My new Black lab.. How long to acclimate?

Old October 21st 03, 08:11 PM
Rat Salad

Default My new Black lab.. How long to acclimate?

After posing questions of breed suitibility (and leaning toward
Mountain View Cur) This news group convinced me to Go Lab.

Found a breeder with a 8 month old Lab Here is web site info if
interested

http://www.geocities.com/anthemlabra...TimmyPage.html - My dogs
Dad

http://www.geocities.com/anthemlabra...cturePage.html - Mom

At 8 months the dog was brought from a country kennel environment
(hardley any human handling) to a Chicago neighborhood thats pretty
quiet but not quite country.

We brought him home Saturday 10-18-03

In just a few days the new lab gets on great in its new home, learned
stairs, greets people happily,housebroke himself after 1st night and
plays with my 3yo son and my 14 yo mutt.

But....

When on-leash (another new experience for him) he is afraid of people
we run into walking and he is a lil jumpy with car doors and truck
sounds too.

We have time to decide whether to keep this dog.

Do some of these traits seem like normal acclimation stuff, how long
before wthey should go away?

It's not that I do not want the dog... but if he feels fear when I
walk him, he may fit a better true suburb or country home.

I really like him.. would like him to be happy!
Old October 21st 03, 09:40 PM
Lori Reynolds

Reminds me of when we got our second greyhound. He was scared to death of
every little sound. Like when I ripped off a piece of tinfoil from the
package, he almost hit the ceiling! But he soon got used to the strange
sights and sounds he had never experienced and has made a wonderful loving
and very confident pet.

Please give your new buddy plenty of time and be reassuring when he
experiences new and exciting things. Maybe distract him with treats while
on your walks?
--
Lori in Peoria, IL

om...

Old October 21st 03, 10:17 PM
Stafford A. Rau

"Lori Reynolds" writes:

Reminds me of when we got our second greyhound. He was scared to death of
every little sound. Like when I ripped off a piece of tinfoil from the
package, he almost hit the ceiling! But he soon got used to the strange
sights and sounds he had never experienced and has made a wonderful loving
and very confident pet.

We recently added a second dog to our family, a border collie/bearded
collie mix, who came from a shelter in a _very_ rural area.

First day or two at our house: Jumped every time a car went by, afraid
of the staircases, very submissive to our overly-confident and
outgoing first dog, another border collie cross. Very very timid
around other dogs at the off-leash park.

Next couple of days: Barked at cars going by, learned how to ascend
and descend stairs easily, started to enjoy wrestling and playing bitey
face with dog number one. Sniffed at a few dogs at the park.

After a couple of weeks: Mostly ignores all vehicles going by,
galumphs like a herd of elephants up and down the stairs, through the
living room, down into the basement, up into the attic, started
stealing dog number one's bones, tried humping her a few times,
getting ready to move from the amature to pro wrestling
circuit. Actively herding the other dogs at the park.

It just take a little time...
--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org