Why would a breeder ignore emails?

Old March 9th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default Why would a breeder ignore emails?

After doing a lot of research into various breeds and sizes, I decided
I wanted to get a Toy American Eskimo. It's still going to be a little
while (a year or more) before I can afford a dog, but while doing my
research and talking to other Eskie owners, I've found out it'd be a
good idea to start contacting breeders now, anyway, and get to know
them. So I've been trying to get in contact with a few. I've been
sending polite emails introducing myself, and explaining that I'm
interested in owning a Toy Eskie, where I live, my history with pets
(several cats, dogs, a guinea pig and a gerbil), my living situation
(an apartment, though I live close to several parks and the family
farm), and that I'm interested in a pet, rather than a show dog.
However, I've never recieved a response to any of my emails. I'm
wondering if I've somehow offended the breeders I've contacted, or if
I'm doing something wrong. Is it possible I offended some of the
breeders? Or just showed up as a red flag because I'm fairly young
(21)?

Other than that, are there any tips for contacting breeders? When is
it okay to ask questions about the testing they do on their dogs, or
the price of the puppies, and other things like that? Also, if I've
tried contacting a specific breeder twice (waiting enough time in
between to allow for a busy schedule), should I just give up? Email is
the only option with this particular breeder, and I've always made
sure to follow the directions on her website as to what to make the
subject of the email so it doesn't get filtered out as junk mail.
Old March 10th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Margaret

wrote in message
[...]

There may be any number of reasons you have not received replies to your
emails. I would suggest that you go to dog shows in your area and speak
with various exhibitors directly. This gives you a chance to actually meet
some dogs as well as their owners. If you meet a breeder/exhibitor and talk
to them, they are more likely to be responsive in the future because you can
remind them that you met at such and such show.
Showing up in person indicates a more serious interest (to me) than an email
from a stranger.
I also agree with the previous poster re. AKC.

Margaret

Old March 10th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

I've mostly been doing things online trying to find breeders, etc. I
tend to be a bit shy when it comes to contacting people, even through
email. I'll definately look into the parent club though, as well as
shows, but I'm a little confused about them. I have looked to see when
there are shows in my area, but how can you tell if there's going to
be certain breeds there? Does it matter what dog club hosts it? I've
never been to a dog show before so I'm not really sure on how that
stuff works.

Thank you for the help though, it really is appreciated.
Old March 10th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Margaret

wrote in message
I've mostly been doing things online trying to find breeders, etc. I
tend to be a bit shy when it comes to contacting people, even through
email. I'll definately look into the parent club though, as well as
shows, but I'm a little confused about them. I have looked to see when
there are shows in my area, but how can you tell if there's going to
be certain breeds there? Does it matter what dog club hosts it? I've
never been to a dog show before so I'm not really sure on how that
stuff works.

There are different dog show superintendents in different areas of the
country. Superintendents help the local clubs put on the shows.
You might go to www.onofrio.com or www.infodog.com
and look for up-coming shows in your area.
An all breed dog show will have many, but not always all, recognized breeds
entered.
A specialty show will have just one breed entered.
Once entries have closed (2 weeks before the show) you can get a list of the
number and kinds of dogs entered and what time they will be judged.
Many all breed shows now offer "tours" for new comers.
The AKC website has information about dog shows and how they are organized
(it's really just a process of elimination that goes on all day culminating
in the Best in Show award).
It also has a listing of kennel clubs so you can find ones near you.
Have you ever watched any of the dogs shows on TV (Eukanuba, Westminster)?
"Dog people" generally love to talk about their breed so if you approach
them at the right time (after they've been in the ring!), you should find
them receptive to your questions.

Old March 10th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Thanks for the links, and the info on dog shows! I DO watch them on TV
whenever I catch one, I just haven't ever been to one in person.

Performance shows are the ones with agility contests, right? Things
like flyball, etc?

