Beanie's former "dad"

Old March 16th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

Default Beanie's former "dad"

The family we got Beanie from has a lot of problems. One of the major
problems was the "dad" who has substance abuse issues, at one point
extremely severe. I swear it's hard-wired into the family genes.

He's been sober for a while now and is seriously working the program.
He lives nearby - actually in a building where I used to live. He was
doing a job with DH today and DH asked if I could have Beanie ready for
a visit when they came back. The phone rang and there was a voice
saying, "Release the hounds!" so I got the girls ready.

Beanie was excited to greet her former dad. I gave him some disgusting
extruded dog treats to give the girls and they were thrilled. She did
everything to him that we don't allow her to do with anybody else, like
jumping up and trying to stick her tongue in his mouth and nose. He was
happy, she was happy, there was joy abounding for about five minutes.
Then she was looking for DH and me and appeared to want to move on (and
investigate the intense skunk smell in the front yard).

I've seen that behavior from our other dogs who used to live with DH &
his former GF and I find it interesting. I'm sure any of them would be
happy to go back with a nice former owner but they're also happy here.
She's not going anywhere, but it was good to see that she still loves
him.

Beanie's "dad" talked about how much he missed her and that he
sometimes sees a dog near his apartment that looks just like her, which
makes him miss her more. The dog that looks like the Beans is Moxie
(Gigi). She lives about two blocks away from him.

Old March 16th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

montana wildhack spoke these words of wisdom
in news:2008031521402916807-montana@wildhackcominvalid:

[...]

I love "remember" stories, as I like to see how long a dog has retention.
Which seems to be a long time
Old March 16th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-03-16 06:16:34 -0400, diddy none said:

I like to see how long a dog has retention.
Which seems to be a long time

I think they remember forever. First, I think the "smell" is embedded
in their brains although I have no evidence of that. I also remember a
Doodle story; she hated fireworks of any kind and one of the neighbor's
sons set off a bunch one Independence Day. She was outside when he
started this activity.

Previously, when he was outside, she would pay no attention, but after
that night she barked like mad at him. He didn't live with his parents.
We have a big privacy fence. Any time he came to visit, we'd know.

Our adult dogs have remembered people they liked, but I can't say that
Beanie's puppies remembered either DH or me - or we never got that
impression.

Old March 16th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

montana wildhack spoke these words of wisdom
in news:2008031610345516807-montana@wildhackcominvalid:

I think they remember forever. First, I think the "smell" is embedded
in their brains although I have no evidence of that.

I think so too
Old March 16th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Me too. When we first got Merlin, he mourned and grieved his prior *momma*.
Poor old guy watched out the front windows for at least an hour after she
drove off in her car. He was inconsolable. When it got dark outside,
he retreated to his bed and blanket she'd brought with her for him. We
tried and tried to console him, pet him, talk to him. He just cried
occasionally and curled up in a ball with his back to us, not wanting any
sort of consolation. He was so sad, I nearly called the girl back at
midnight to tell her she needed to come back and get him. His sadness broke
our hearts to see.

The first time she came back to see him again, he still mourned when she
left. Not as bad as the first time, but mourned still. The next time she
came back to visit him once again, he was happy to see her, greeted her, was
excited, but then went off to play with Gracie once again. And when she
left that time, he was okay. He *told* her goodbye, much like he would
anybody else who came regularly and left again. But he came back to our
sides again, understanding or accepting that he was now a part of our pack.
And he was happy or settled or accepting of that now.

They have so much emotion, 'eh? I'm always amazed at my friends who don't
have dogs and look at dogs as any other possession. It breaks, you replace
it, it gets old, you replace it, it dies, you 'get over it' and buy a *new*
one. No concept of the bond, the love, the need, etc.

Their loss.

td

Old March 16th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

On 2008-03-16 06:16:34 -0400, diddy none said:

I like to see how long a dog has retention.
Which seems to be a long time

I think they remember forever. First, I think the "smell" is embedded in
their brains although I have no evidence of that. I also remember a
Doodle story; she hated fireworks of any kind and one of the neighbor's
sons set off a bunch one Independence Day. She was outside when he
started this activity.

Previously, when he was outside, she would pay no attention, but after
that night she barked like mad at him. He didn't live with his parents.
We have a big privacy fence. Any time he came to visit, we'd know.

Our adult dogs have remembered people they liked, but I can't say that
Beanie's puppies remembered either DH or me - or we never got that
impression.

