Very Strange Buddy Behavior

Old March 9th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Very Strange Buddy Behavior

I got an email from David today about Buddy that said, pretty much
verbatim, "Buddy is having some kind of seizure activity or some brain
thing. He is at the vets.***He will only move if his leash is on... and
has fallen in love with all doors. Not sure what to think with this
one."

I responded with, basically, "Huh?" and he responded that "He has to be
at a door.**Won't leave a doorway. It's sooo strange. He was fine
yesterday except for when he would go on and off the porch, he would
only go throught the rails.

"This morning I woke up and his eyes were dilated, and he would not go
out, sat at the door... *would eat at the door... or stand outside at
the door... **Couldn't even get him to leave the doorway for a hotdog.
Fine with his leash on.

"Got him to the vet and he had to stay in any door way we stopped at."

And, in a third email (after I mentioned about posting this), "I thought
he had a stroke....head tilted and the behavior...but the vet thinks it
was a seizure,*or a precursor to a major seizure."

I agree that this sounds like something neurological (and, to me, it
doesn't sound good), but does anyone have any ideas? As mentioned,
Buddy is already at the vet.

He didn't mention that Buddy appears to be in any distress or anything
like that. Oh, I should mention that Buddy does have and is being
treated for Lyme, if that rings any bells. (Got Lyme despite being
vaccinated for it and despite the yard being sprayed for ticks.) I've
never heard of anything like this or anything even close to it.

(Oh, and I guess I should also mention that Buddy is a mostly-Lab mix of
some kind, very dark brown but with a distinct stripe of slightly
lighter brown down his spine. Early life unknown, he was a stray that
started hanging around David's house when he was about four months old.)
--
Kevin Michael Vail* * | I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
* * * | than one closed by belief. * -- Gerry Spence
Old March 9th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message
I got an email from David today about Buddy that said, pretty much
verbatim, "Buddy is having some kind of seizure activity or some brain
thing. He is at the vets. He will only move if his leash is on... and
has fallen in love with all doors. Not sure what to think with this
one."

I responded with, basically, "Huh?" and he responded that "He has to be
at a door. Won't leave a doorway. It's sooo strange. He was fine
yesterday except for when he would go on and off the porch, he would
only go throught the rails.

"This morning I woke up and his eyes were dilated, and he would not go
out, sat at the door... would eat at the door... or stand outside at
the door... Couldn't even get him to leave the doorway for a hotdog.
Fine with his leash on.

"Got him to the vet and he had to stay in any door way we stopped at."

And, in a third email (after I mentioned about posting this), "I thought
he had a stroke....head tilted and the behavior...but the vet thinks it
was a seizure, or a precursor to a major seizure."

I agree that this sounds like something neurological (and, to me, it
doesn't sound good), but does anyone have any ideas? As mentioned,
Buddy is already at the vet.

He didn't mention that Buddy appears to be in any distress or anything
like that. Oh, I should mention that Buddy does have and is being
treated for Lyme, if that rings any bells. (Got Lyme despite being
vaccinated for it and despite the yard being sprayed for ticks.) I've
never heard of anything like this or anything even close to it.

(Oh, and I guess I should also mention that Buddy is a mostly-Lab mix of
some kind, very dark brown but with a distinct stripe of slightly
lighter brown down his spine. Early life unknown, he was a stray that
started hanging around David's house when he was about four months old.)
--
Kevin Michael Vail | I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
| than one closed by belief. -- Gerry Spence

Since Buddy is already at the vets, and any sort of *medical* condition
should be diagnosed by the vet, I'm just going to throw something out there
'non-medical'. IIRC, Buddy lives in N.C.?? If so, we had a whole night and
day of hellacious winds in these parts. Shingle ripping, tree downing,
fence downing WINDS, howling something fierce. Could something have
frightened Buddy, maybe? The lab mixes I've been familiar with tended to be
a little *neurotic* about things like that.

td

Old March 10th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
"tiny dancer" wrote:

Since Buddy is already at the vets, and any sort of *medical* condition
should be diagnosed by the vet, I'm just going to throw something out there
'non-medical'. IIRC, Buddy lives in N.C.?? If so, we had a whole night and
day of hellacious winds in these parts. Shingle ripping, tree downing,
fence downing WINDS, howling something fierce. Could something have
frightened Buddy, maybe? The lab mixes I've been familiar with tended to be
a little *neurotic* about things like that.

Well, Buddy is home now and refuses to have anything to do with the
kitchen...the doctor says he must be sensing something which is causing
him to act this way. Not an animal, or Maggie would be going crazy
trying to find it. I just talked to him on the phone and Buddy was
resting on the couch, perfectly normally, but won't to into the kitchen
for any reason.

I asked him to keep me posted on this and he said he would.
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*
Old March 10th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

I asked him to keep me posted on this and he said he would.

Following myself up...Buddy will now go into the kitchen, sorta kinda,
but will *not* be near one side, where the cabinets are, and
incidentally where the main support beam for the house is underneath it.
I told David I hope that's not it but it would explain why Buddy wants
to be outside.

Very strange.
--
Bright eyes/burning like fire, * * * * * | Kevin Michael Vail
Bright eyes/how can you close and fail?* |
Old March 10th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

I asked him to keep me posted on this and he said he would.

Following myself up...Buddy will now go into the kitchen, sorta kinda,
but will *not* be near one side, where the cabinets are, and
incidentally where the main support beam for the house is underneath it.
I told David I hope that's not it but it would explain why Buddy wants
to be outside.

Very strange.

Did David happen to mention whether they had the rough weather/severe winds
where he is located? I wonder, could something have hit the house, some
loud noise, something that could have frightened Buddy? Our dogs had
various reactions to the weather. Gracie crawled under the covers in our
bed, and planted herself firmly between us, covered completely against the
severe howling winds.

td

Old March 10th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
Terri wrote:

While I do love a mystery, I'd much rather it not be about what's
frightening him so much. How incredibly odd. Do keep us posted when
David figures it out. Did I miss the vet ruling out seizures and
strokes?

He was perfectly normal at the vet, so yes. They'll all be gone for the
rest of the week (David lives in Asheville four days of the week at the
moment, for school) so Buddy won't have to worry about the house for a
while. I just hope the house doesn't collapse while they're gone--er,
if it's going to I'd rather it be while they were gone, but you know
what I mean.
Old March 10th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Kevin Michael Vail wrote:
Oh, I should mention that Buddy does have and is being
treated for Lyme, if that rings any bells. (Got Lyme despite being
vaccinated for it and despite the yard being sprayed for ticks.) I've
never heard of anything like this or anything even close to it.

Probably not related, but Lyme *can* cause weird neurological issues.

--
Shelly

Strange Behavior teleflora Dog behavior 19 September 20th 07 08:50 PM
Strange behavior [email protected] Dog behavior 0 January 27th 07 06:40 AM
Strange behavior Remondelli Nicholas Dog health 0 June 22nd 05 12:02 AM
Strange Dog Behavior Pelufo Dog health 2 February 22nd 05 09:47 AM
strange dog behavior [email protected] Dog behavior 3 January 14th 05 10:07 AM