Biting dachshund

Old March 13th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mike Gaskins

Default Biting dachshund

I've got a 3 year old miniature dachshund that I'm having an issue
with. She is incredibly aggressive towards strangers, but most of the
time is fine around the family (which given that we rarely have
visitors inside the house, is usually not an issue).

HOWEVER, she tends to get aggressive even with us when food is
involved. I've thrown her the occasional treat for example, and she
seemed disinterested, but when I proceeded to walk by it on the floor
on my way to another room she jumped at my ankle and bit me. Just
last night there was a slightly bloody meat tray in the trash (from
making hamburgers) that she pulled out. I told her "No" and when I
reached down to pick the tray up and put it back in the trash she
snapped and bit my hand. It's strange. When there's no food she's
fine with us and will come sit in our laps watching tv and everything.

I've never seen a dog do this before. Admittedly most of my childhood
dogs growing up were labs which were very well tempered, and my other
dog which stays outside which is a pitbull/lab mix is the calmest dog
in the world (a lot of the neighborhood kids love playing with him -
he's totally non-aggressive).

Any suggestions on the little dachshund?

Thanks.

Mike
Old March 13th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Mike Gaskins spoke these words of wisdom in
:

[...]

She's in control. Take back control. Get help. Take her to dog school so
experienced people can help you. This dog needs dog school. No substitutes.
I'd tell you how to start going about this, but it might get you to find
excuses NOT to go to dog school. While you are at dog school, ask the
teacher about implementing NILIF.

Get thee to dog school before someone gets hurt.
Old March 13th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
Mike Gaskins wrote:

Any suggestions on the little dachshund?

You need in person help asap. Call you vet or local shelter and ask for
a recommendation.

Why does your other dog live outside?

--
Janet Boss
Old March 13th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyllis Stone

"Mike Gaskins" wrote in message
[...]

I read my husband this because we also have a dachshund but he doesn't bite.
My husband said she needed more protein. Who knows? Maybe he is right but I
thought it was funny.

Old March 13th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mike Gaskins

On Mar 13, 3:36 pm, Janet Boss
wrote:
Why does your other dog live outside?

He's a little too big to keep inside the house, and we have a fairly
large yard for him to play in so it works out well. Traditionally
most of my dogs have been "outside only", with "Boo" (the dachshund)
being our first dog we keep in the house.

Mike
Old March 13th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

wrote:
Why does your other dog live outside?

He's a little too big to keep inside the house, and we have a fairly
large yard for him to play in so it works out well. Traditionally
most of my dogs have been "outside only", with "Boo" (the dachshund)
being our first dog we keep in the house.

Mike

I can't imagine a dog too big for my house. But then, on special
occassions, my 1400 pound horse has been found lounging in the kitchen, or
crashing my couch.
I can't understand why someone would have a dog, then keep it outside.
Unless.. the people live outside like nomads too. Otherwise, why have a
dog, unless it becomes just another thing to feed and vet.

Old March 13th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Mike Gaskins wrote:
He's a little too big to keep inside the house,

What happens when he's inside that's related to his size?

Old March 14th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
Mike Gaskins wrote:

He's a little too big to keep inside the house,

Hmmm. I've never found a dog who has been too big to keep inside the
house. I've had an IW stay in my 1200 sf house (600 sf per floor), a
Kuvasz, many retrievers (and multiples of same). What happens that
makes a dog too big for a house?

--
Janet Boss
Old March 14th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Mike said in part...
He is a little too big to keep inside and we have a fairly large yard
for him to play in so it works out well...
_____________________
Mike,
I know you did not come here for advice about your dog that lives
outside and I do not mean to pile on. There are people that choose to
have dogs outside and they don't neglect or abuse them. I just have to
say that I really think you are missing out on some good times. I have
2 Pit Bull mixes and a Lab mix and a Border Collie mix. They all live
inside and I have a very small house, but there is room for them.
Please think about bringing your "good" dog in. Good luck with training
for the Doxie.

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 14th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius

Mike Gaskins wrote:

On Mar 13, 3:36 pm, Janet Boss
wrote:
Why does your other dog live outside?

He's a little too big to keep inside the house, and we have a fairly
large yard for him to play in so it works out well.

While I have known a number of dogs that have been kept outside,
including my in-laws' GSDs, the happiest dogs that I have been allowed
indoor priviledges. Their owners also seemed to be happier with the
situation than the owners of outdoor dogs. Of my two dogs, my lab mix is
larger than any (true) pit bull I have met, and both are kept indoors.
Others that post here have far larger dogs and packs in their house and
manage very well.

Dachshund HELP! silberj Dog behavior 4 July 17th 06 11:21 PM
Dachshund Bekki Wilkins Dog behavior 8 January 17th 05 06:52 PM
13 yr old Dachshund burrowing David B. Dog behavior 54 September 3rd 04 11:10 PM
Help! My Dachshund is not himself. Rick Dog health 6 July 30th 03 05:46 PM
Help! My Dachshund is not himself. Rick Dog health 0 July 30th 03 04:09 AM