Rock chips found in Alastian

Old March 25th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Rock chips found in Alastian

Hello Dog lovers/Helpers.
My daughter has a male Alsatian dog which was having difficulty in
moving it's bowels. and she took it to a vet who told her that they
had taken an X Ray of the dog and had found rock chips in the dog I
guess it was in the digestive system or/bowels. The dog has been fed a
well balanced diet and gets plenty of exercise.apparently the dog has
recently been eating his poo.
The vet advised to keep the dog closed in for a week in an effort to
break this habit.
Your advice on this disorder would be greatly appreciated.
Joe.
Old March 25th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
That won't do it. The dog needs training to learn to not eat rocks.

It sounded like the vet said that dog ingested rocks while
eating poop. That doesn't sound enormously likely to me,
but you never know.

I don't know that a dog can be trained not to eat rocks when
it's a compulsion. I know a couple of dogs who died from it
(pica runs in a particular line of Siberians). If the dog
really is a compulsive rock eater, and from the description
so far it's hard to tell, it's supervision, supervision,
supervision, and keeping keeping the yard picked up.

Old March 25th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hello Dog lovers/Helpers.
My daughter has a male Alsatian dog which was having difficulty in
moving it's bowels. and she took it to a vet who told her that they
had taken an X Ray of the dog and had found rock chips in the dog I
guess it was in the digestive system or/bowels. The dog has been fed a
well balanced diet and gets plenty of exercise.apparently the dog has
recently been eating his poo.
The vet advised to keep the dog closed in for a week in an effort to
break this habit.

I don't know what you mean by "closed in."

The most effective way to prevent a dog from eating his own poo is to
always be there when he poos, and to immediately pick it up.

Your advice on this disorder would be greatly appreciated.

If you're talking about the dog's eating of his own poo, it's called
coprophagia, and may or may not have anything to do with the rock
chips.

If someone's there to pick up the poo, he can't eat the poo, or the
rock chips that he may be inhaling along with the poo.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

This one is just for you, Judy (Althouse).
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...0808-nubs.html

Pierre Elliott Obama.
http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_p...html?id=397709

A snapshot of government-run health care.
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifes...84889820080320

The Obama Crash and Burn.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2MmM2MzNiZTc=

Way to go, Barry! Just throw your ailing grandmother under the bus! spit
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...andmother.html
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=25610

The Double Life of Barack Obama, by Thomas Sowell.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...hiOTM2MDI5NzM=

A message for Melinda Shore, Shelly Couvrette, et al., from The UK's Pat Condell!
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...ing_Islam&only

A book that every American should read (and NYT #1 bestseller): Liberal Fascism, by Jonah Goldberg
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascis.../dp/0385511841
Old March 26th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

This one is just for you..Judy (Althouse)
per HJM
_________________________________
HJM
Thanks, what a warm and fuzzy story, with a very happy ending for
Nubs. You know what they always say (Marines) when you want something
done, call the Marines. Nubs has an exquisite sense of smell. He
chose an officer for rescue. Way to go, Nubs! Nubs, you are one smart
dog. I am glad you didn't buddy up with a nobody, you chose a Marine
Pilot, good dog. Welcome to the land of the free.
Nubs is really lucky when it comes to the Marines, he could have ended
up with the Marine that allegdely tossed a dog off a cliff to his death
or a Marine that was going to befriend him and bring him home.

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 26th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:48:27 -0400, (Judith
Althouse) wrote:

This one is just for you..Judy (Althouse)
per HJM

[...]
HJM
Thanks, what a warm and fuzzy story, with a very happy ending for
Nubs. You know what they always say (Marines) when you want something
done, call the Marines. Nubs has an exquisite sense of smell. He
chose an officer for rescue. Way to go, Nubs! Nubs, you are one smart
dog. I am glad you didn't buddy up with a nobody, you chose a Marine
Pilot, good dog. Welcome to the land of the free.

And just when I was starting to think that you may have finally seen
the light...

Nubs is really lucky when it comes to the Marines, he could have ended
up with the Marine that allegdely tossed a dog off a cliff to his death
or a Marine that was going to befriend him and bring him home.

Or worse...he could have ended up with some dried-up old commie coot
in central Florida, who enjoys tossing dogs off bridges, after
slitting their throats with a rusty machete.

Allegedly.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

This one is just for you, Judy (Althouse).
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...0808-nubs.html

Thomas Sowell on Barack Obama - The Audacity of Rhetoric.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...3/post_25.html

Old March 26th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I missed the poop part. Unless the dog is always pooping on gravel, I
find it unlikely as well. Maybe the dog is kept in a run with a gravel
base?

I don't know, but I expect we've all tried to hide pills in
dog food only to have the dog pick out the itty-bitty pill
and refuse to eat it or spit it out.

The dogs with pica I've known have been kept off gravel and
have had the yard picked over by the owners, but some
managed to dig up rocks anyway.

Old March 26th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

Couple of points...

You need to tie down exactly where he's getting the rocks in to his system.
I'd certainly be more worried about that than the coprophasia (although they
may be linked). Cut off his supply of rocks. Sometimes I've heard where the
dog is getting at the rocks behind a backyard barbeque (where the fat has
dripped on them), Make sure this isn't the case.

In the meantime, its supervision, supervision, supervision until you get a
better idea of when/where the bad behavior is coming in.

Dale