Smart Dog

Old May 7th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

Default Smart Dog

We had a screened porch built off our dining area. It was finished
yesterday. I was/am concerned about keeping the screening material *intact*
with the dogs, so I was supervising them.

So yesterday, after the workers left, I let the dogs out to see how they'd
react to the new room. The room size is 15 by 15 ft. with doors on each
side to exit onto the remaining patio space. The room is sort of centered
on the patio which is 15 by 40 ft.

All this description to set the scene. Both Merlin and Gracie sniffed the
perimeter of the room numerous times. Poking their noses at the screenning,
checking it out. Looking for an opening to get to the yard. Merlin
eventually decided there was no way out of this enclosure. But Gracie,
after doing the perimeter scan a couple times, then went straight to one of
the doors, jumped up on it, and found she could easily push it open. I was
impressed at her discovery, since they hadn't *seen* these were doors yet.

td

Old May 7th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
[...]

Geez Tiny, use your head
She probably read the plans.

What a clever girl!
Karla

Old May 7th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"filly" wrote in message

"tiny dancer" wrote in message

[ ]

But
Gracie, after doing the perimeter scan a couple times, then went straight
to one of the doors, jumped up on it, and found she could easily push it
open. I was impressed at her discovery, since they hadn't *seen* these
were doors yet.

td

Geez Tiny, use your head
She probably read the plans.

slaps forehead! Of course you must be right! ;-)

Now had she been Tuck, I'd have expected that. I bet nothing goes on
that he hasn't surveyed and conquered. He's such a smart boy. When one of
mine do something *smart* I always think of Tuck.

td

What a clever girl!
Karla

Old May 7th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison

On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:00:49 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

We had a screened porch built off our dining area. It was finished
yesterday. I was/am concerned about keeping the screening material *intact*
with the dogs, so I was supervising them.

Do your screens go from floor to ceiling?

If so, you can almost bet that one of your dogs is eventually going to
bust through the screening (which might not be that big of a problem
if your yard is fenced). Especially if they have any prey drive.

My sister (in Florida) has such screening over the pool and deck, and
had to have ornamental powder-coated aluminum panels installed around
the lower 3' of the screening. The panels screw into the screen
bracing on the outside. It's very attractive. She's a cat person, and
the cats go bonkers when they see a raccoon, cat, dog, etc. wander by.
Sometimes they attack the screening, trying to get at the animals.

If it weren't for those panels, they'd eventually succeed.

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Reality-based community comes out in support of religious extremism, provided it's the extremism
of the religious Left.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10126.html

The top ten list of things envirinomentalists need to learn (pay attention, Bozoman!).
http://depletedcranium.com/?p=368

El quinto bimbo habla!
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/05/0...ic-convention/

The evidence for neocommunism.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/...communism.html

Interested in the topic of "global warming"? Don't miss this one (it's a 14 page PDF file).
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/DonE...Transcript.pdf

Your congress helps maintain high gas prices.
http://instapundit.com/archives2/018595.php

Pansy-gate: Sad State of Gay America
http://www.gaypatriot.net/2008/04/30...f-gay-america/

"Motivated by fear and multiculturalism, too many Westerners are acquiescing to creeping sharia."
http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_...jihadists.html

The nanny state, explained.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/2...ate-explained/

The total witlessness of Obama apologists.
http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archive...ma-apologists/

Moment of Truth in Iraq: How a New 'Greatest Generation' of American Soldiers is Turning Defeat and Disaster
into Victory and Hope, by Michael Yon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pro...283155&s=books
http://www2.nysun.com/article/75405

A book that *every* American should read (and NYT #1 bestseller): Liberal Fascism, by Jonah Goldberg.
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascis.../dp/0385511841
Old May 7th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

wrote:

We had a screened porch built off our dining area. It was finished
yesterday. I was/am concerned about keeping the screening material
*intact*
with the dogs, so I was supervising them.

Do your screens go from floor to ceiling?

Well, they do go from floor to ceiling, but the bottom part is constructed
much like a deck or porch rail. It looks like that part is about 3 ft.
high, although I haven't measured it. It appears to be the same height as
our porch railing was at the old house. We did keep the dogs in mind when
designing it. It looks like the bottom part, the railing, is constructed of
2 by 2's, approximately four inches apart. We had the guys use screws
instead of nails in all the wood pieces that cover the screening material,
just in case we have to replace any of the actual screening. We are
probably going to get a couple of those door guards, but I don't think we
really even need those because the bottoms of the doors also have extra wood
on them.

The dogs have been very good so far, not jumping up on the railing. On the
inside it doesn't matter much because the screening material is on the
outside of the room. So there is a four inch railing all round, as I said,
about three feet off the floor. The doors are spring loaded and have hooks
up top.

If so, you can almost bet that one of your dogs is eventually going to
bust through the screening (which might not be that big of a problem
if your yard is fenced). Especially if they have any prey drive.

They have prey drive, although I haven't really seen much of anything in our
back yard, yet. Dh has begun putting his vegetable garden in though, so I'm
wondering what that might attract as far as wildlife. Not sure if deer
would be able to scan the wood fence? It's one of those six feet tall
stockade/privacy type fences.

My sister (in Florida) has such screening over the pool and deck, and
had to have ornamental powder-coated aluminum panels installed around
the lower 3' of the screening. The panels screw into the screen
bracing on the outside. It's very attractive. She's a cat person, and
the cats go bonkers when they see a raccoon, cat, dog, etc. wander by.
Sometimes they attack the screening, trying to get at the animals.

If it weren't for those panels, they'd eventually succeed.

