my dog goes haywire in car

Old April 8th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sharon

Default my dog goes haywire in car

My 9 pound female terrier mix screeches uncontrollably whenever we are
in the car. Nothing shuts her up (muzzle, getting sprayed with water,
treats, etc). As we arrive at our destination and I begin to slow
down, the screeching becomes ear shattering. What can I do??

Thanks, Sharon
Old April 8th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

sharon spoke these words of wisdom in
:

My 9 pound female terrier mix screeches uncontrollably whenever we are
in the car. Nothing shuts her up (muzzle, getting sprayed with water,
treats, etc). As we arrive at our destination and I begin to slow
down, the screeching becomes ear shattering. What can I do??

Thanks, Sharon

My neighbors dog did that. I took him on a road trip (with their permission
of course) and when we were done, he road very quietly. I wore ear plugs for
the first 150 miles
Old April 8th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
sharon wrote:

My 9 pound female terrier mix screeches uncontrollably whenever we are
in the car. Nothing shuts her up (muzzle, getting sprayed with water,
treats, etc). As we arrive at our destination and I begin to slow
down, the screeching becomes ear shattering. What can I do??

I think general obedience and training goes a long way here. That,
secured riding, building up distance, etc.

As Diddy said, sometimes you just have to "do it". I brought a new
puppy home on an 8 hour drive. He screamed at me a fair amount. I
turned up the radio and kept driving. Not a lot of options. During his
first 2 weeks here, we went in the car a LOT. it got better each time.
He was an excellent traveler after that. Got in the car (his crate) and
was content and quiet for whatever length of time the trip took.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 8th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

You could try covering the side windows of the car with coverings such as a
towel or shades so that your dog cannot look out, thus less stimuli, until
she gets used to riding in the car quietly.

There's this little matter that the driver should be able to see out of
the windows!

--
Janet Boss
Old April 9th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 1:28 pm, sharon wrote:
My 9 pound female terrier mix screeches uncontrollably whenever we are
in the car. Nothing shuts her up (muzzle, getting sprayed with water,
treats, etc). As we arrive at our destination and I begin to slow
down, the screeching becomes ear shattering. What can I do??

I'm just wondering if the vet (or other scary destination) is the only
place you take her to.

Old April 9th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

=============
You could try covering the side windows of the car with coverings such as a
towel or shades so that your dog cannot look out, thus less stimuli, until
she gets used to riding in the car quietly. Or, put her in a crate and
cover the crate loosely with a towel, so she can't look out. See if that
works. She is probably barking at everything outside that you are driving
by. I saw this done with a dog on some show on TV, and it worked for that
dog.

Old April 9th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

"sharon" wrote in message
My 9 pound female terrier mix screeches uncontrollably whenever we are
in the car. Nothing shuts her up (muzzle, getting sprayed with water,
treats, etc). As we arrive at our destination and I begin to slow
down, the screeching becomes ear shattering. What can I do??

Thanks, Sharon

At nine pounds, I would think your dog could fit into a carrier for travel.
Perhaps once confined, with treats, her blankie, kong w/pb might help the
ride be more pleasant.

Once confined, as another good poster noted, ear plugs and a long ride.
Sing her a song, toss in a treat. Make it a positive experience.

Spraying her in the face with water I'm not sure is a good idea.

Kind regards,
(the)duckster

Old April 9th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

I meant the side windows; I have pull down sun shades installed in my van.
If that is not an option, then crate the dog and put a towel over the crate.

I know what you meant. I want to see out of the side windows. That's
safety for you! If you have pull down shades that completely block the
view, please let me know where you live so I can avoid you on the road.
Blind spots are not a good thing.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 9th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
pfoley wrote:
You should learn to use your side and rear mirrors and not turn around while
driving to look out the side windows in the back seat.

The dog box on the back of my pickup completely blocks the
rear window and makes it impossible to see what's directly
behind me. This isn't an particularly issue on the road,
although passing takes a little more care, but it's a big
issue in parking lots or any place I have to drive in
reverse.

I don't think it's correct to say that you never have to
look at what's directly behind you.

Old April 9th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

You should learn to use your side and rear mirrors and not turn around while
driving to look out the side windows in the back seat. An over excited dog
jumping and barking in the car is much more dangerous than allowing the
sunlight to come through the rear side windows. If you are constantly
turning around to look out the rear side windows, than I would consider you
a danger on the road.

I would never rely on just mirrors. My dogs ride safely in crates in
the rear of my vehicle. Nothing about "constantly". I always use my
mirror AND turn to check, when changing lanes. It's a safety thing.
Maybe remedial driving school would be a good idea for you.

--
Janet Boss