Another poop question

Old December 20th 04, 01:52 PM
buglady

Default Another poop question

"David Sherman" wrote in message
Dixie, year and a half Goldendoodle, has had very soft stool for nearly a
month.

The vet doesn't think previous bouts of soft stool had to do with

allergies.

1. She was bitten by another dog about a month ago - a very small bite

that
scabbed over and fell off. I don't know the other dog, so I don't know if
he's had all his shots.

................if it didn't get infected I doubt if that's the problem.

2. She chews sticks at the park. It occurs me that the city sometimes
spreads rat poison outside the dog run...

........rat poison acts fairly quickly - I think the poop turns bright green
IIRC. Your dog would also be feeling very sick as they bleed internally.

.......if your dog has had soft stool before, it's probably an ongoing
problem. Have you had the stool tested? Parasites like giardia are hard to
find with just one stool sample. She also could have coccidia, which causes
soft stools. I'd take a new stool sample in to start. Needs to be very
fresh. If they can't find anything after a couple of stool tests, I'd think
about some form of allergy - or perhaps a digestive enzyme might make a
difference.

.....if your dog has been on any antibiotics for anything recently you might
try probiotics for a while to see if the stool firms up. Does the stool
look greasy at all? Or smell really bad?

.......I'm assuming your dog acts normally other than the soft stools.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 21st 04, 02:01 PM
David Sherman

buglady wrote on 12/20/04 7:52 AM:

......if your dog has had soft stool before, it's probably an ongoing
problem. Have you had the stool tested? Parasites like giardia are hard to
find with just one stool sample. She also could have coccidia, which causes
soft stools. I'd take a new stool sample in to start. Needs to be very
fresh. If they can't find anything after a couple of stool tests, I'd think
about some form of allergy - or perhaps a digestive enzyme might make a
difference.

[....]

Well Buglady, you were right on the money!

The Vet found a lot of "bacteria" in her stool and wants to send the sample
to the lab for more tests.

The vet immediately has put her on 500 mg of Hetronidazole twice daily. She
might add something else if the lab finds giardia.

Are there any side effects to Hetronidazole that I should look for? She
seems a little fidgety and is sniffing a lot today.

Thanks a bunch.

Old December 21st 04, 11:31 PM
buglady

"David Sherman" wrote in message
The Vet found a lot of "bacteria" in her stool and wants to send the

sample
to the lab for more tests.

The vet immediately has put her on 500 mg of Hetronidazole twice daily.

She
might add something else if the lab finds giardia.

Are there any side effects to Hetronidazole that I should look for? She
seems a little fidgety and is sniffing a lot today.

...........I've never heard of hetronidazole. You might check Google. I'd
also call the vet and ask about side effects. Some drugs cause belly aches
and maybe that's why she's acting squirrely. Some need to be given with
food. If she still acts hinky after a couple days, I'd ask the vet for a
different drug.

Old December 22nd 04, 12:54 AM
diannes

David Sherman wrote:
The vet immediately has put her on 500 mg of Hetronidazole twice daily. She
might add something else if the lab finds giardia.

Are there any side effects to Hetronidazole that I should look for? She
seems a little fidgety and is sniffing a lot today.

Are you sure that you didn't misread the vet's handwriting?
I could find no information on anything named "Hetronidazole"
but a drug named Metronidazole is IME the most commonly
described treatment for GI symptoms such as you are describing.

As far as side effects go, it can make you nauseated and
also make your stomach feel pretty nasty to boot. (Yes, I
am speaking from personal experience here!)

More information:

http://www.drugs.com/metronidazole.html

HTH,

Dianne

Old December 22nd 04, 03:31 AM
Rocky

David Sherman said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

The vet immediately has put her on 500 mg of Hetronidazole
twice daily. She might add something else if the lab finds
giardia.

Metronidazole (aka Flagyl) is a broad spectrum drug that will
knock out all sorts of parasites. Not only did it help with
Rocky's giardia 6 years ago, but my dentist gave it to me before
a root canal.

General Question on dog Obedience joe Dog breeds 1 September 9th 04 10:04 PM
Poop Question Alison Perera Dog health 18 November 19th 03 11:31 PM
Poop Question Patricia Dog health 0 November 19th 03 02:41 PM
behavior question LL Dog rescue 0 October 3rd 03 07:29 AM