It most likely has to do with their brain development; although
human infants are like sponges in some ways, soaking up all kinds
of information about tasks, their world, vocabulary, they retain
little or no memory for the things that they do or people they
meet (those that disappear from their life) or things that happen
to them during their first three or so years of life ("episodes"
- or episodic memories) . I expect that's true of dogs, on a
much reduced time scale. Your puppies were given away before
their brains had matured enough to retain episodic memories, so
they probably did not have the ability to recognize you later.

Adults' ability to retain memories of one-shot associations,
especially when the episode is associated with fear, like
Doodle's associating the guy's smell with fireworks, can last a
lifetime. And when you think about it, that ability has great
survival value.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old March 17th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Montana said in part...
The family we got Beanie from has a lot of problems. One of the major
problems was the "dad" who has substance abuse issues, at one point
extremely severe. I swear it is hard wired into the family genes.
________________
Montana,
I think there is data that supports that theory. I attended classes
with someone that was in rehab. I was their support person in lieu of a
family member. I think the eldest child or the only child is
particularly at risk, of course that was the school of thought 20 years
ago, it seems to me every decade or so, child care, dog training, rehab,
etc. changes, sometimes back to one of the previous theories.
__________________
Montana said in part...
Beanie was excited to greet her former dad...
______________________
That was a bittersweet story. I wish for her former dad to be in a
place physically and mentally to be able to have another dog some day,
if he so desires.
I split up with my SO of 12 years and he was going to stay on in the
farm house we owned, so I left our last dog behind. She was my only
crazy Dobe, she was about 2, and a fear biter. No one could get close
to her, but me and my SO. I took great delight in hearing that she had
bitten my SO's new love as she reclined on my bed
Months later I returned to visit, she was inside the fence at the farm
house. She started growling and barking. I called out to her, hey
Lacey girl, she started wagging, jumping, and was so happy to see me.
She was like that till the day she died, about 10 years later, no matter
where they were living and no matter how long it had been between
visits.
I took in a mixed breed dog from the local 7-11. The employees said
she had come to the store with a car load of people in the middle of the
night on a "beer run". I put up flyers, put an ad in the paper. I
lived in a very small community, every one knew every one. No one
claimed her, after six months I had her spayed. One year later a friend
of a friend stopped by and said, that dog belongs to so-and-so. I said,
she has been here a year, and she is mine. The friend of a friend, so
and so, and her kid pulled up in a PU truck. I was standing at the door
with Sadie by my side. The friend of a friend brought me a picture of
so-and-so, the kid, and Sadie. Sadie showed no interest in him, she ran
out my front door when she heard the voice of her former owner and
jumped right into the truck via the window. My heart was broken, but I
couldn't argue with that. She definitely had fond memories of her
family. I later heard through the grape vine, Sadie's mom was annoyed
that I had her spayed.
I think dogs have a better memory of good and tend to be more likely
to let bad go. I really wonder how Jack would act if his former owners
showed up again. He was abused and severely neglected.
Montana, if you are still reading this novel, what happened to the
missing dog that belonged to Beanie's former family?
I think it was a Lab, was it ever found?

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 17th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"montana wildhack" wrote in message:

I think they remember forever.

We had a Lab, growing up, and dad left home when he was two or three years
old. When he came back two years later, the dog still remembered him. When
he came back another two years later, he clearly did not remember him.

Suja

Old March 17th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Suja wrote:

We had a Lab, growing up, and dad left home when he was two or three years
old. When he came back two years later, the dog still remembered him. When
he came back another two years later, he clearly did not remember him.

And then there's Odysseus's dog, Argos, of Greek mythology. Odysseus
played with his pup and took him hunting, then left on an Odyssey. When
he returns 20 years later in disguise, the old dog lifts his head and
wags a tail in recognition, then dies. --Lia

http://www.theoi.com/Text/HomerOdyssey17.html

And a hound that lay there raised his head and pricked up his ears,
Argos, the hound of Odysseus, of the steadfast heart, whom of old he had
himself bred, but had no joy of him, for ere that he went to sacred
Ilios. In days past the young men were wont to take the hound to hunt
the wild goats, and deer, and hares; but now he lay neglected, his
master gone, in the deep dung of mules and cattle, which lay in heaps
before the doors, till the slaves of Odysseus should take it away to
dung his wide lands. There lay the hound Argos, full of vermin; yet even
now, when he marked Odysseus standing near, he wagged his tail and
dropped both his ears, but nearer to his master he had no longer
strength to move. Then Odysseus looked aside and wiped away a tear,