Dos hiding in enclosed spaces

Old March 15th 04, 09:04 AM
Peter

Default Dos hiding in enclosed spaces

Hi everyone, my terrier recently exhibits this strange behaviour.

At first when the problem started she would sleep on the door mat when we
are all asleep and would not sleep in her bed.
Now even more strange is that when everyone is awake she would open the
sliding door to my closet and hide inside. Its come to a point where we had
to close all bedroom doors during the day.

She would only sleep in her bed while we are all in the lounge, but as soon
as everyone is in bed she would get out and sleep somewhere close to us.
We had her for almost 9 years already, she had exhibited this behavious
before but it went away shortly but not this time. Seems she wanted to hide
in enclosed spaces...

Does anyone have suggestions? She seems healthy and has a great appetite.
Thanx!!

Old March 15th 04, 07:29 PM
Pat

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

I have never owned a Terrier.
It sounds like being secure is important here.
Maybe feels safe when alone if she is enclosed.
Like an agoraphobic in people why should it be different in dog.?
Dogs suffer most thing that people do.
Could you not allow her a space in your bedroom.
Her age may make her feel insecure to.
Pat.

Old March 18th 04, 01:34 AM
Richard Aubin

My terrier who's 12 years old always sleeps in our room, when we're
sleeping, or she'll sleep on the living room couch if we're in the main room
of the apartment, or if I'm working on my website.

She'll often sleep at my feet under the desk.

I strongly believe this behaviour is a security issue as someone else
stated. I really don't know as I don't know where she sleeps when were not
around.

--
Richard Aubin
================================

Old March 18th 04, 06:42 PM
Jake

hi,

this behavior is because dogs normally want to "den". i have a GSD that
squirms herself under the coffee table. dogs enjoy that closed in feeling,
it gives them security.

Old March 20th 04, 12:15 AM
Peter

I do agree with you on this point, but this behaviour just started to happen
recently.
We've had her for almost nine years now and shes been sleeping by herself in
the lounge for the past years...

news:[email protected]

Old March 20th 04, 12:47 AM
Richard Aubin