I've never actually met a Toy American Eskimo in person either! So I'm
not sure. I wouldn't mind getting a Miniature one, when it comes down
to it. I'm just afraid that, being in an apartment, a Standard-sized
Eskie wouldn't have enough room to be herself, which is why I'm
wanting a Toy or Mini. Most of the videos I've seen of Eskies don't
have a lot of barking in them, though the smaller ones do seem to have
a bit shriller of a bark.
Old March 11th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Maximus

On 10 Mar 2008 03:31:16 GMT, Rocky wrote:

said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Other than that, are there any tips for contacting breeders?

Web searches (if that's what you're doing) are last on my list
of good ways to find the right breeder. Good breeders don't
advertise puppies for sale, just brags and potential breedings.
And many don't have websites.

The best way is to meet people. Go to shows (conformation and
performance) and talk to the people who handle them. Make some
contacts - Yahoo groups can be good for general stuff and to
point you to events in your area.

And, FWIW, it's never too early to ask about health testing. I
don't know why, but many breeders' sites don't mention health
testing even when their dogs generally prove well.

I've never met a Toy American Eskimo Dog, but know plenty of
Miniatures - do their barks get shriller as their size gets
smaller?

All good advise so far but those telling you to go to shows may not be
condering your location or desires. If a breeder does not have an
internet presence and does not answer your emails then you need to
continue searching until you find one that does. Breeders after all
want to sell their pups and so should communicated with you whether
you qualify for their pup or not.

It is the internet age and most if good breeders now have websites
with contact info. If they have a phone number listed then call them.

Just don't give up looking as finding the right breeder with the right
attitude takes some time.
Old March 11th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Judy

"Maximus" wrote in message
All good advise so far but those telling you to go to shows may not be
condering your location or desires.

I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and there are dog shows near
enough me. At least if I was interested enough in making sure that I get
the right breed to live with for the next fifteen years. There may not be a
show within an hour of your home in the next month but there almost
certainly *is* a show. And if not, by working with the national breed club,
you can locate a breeder within a reasonable distance of your home. I did
this with a couple of breeds that I thought I might be interested in. I
contacted the breeders and made it clear that I wasn't looking for an
immediate puppy but rather was interested in finding out more about their
breed and spending a little time with some of the dogs, talking with someone
knowledgeable about the breed. No one refused to find time to meet with me.

If a breeder does not have an
internet presence and does not answer your emails then you need to
continue searching until you find one that does.

No true. Very few of the good breeders that I know have an internet
presence. They have information available to potential puppy owners through
the national breed club. But a website? Not exactly a rule of thumb in
making your choice.

Breeders after all
want to sell their pups and so should communicated with you whether
you qualify for their pup or not.

Good breeders are not so concerned about selling their pups as they are at
making the right choice for a home for one of the pups they have brought
into the world. In the case of a responsible breeder, they are committed to
*keeping* that pup and *not* selling it if a home better than what they
offer is not available.

It is the internet age and most if good breeders now have websites
with contact info. If they have a phone number listed then call them.

Not the website, but again, the national breed club will have contact info
for people who are willing to talk and meet with potential owners. Contact
info consisting of an e-mail address and/or a phone number.

You need to meet with someone who knows the breed. You need to see the
actual dogs. You need to be in the same room with the dogs. None of these
things can be accomplished with a website. Yes, it will take a little more
effort than sitting at your computer and looking at pretty pictures and
reading flowery prose about how wonderful this particular breeder is and how
wonderful the breed is and especially how wonderful their dogs are. But you
need to do this face to face.

Judy

Test: Ignore Jorge Posada Dog health 0 August 19th 06 04:38 AM
plse ignore - test only Mike Dog breeds 0 August 5th 06 01:11 PM
Test: Please ignore JKC Dog behavior 0 January 21st 06 08:47 AM
test - pls ignore ellis Dog health 0 November 8th 05 10:23 AM