tomorrow to see how much
cooperation they will get. And how many copies are needed.

AKC has been most supportive.

We've already discussed the problem with the Superintendent. I know there
will be full cooperation. The school is VERY cooperative in the READ
program and treasures the therapy dogs participating.
Old March 6th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

diddy wrote:

AKC also has a Canine Ambassador program. AKC provides much literature,
movies, and coloring books and activities free on request for responsible
dog care, responsible breeding practices, and responsible dog ownership.

They sent us 100 packets. We responded, this is NOT enough. It's the school
we need help with. They called me back today. We had a long talk about the
problem. They are contacting the school principal tomorrow to see how much
cooperation they will get. And how many copies are needed.

AKC has been most supportive.

We've already discussed the problem with the Superintendent. I know there
will be full cooperation. The school is VERY cooperative in the READ
program and treasures the therapy dogs participating.

I'm glad AKC is doing so much.

I suppose it's possible that there are kids in the READ program whose
parents are excellent readers who are in the habit of getting
information from the printed word. I think it more likely, though, that
the kids who got new puppies have parents who might be functionally
literate but who don't read all the time and regularly and who think of
going to the library when they need to know something.

That's what worries me about packets. Nothing wrong with packets, but
the parents might be the sort who take in information different ways.

And even if they did read the packets, look at all the times on this
list when we end up telling new dog owners that they need in-person
help. Reading about dog training isn't the same as having someone watch
you interact with your dog and help you notice everything and help with
timing.

Out of curiousity-- Are Tucks II, III, IV, V, and VI elkhounds? Were
they chosen to look like Tuck the First? Of did the kids go for
smaller, cuter, or something more like Beethoven, Eddie, Lassie or Murray?

--Lia

Old March 6th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

diddy wrote:

AKC also has a Canine Ambassador program. AKC provides much literature,
movies, and coloring books and activities free on request for
responsible dog care, responsible breeding practices, and responsible
dog ownership.

They sent us 100 packets. We responded, this is NOT enough. It's the
school we need help with. They called me back today. We had a long talk
about the problem. They are contacting the school principal tomorrow to
see how much cooperation they will get. And how many copies are needed.

AKC has been most supportive.

We've already discussed the problem with the Superintendent. I know
there will be full cooperation. The school is VERY cooperative in the
READ program and treasures the therapy dogs participating.

I'm glad AKC is doing so much.

I suppose it's possible that there are kids in the READ program whose
parents are excellent readers who are in the habit of getting
information from the printed word. I think it more likely, though, that
the kids who got new puppies have parents who might be functionally
literate but who don't read all the time and regularly and who think of
going to the library when they need to know something.

Actually some of the kids in the READ program are excellent readers too.
Some of the kids are in intervention for many divergent reasons. One is a
fragile diabetic. Being a kid, he's tempted by candy, and he's been in
school for READ twice since Christmas. The rest of the time, he's in the
hospital.

Some are excellent readers....except legally blind.

Some have hearing AND sight issues.

One is a good reader, but autistic. (He's never made eye contact with
anyone, and suddenly he IS making eye contact with me. I feel honored!)

But there are many reasons for them for being in intervention other than
being poor readers or retarded.

There are a few that really ARE retarded. I worry about them. But they CAN
read! I see what these teachers have done with these students, and the
lengths they go to see they get educated in spite of their issues (The READ
program is testimony to this) and I'm just amazed.

That's what worries me about packets. Nothing wrong with packets, but
the parents might be the sort who take in information different ways.

We do what we can.

And even if they did read the packets, look at all the times on this
list when we end up telling new dog owners that they need in-person
help. Reading about dog training isn't the same as having someone watch
you interact with your dog and help you notice everything and help with
timing.

I tell these kids every day.. Tuck goes to school every day..even when they
don't (I don't tell them he's home schooled.. but he is enrolled in
classes in 3 different dog clubs)

I also tell them, that all of the dogs they see in this school are owned
and handled by Instructors at the Greenville Area Dog Club. (Who's website
was created by the gracious generousity of montana!)

So they all know that these dogs are trained locally at the local dog club.

Out of curiousity-- Are Tucks II, III, IV, V, and VI elkhounds?

None of them. But I've never mentioned Tuck's breed. They just think he's a
"snow dog"

When asked what breed he is. I simply say "Nordic Spitz"

Were
they chosen to look like Tuck the First? Of did the kids go for
smaller, cuter, or something more like Beethoven, Eddie, Lassie or
Murray?

I have not seen their dogs. I really don't know. I know one Tuck is a
chocolate Lab.

--Lia

Old March 6th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

diddy wrote:

[...]

and handled by Instructors at the Greenville Area Dog Club. (Whose website
was created by the gracious generousity of montana!)

So they all know that these dogs are trained locally at the local dog club.

None of them. But I've never mentioned Tuck's breed. They just think he's a
"snow dog"

When asked what breed he is. I simply say "Nordic Spitz"

I have not seen their dogs. I really don't know. I know one Tuck is a
chocolate Lab.

Until this moment, I thought the READ program was only for slow readers.
I see now that the program is broader than I originally thought.

I started imagining telling the kids that Tuck is a very special dog who
cost zillions of dollars and learns so well because he's magic. That
might deter the kids from getting a puppy, naming it Tuck, and expecting
the world.

Nah, that wouldn't work either. It never works to lie to kids, but
sometimes it's a challenge to tell them the truth in a way that they'll
understand.

--Lia

Ping Diddy cajunpaisley Dog behavior 1 October 26th 07 01:34 PM
Ping diddy or anyone? tiny dancer Dog behavior 4 September 3rd 07 07:09 AM
Ping diddy Barb E Dog behavior 1 January 5th 07 08:44 PM
Ping diddy Barb E Dog behavior 1 December 29th 06 07:28 PM
Ping: diddy diddy Dog behavior 1 December 27th 06 05:21 PM