Overnight -how many hours?

Old December 1st 04, 02:36 AM

Default Overnight -how many hours?

How many hours can the typical dog "hold it" over night before having to
pee? Her last walk is at 9pm. We hope the next walk can be 8am.
Realistic or not?
~Q

Old December 1st 04, 06:53 PM
Tee

"Q" wrote in message
m...

That's interesting, Tara. We are looking at the rescue of a German
Shepherd,
about 8-10 years (nobody knows exactly). We live in an apartment, and
can't
be taking the dog out constantly. 3 or 4 walks is all we can muster. All
depends on her bladder, I guess. But I can't test that ahead of time.

Is the GSD in a rescue or shelter?

--
Tara

Old December 1st 04, 08:12 PM
Victoria Neff

Q wrote:

My dogs go out at 1-1:30am just to potty before I go to bed. They are used
to going out every 2-3 hours after dark. My Boxer could hold it all night
but my senior Min. Dachshund can't, hence the 1:30 break.

--
Tara

That's interesting, Tara. We are looking at the rescue of a German Shepherd,
about 8-10 years (nobody knows exactly). We live in an apartment, and can't
be taking the dog out constantly. 3 or 4 walks is all we can muster. All
depends on her bladder, I guess. But I can't test that ahead of time.
~Q

Older dogs need more potty breaks than prime-of-life dogs. As Tara says,
senior dogs may need middle-of-the-night outings.

If more than 4 walks a day is a make-or-break issue, I think maybe a dog is
not be the best pet for the situation. I would regard 4 as not really enough.
I think that before-breakfast, after-breakfast, before-dinner, after-dinner,
and just-before-bed are really the least you can get by with, for a healthy
prime-of-life dog. And an average senior will need more outings.

These need not all be major excursions, but a dog needs a chance to pee.

Old December 1st 04, 10:13 PM

"Tee" wrote in message
"Q" wrote in message
m...

That's interesting, Tara. We are looking at the rescue of a German
Shepherd,
about 8-10 years (nobody knows exactly). We live in an apartment, and
can't
be taking the dog out constantly. 3 or 4 walks is all we can muster. All
depends on her bladder, I guess. But I can't test that ahead of time.

Is the GSD in a rescue or shelter?

--
Tara

I am told: right now she is very unhappy, barely wants to eat, and is in a
small cage. She was just abandoned and rescued. She does wait and pee on a
leash, so maybe she is house trained.
Still, 3 or 4 pee breaks is all we could muster for her. So maybe I can't
help out, especially if age is a factor here for "frequency of peeing"?
(What's the difference between a rescue and a shelter for animals?)
:-(
~Q