When to measure Thyroxine level after taking drug

Old May 2nd 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Polly Filler

Default When to measure Thyroxine level after taking drug

I have a approximately 10 year old male cocker spaniel who is taking
Thyroxine for a thyroid problem. The vet said he would measure the
thyroxine level 3 hours after the drug was taken. Is this the correct
time to do this? I have read on various internet resources that it
should be 4-6 hours.

The drug has been measured several times. The results a

Canine total thyroxine(t4)
9.99 nmol/litre
14.4 nmol/litre
24.1 nmol/litre.

What is the normal range for this?
Old May 9th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"Polly Filler" wrote in message
I have a approximately 10 year old male cocker spaniel who is taking
Thyroxine for a thyroid problem. The vet said he would measure the
thyroxine level 3 hours after the drug was taken. Is this the correct
time to do this? I have read on various internet resources that it
should be 4-6 hours.

Protocols may be different with different labs.

If they always measure 3 hours post pill then I'd imagine the results they
expect (and reference ranges) are going to be based on 3 hours post pill.
Anyone out there know the kinetics of thyroxine in a dog? (absorption rate
and half life specifically). These two numbers will tell you how sensitive
the timing of the test is. I've googled around a bit, but I'm finding
conflicting results.

Dale

Old May 14th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dave[_7_]

Dale Atkin wrote:
"Polly Filler" wrote in message
I have a approximately 10 year old male cocker spaniel who is taking
Thyroxine for a thyroid problem. The vet said he would measure the
thyroxine level 3 hours after the drug was taken. Is this the correct
time to do this? I have read on various internet resources that it
should be 4-6 hours.

Protocols may be different with different labs.

If they always measure 3 hours post pill then I'd imagine the results
they expect (and reference ranges) are going to be based on 3 hours post
pill.
Anyone out there know the kinetics of thyroxine in a dog? (absorption
rate and half life specifically). These two numbers will tell you how
sensitive the timing of the test is. I've googled around a bit, but I'm
finding conflicting results.

Dale

Thank you for that. (I'm thanking you on behalf of my father, who posted
the original request).

My father was under the impression the vet attempts to measure the peak
value. From what I can gather the half-life is about 7 hours, but I've
no idea how rapidly it is absorbed once taken.