Falsely Ringing Bell to Go Out

Old March 25th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Falsely Ringing Bell to Go Out

We have an 8 month old Poodle/Bichon mix that rings a bell to go
outside and go to the bathroom. Each day he will ring the bell a few
times to go outside but he does not always go to the bathroom. Any
thoughts on how we can retrain him to only ring the bell when he has
to go? He seems to "false ring" most often when we sit down to eat or
when we aren't paying attention to him.
Old March 25th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Any
thoughts on how we can retrain him to only ring the bell when he has
to go?

I don't fully understand the question. Does it matter why
he wants to go out? Or are you concerned that he's being
pushy and demanding attention?

I trained some of my dogs to ring a bell when they wanted to
go out (and I don't care whether they want to go out to play
or go out to pee), but after awhile I found it annoying so I
got rid of it. Now they sit next to me and stare, which is
pretty effective, too.

Old March 25th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

(snip)
--

A pack of bell-ringers all playing a different tune. Yes, that could get
annoying.

I didn't train the behavior, mine just started ringing the bells on their
own, and they are small bells. I don't care either, why they want to go
outside...they can play or pee or make the rounds as sentries.

What I really like about the bells is that the cats have also picked up the
behavior and will signal to go outside (my backyard is catproofed-no escape)
for elimination purposes. They started using two areas I have fenced off to
contain yard debris and the dogs can't access it for kitty poop.

It cuts way back on litter box usage, a very good thing.
Karla