If we do get any tears in the screening, we'll replace it with that 'pet
screen' material. Have you seen that, Jack? It really is pretty
indestructable with the dogs anyway, as far as their claws are concerned.
One of our daughters replaced the screen in her screen door with the pet
screen and it's worked really well for her.

td

Old May 7th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

t...

wrote:

[...]

Your screened porch sounds really nice Tiny. A good way to enjoy the
evenings and mornings without the bugs.

We don't have near the bugs in the Pacific Northwest that you do in the
South, but I think we have something you don't have.

SLUGS!

I could send you a few to get your started. They do love gardens.
Karla

Old May 7th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison

On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:36:52 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

[...]
Do your screens go from floor to ceiling?

Well, they do go from floor to ceiling, but the bottom part is constructed
much like a deck or porch rail. It looks like that part is about 3 ft.
high, although I haven't measured it. It appears to be the same height as
our porch railing was at the old house. We did keep the dogs in mind when
designing it. It looks like the bottom part, the railing, is constructed of
2 by 2's, approximately four inches apart.

Then you should be fine.

Here's a picture of what I was talking about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2390564...30448/sizes/o/

My sister (in Florida) has such screening over the pool and deck, and
had to have ornamental powder-coated aluminum panels installed around
the lower 3' of the screening. The panels screw into the screen
bracing on the outside. It's very attractive. She's a cat person, and
the cats go bonkers when they see a raccoon, cat, dog, etc. wander by.
Sometimes they attack the screening, trying to get at the animals.

If it weren't for those panels, they'd eventually succeed.

If we do get any tears in the screening, we'll replace it with that 'pet
screen' material. Have you seen that, Jack?

The kind with the grommets around the edge?

If so, yes.

Old May 7th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"filly" wrote in message

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
t...

snipped

Your screened porch sounds really nice Tiny. A good way to enjoy the
evenings and mornings without the bugs.

Thank you, I love it already! I've always wanted one, but our other house,
the lot was so wooded, had we put a screen porch, or screened room, in the
logical spot for one, it would have cut so much natural light from either
our family room or our dining room.

We don't have near the bugs in the Pacific Northwest that you do in the
South, but I think we have something you don't have.

SLUGS!

Oh god have we got slugs! Have you ever watched one inch it's way up a
patio door? You know, where you can really see the underside of 'em as they
move along? UGH!

I admit to having resorted to salt once or twice. One night when my husband
was out of town I had one that kept crawling in my kitchen door. A BIG one.
I umphed it out the door a couple times, but it just kept somehow crawling
back in. I finally resorted to salting it.

I'd say about the worst thing we have that I've seen are brown recluse
spiders. Well, actually they are the insects I'm most frightened by. The
ugliest most 'all alone at night time scary' are camel-back crickets. They
can jump probably eight feet or more, ugly has hell. They look like fat,
hairy spiders.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/crickets.html

td

Old May 7th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"Handsome "Jack" Morrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:36:52 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

[...]

Here's a picture of what I was talking about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2390564...30448/sizes/o/

That is very nice looking, Jack. I'll have to keep that in mind should we
want to get a screen door for our front entrance.

My sister (in Florida) has such screening over the pool and deck, and
had to have ornamental powder-coated aluminum panels installed around
the lower 3' of the screening. The panels screw into the screen
bracing on the outside. It's very attractive. She's a cat person, and
the cats go bonkers when they see a raccoon, cat, dog, etc. wander by.
Sometimes they attack the screening, trying to get at the animals.

If it weren't for those panels, they'd eventually succeed.

I've seen those ground to ceiling screens around pools and such in Florida.
Often wondered about alligators? Seems like if a gator found your pool
enticing, that screen wasn't gonna do much for ya. I suppose if one
actually lives in Florida, it's the bugs they are concerned with. Me? I'd
be more worried about gators.

If we do get any tears in the screening, we'll replace it with that 'pet
screen' material. Have you seen that, Jack?

The kind with the grommets around the edge?

I don't think so. It's a special screening material that resists kids or
pets clawing holes in the screen fabric.

http://www.petscreenkit.com/

I think this is it. It's a bit hard to find sometimes, but I think she got
hers from Lowes or Home Depot.

td

Old May 7th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison

On Wed, 7 May 2008 17:35:07 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

Here's a picture of what I was talking about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2390564...30448/sizes/o/

That is very nice looking, Jack. I'll have to keep that in mind should we
want to get a screen door for our front entrance.

Yeah, it works great, and it's attractive, too.

And ever since my sister put it on, no problemos.

And no 'gators, either.

If it weren't for those panels, they'd eventually succeed.

I've seen those ground to ceiling screens around pools and such in Florida.
Often wondered about alligators? Seems like if a gator found your pool
enticing, that screen wasn't gonna do much for ya. I suppose if one
actually lives in Florida, it's the bugs they are concerned with. Me? I'd
be more worried about gators.

That's what they make Mossberg 12 gauge shotguns for, eh?

And it works just as well on 2-legged critters as it does on the
4-legged kind.

If we do get any tears in the screening, we'll replace it with that 'pet
screen' material. Have you seen that, Jack?

The kind with the grommets around the edge?

I don't think so. It's a special screening material that resists kids or
pets clawing holes in the screen fabric.

http://www.petscreenkit.com/

I don't know. That screen might be tougher for a dog to put his claws
through, but a big enough dog should be able to pull the screen right
out of its groove, I would think.

I think this is it. It's a bit hard to find sometimes, but I think she got
hers from Lowes or Home Depot.

I was talking about this stuff:
http://www.protarps.com/

Never used it, though.