Flatulence?

Old March 17th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Flatulence?

Hi, I have a problem, all of the dogs have the most gross smelling
gas, accompanied by growling of the stomach. The expelling of gas is
beyond audible. The smell is sickening.
I am including Lady because she has the stomach rumbling, she eats the
least, she is 37 pounds, I cannot attest to the fact that she is among
the gas letters.
Jubal Early had a couple of days of unexplained diarrhea, which is not
uncommon for him every few months. That has dissipated.
The gas has been going on for several days, probably 4 or 5. I have
not changed dog food. My friend bought the last bag of Purina. He
purchased it from the same store I always get it from. The food does
not smell rancid or different.
Jubal Early has been eating grass as if he were a cow. That is not
unusual for any of them, they just aren't doing it now.
My friend swears he has not given them anything from the table or any
treats other than what I provide. He and I totally disagree on behavior
and training methods. He undermines my training, however without him
the young dogs would not get the exercise they need. He is sickened by
the smell and now becoming concerned, so I don't think he would be
slipping them some treat (as he has done in the past without my
knowledge) because he is as concerned as I am about what is going on?
They have not been any where unusual in the last few weeks. The older
dogs don't go on the walks that we or he take the young dogs on, so it
is not something they got along that route.
Does anyone have any ideas about what could be behind this stinky,
yukky, noisy, gas? Of course, if they are still at it another few
days, with no dissipation in sight, I will have to take the worst
offenders to the Vet. (Jack and Buck)
Does anyone know of the web site I have seen posted here that compares
dog food and ingredients, if so would you please post it? Thanks, Judy

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 17th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

I think this is totally dependent on the food you are feeding.
Purina is crap.
Anything you can buy at the grocery store or stores like Wal Mart are
crap.
Just google the foods from the pet food recall.

I have 2 x-large dogs and they both get terrible gas if I feed them
anything with
grains and also chicken kibble. They can eat real chicken, but not
the kibble.

Because their stomachs are growling and they have excess gas, it's
telling you
that something is off. The food is fermenting in their bodies and
that's why they
have the gas. I would switch their food to a excellent quality. Try
to find something
without wheat or corn as these 2 ingredients are the culprits to many
dogs with
stomach and skin issues. Not all foods work for all dogs, and you
haven't said what kind yours are.
There are many good foods out there, but also stay away from vet
foods, as they
contain many grains as fillers. Same with Purina.
I would advise you to research what the ingredients actually mean.
Did you know that a chicken-by-product for example has everything in
it except
the meat that we eat? That means guts, beaks, feet, feathers etc.
Not something
I would want to feed my dog. The better the food, in the long run the
healthier the animal and
less bills at your vets office.

I will be missing some foods, but this will give you a start.

Natural Balance (they have allergy formula's)
Solid Gold
Innova
Candidae
Wellness (works for some, didn't work for one of mine)
Timberwolf
Taste of the Wild
Go Natural
Old March 17th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Mar 16, 8:30 pm, wrote:
I think this is totally dependent on the food you are feeding.
Purina is crap.
Anything you can buy at the grocery store or stores like Wal Mart are
crap.
Just google the foods from the pet food recall.

I have 2 x-large dogs and they both get terrible gas if I feed them
anything with
grains and also chicken kibble. They can eat real chicken, but not
the kibble. Your dogs can develop allergies at any time to the food

they are currently on.

Old March 17th 08, 10:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Purina is crap.

It depends on the individual feed. Some are crap, some are
okay.

I have 2 x-large dogs and they both get terrible gas if I feed them
anything with
grains and also chicken kibble. They can eat real chicken, but not
the kibble.

It sounds like they have hypersensitive digestive systems.
Allergies. Unquestionably you want to feed your dogs the
best food you can but it sounds to me as if the issue you're
dealing with is unhealthy dogs. The dogs *should* be able
to eat nearly any commercial food and do okay. If many
commercial feeds cause problems, there's something going on
with your dogs.

Old March 18th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Kevin said in part...
I don't have any advice or information, but wanted to point out this
might cure the clandestine treat thing.
_______________________
Kevin,
Don't be too sure, he would wear a gas mask before he would stop
giving them Venison, smoked Pork butt, Bream, and other assorted stuff.
I am just glad we don't have children, they would be spoiled and
psychotic, oh yeah, like the dogs
Seriously, aren't grapes on the "no" list? We have had green grapes
in the house of late, I wonder...

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 18th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Mastiffmomof2 said in part...
I think this is totally dependent on the food are feeding.
________________________
Mastiffmomof2
Thank you for taking the time to provide your input. Actually Purina
kibbles weren't involved in the recall. I have 4 dogs, two in their mid
teens and two that are 4. They have all been eating Purina since the
age of one. I am not disputing any of the things you said about Purina.
They all are likely true. I don't recall all 4 of them ever having a
bout of gas and rumbling guts that lasted for almost a week, at the same
time. That is why I posed my question.

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 18th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Matt said in part...
Even dogs which don't normally eat poop like the frozen variety...
Matt,
I've got one that has an affinity for cat poop and now that I have
Junie (the kitten) and a litter pan, he gets a nip now and then, and
believe me, I can tell when. The poop eater is Buck, and yes I can tell
when he has gotten lucky...pewww!
I wish those piles out side would freeze, but it has been in the 80's.
Buck only likes cat poop and I have the litter pan rigged so he hardly
ever gets at it.

Be Free.....Judy