OT- telemarketing

Old April 17th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default OT- telemarketing

Once again, I'm coming to you folks because y'all know everything.

A year ago I bought a Wilson Quarterly magazine in a bookstore. I
thought I'd like to subscribe. I filled out the card that came in the
magazine. Instead of subscribing as "Julia," I gave my first name as
"Wilson." That's so I can trace how my name gets sold from one mailing
list to another. I can see what sort of junk mail starts coming for
"Wilson Altshuler." (Many years ago Ms. Magazine sold my name to
Victoria Secret. I've always gotten a kick out of that.)

It asked for my credit card number, but I knew that's a bad way to pay
for magazines because it's too easy for them to make a "mistake" and
decide you wanted to renew and charge your number again. That leaves me
with the bureaucratic hassle of telling the card company that it's an
unauthorized charge.

They asked for my phone number, but I didn't want them calling me at
home for any reason so I declined to give it. I paid by check. The
check cleared, and I started getting the magazine. No problem.

A few months went by, and I started getting renewal notices in the mail.
I chose to ignore them. That's partly because I like to subscribe to
one magazine for a while, then switch to something else. That's also
because I like to wait until the subscription is over before signing up
for another year. If you renew too soon, they often short you on magazines.

Yesterday a telemarketer phoned the house and asked for Wilson. Jim got
the call. The telemarketer wanted to know if I wanted to renew.

How the hell did he get my number?
It goes without saying that I'd never give money again to any business
that would harass me at home.
But how did he get the number?
He didn't even have my correct name.
There must have been some way for him to look up my address and get the
landline number from that.
Which database?
Is that even legal?
I know that telemarketing calls are supposed to be legal if the target
and the company have done business before, but this wasn't a collection
call.
We've talked about privacy before and unfounded fears of stalking. I'm
not afraid of stalking from madmen on the net, but I deeply detest
stalking from businesses that want bother me at home.
How do I remove my number from the database if I can figure out which
one it is?
Better yet, how can I determine which businesses would do such a thing
BEFORE I give them money the first time?

--Lia

Old April 17th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:29:28 -0400, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

How the hell did he get my number?

Probably from a reverse lookup directory.

They had your address, and matched it to a phone number.

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Something you don't see very often. No, it wasn't photoshopped.
http://picasaweb.google.com/handsome...on/GoCardinals

Barack Obama: A Living Lie.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...iving_lie.html

Another really good video regarding how to adjust your mirrors *correctly*:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eqgl...eature=related

Canadian Human Rights Commission official: "Freedom of speech is an American concept, so I don't give it any value."
http://www.classicalvalues.com/archi..._happen_3.html

Well, that didn't take long. Los Angeles considers "global warming" tax.
http://www.desertdispatch.com/opinio...rming_tax.html

A book that every American should read (and NYT #1 bestseller): Liberal Fascism, by Jonah Goldberg
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascis.../dp/0385511841
Old April 17th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
There must have been some way for him to look up my address and get the
landline number from that.

Li-barians would tell you that directories to look up phone
numbers from addresses have been around for decades, or they
would if you asked one. But now there are these newfangled
things called "computers" that have these even newer things
called "databases" that can do the lookups in a fraction of
a second without the operator/telemarketer even having to
initiate it.

It's legal. You can do the same lookups online, yourself.

How do I remove my number from the database if I can figure out which
one it is?

You can't, really. When you purchase a service or product
you're agreeing to let them contact you. You could try
asking them to put you on a do-not-call list but I'm not
sure that they're obliged to if you're a customer.

Privacy is pretty much dead. They (for whatever value of
"they") can do amazing things with automated sensors that
you'd never expect. American passports now have an RFID
chip in them, and while the data are relatively strongly
encrypted someone walking around in a public place with a
scanner could still tell that you're carrying an American
passport and therefore are American. I was at a conference
a few months ago in which there were a number of papers on
sensor networks and privacy, including one on what "they"
can figure out from monitoring changes in a room's
temperature even if they have no other way of finding out
what's going on in there.

I'm still not sure why you don't bother to look this stuff
up for yourself.

Old April 17th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison

On 17 Apr 2008 10:39:42 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

[...]
I'm still not sure why you don't bother to look this stuff
up for yourself.

What a truly loathsome person you are.

spit

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Something you won't see very often. No, it wasn't photoshopped.
http://picasaweb.google.com/handsome...on/GoCardinals

Jimmy Carter has no shame. spit
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBu...20080415b.html
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/1...arafats-grave/

Moment of Truth in Iraq: How a New 'Greatest Generation' of American Soldiers is Turning Defeat and Disaster
into Victory and Hope, by Michael Yon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pro...283155&s=books

Obama Unveils Jobs Plan for Bitter Rural People. Heh.
http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2940

Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin'
Chicken-Chokin' Cousin-Pokin' Inbred Hillbilly Racist Morons. spit
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/259984.php

Obama's perfect storm of phoniness, arrogance, elitism, & condescension:
http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=11801
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2008/04...iebreaker.html
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...podhoretz/3325
http://michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-cont...08/04/snob.jpg

Obama: Trade with Cuba - Good...Trade with Colombia - Bad.
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...rade-with.html

Old April 17th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2008041711034250878-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
They are not obliged to comply with your request, unless of course,
they are smart.

Companies tend not to act against their own economic
interests. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't come
out ahead. One of the benefits (to them) of this technology
is that the marginal costs of each individual call are
negligible and they can get a very, very low response rate
and still come out ahead. Eventually they'll be better at
identifying consumers who are likely to respond, but
consider just how much of what kind of data they'll need to
achieve that.

Old April 17th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

montana wildhack wrote:
They are not obliged to comply with your request, unless of course,
they are smart.

BTW, not to be obvious but it's an election season. If all
this bothers you, Call up candidates and bug them about data
privacy. Personally, I think medical data and personal
financial data are a bigger deal, but it's all sort of a
problem.

Old April 17th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

Julia Altshuler wrote:

How the hell did he get my number?

Looking up your name and state in an online directory. Go he
http://anywho.com and type in your name and state, and if your
land-line phone number is listed, it should find you. It doesn't
even need your address.

How do I remove my number from the database if I can figure out which
one it is?

Get a (new) unlisted land-line phone number.

Better yet, how can I determine which businesses would do such a thing
BEFORE I give them money the first time?

Ask them?

The aspect of telemarketing that bugs me is that while I have
placed my name on the national do-not-call list, it only applies
to companies that WANT to do business with me, with whom I have
no prior business relationship. If I already have a business
relationship with them (like your magazine subscription), they
are free to call me for 18 months after my last transaction with
them.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/journals/njtip/v3/n1/2/

And then not-for-profit organizations (including political
organizations) are exempt from the law - as we are all painfully
aware in this silly season.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.

Old April 17th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

wrote:

How the hell did he get my number?

Probably from a reverse lookup directory.

They had your address, and matched it to a phone number.

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Exactly. When I worked in the library years ago, I was surprised that they
kept these directories for years and years. I could look up addresses or
people from years before and see where they lived, what their phone number
was, etc. Long before the time of computers.

My husband always uses his work phone number when one is required. You
might want to try something like that.

Once they had your check and address to send the magazine to, voila.

td