Playtime Report

Old May 11th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Default Playtime Report

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I have new neighbors.
They've got a 10 week old Boxer puppy. OMG! The cute! It's
painful.

I met her a couple of times last week, and she's very sweet. This
morning, Harriet got to meet her. They were both on leash, but it
went well.

I'm impressed at Harriet's puppy sense, since she's had very little
experience with them. Most of the puppies she's met have been
literally and figuratively bowled over by The Boxerness. Boxer
puppies, while small, at least speak the same language. So, we had a
little play bowing, a little barking (Kayla is, um, vocal), a little
feigning indifference then pouncing (Harriet's favoritest play
tactic), and some minor smack-down-putting when Kayla got overly
obnoxious with the puppiness. (Apparently standing and
barkbarkbarking in Harriet's face irritates her a bit. Who knew?!)

Then, this evening, they had Kayla out back again, so I took Harriet
out on her leash. After I was sure that they were still cool with
each other, I let Harriet off-leash. Harriet had a really good run,
and then she and Kayla played a bit more. Kayla is still awfully
small, so she can't keep up with the running games, and she's not big
enough for proper wrestling. As she gets older, I'm sure she'll be
more fun for Harriet. (As well, the potential for snark will
increase, so I'm going to be watching them carefully.)

Anyway, it looks like we might be reaping some of the benefits of
having a (Boxer!) puppy without any of the work. We win!

--
Shelly
Old May 11th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Shelly" wrote in message
[...]

==========
Get some pics of them together.
Devon has a handsome Boxer friend that she plays with also, and I notice
that her Boxer friend does that feigning disinterest thing also. He takes a
stance while turning his head slightly away, and then he turns his head
back, bows and pounces. It must be a Boxer trait. It is very funny to
watch. I really like that dog and he is a great match for Devon.

Old May 11th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

Anyway, it looks like we might be reaping some of the benefits of
having a (Boxer!) puppy without any of the work. We win!

Welcome to my world. I have a whole bunch of puppies at my disposal on
a regular basis! Have a blast!

--
Janet Boss
Old May 11th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"pfoley" wrote in
m:

Get some pics of them together.

I intend to, but for now, I really don't feel comfortable letting my
attention wander. Not out of concern for Harriet or the puppy
wandering off or getting into a scuffle, but of other folks thinking
it'd be a fun idea to bring their dogs out to play, too. Three would
definitely be a crowd.

He takes a stance while turning his head slightly away, and
then he turns his head back, bows and pounces. It must be a Boxer
trait.

I don't know if it's common to Boxers or not. It's funny, though,
and it's something that other dogs seem to quickly catch onto, even
if they don't know the game at first. And when they do catch on,
they seem to enjoy it.

It is very funny to watch. I really like that dog and he
is a great match for Devon.

Neat! It's extra fun to watch them play when they're well matched.

Rotties are on my short list. If the right one came along at the
right time (post Harriet!), and she was small enough, I'd seriously
consider it. It would wreck my Boxer plus Sibe plan, but that's
looking like a longer term plan than I'd originally intended, anyway,
since I'm (mostly) enjoying living in high-density housing. The
down-side is that I don't have a fenced yard, so it's not Husky-
friendly.

--
Shelly
Old May 11th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Terri wrote in
:

Oh.My.Yes.

Did I mention that Miss Kayla, in an attempt to appeal to Harriet,
who was pointedly ignoring the little upstart, went belly down in the
grass and started "swimming" toward Harriet? And when she got to
her, Kayla buried her chin in the grass and whined pathetically? It
was crazy cute.

What's her coloring?

She's plain stag red. The absolute most beautiful possible color for
a Boxer. She's got a little bit of white on a couple of toes and a
waffer theeen white blaze on her forehead. Basically, she's the
anti-Harriet, in terms of coat color.

Ms. Brown is teaching her manners!

Exactly, and you could have knocked me over with a feather!

You do win! When she gets older she's gonna wear out Ms.Brown's
butt, Carmine says.

No doubt. This was Harriet afterward:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2483016123/

Which reminds me, remember the neighbor's adorable Boxer I
puppysat, Penny? We just heard that she's dying. Her kidneys are
failing and she's only a year old. I've bonded to her pretty well
so it's awfully painful to hear, even if she's not mine.

I'm so sorry! That's absolutely heartbreaking. Do they know the
cause? Of all the things that can go horribly wrong with a Boxer, I
would not have expected kidney failure, and especially not in such a
young one. Poor Penny!

--
Shelly
Old May 11th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Janet Boss wrote in
:

Welcome to my world. I have a whole bunch of puppies at my
disposal on a regular basis! Have a blast!

Thanks! I intend to get the most from the situation.

--
Shelly
Old May 11th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Ms. Brown is teaching her manners!

Exactly, and you could have knocked me over with a feather!

It's gotta be a double X genetic thing.

Good Ol' Murphy was also wonderful at teaching puppy manners.
http://rocky-dog.com/Rocky1/RockyFirstWeekHome.html

Old May 11th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Shelly" wrote in message
"pfoley" wrote in
m:

[...]

==============
The average female Rotties are usually smaller than the males. Devon only
weighs around 87 lbs and my other female Rottie, Suzie, weighed 90 lbs.
But, I have even seen them smaller than those weights on the Rottie Rescue
sites. The males are handsome, but some of them are huge, and I don't mean
fat.

Old May 11th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

"Terri" wrote in message
(snip)
Which reminds me, remember the neighbor's adorable Boxer I puppysat,
Penny? We just heard that she's dying. Her kidneys are failing and she's
only a year old. I've bonded to her pretty well so it's awfully
painful to hear, even if she's not mine.

That is so sad. All the promise, all the growing up and fun and love and
getting old will not happen. It's so hard to bear, I'm sorry.
Karla

Old May 13th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Terri wrote:

What a little scamp. This is precisely why they get to live. Who in
their right mind could resist such pathetic attempts at ingratiation?

Harriet. But whether or not she's ever been in her right mind is
debatable. I, on the other hand, was absolutely charmed by Miss
Kayla's winsome ways.

Very pretty. I'm still partial to the brindles though.

I am too, normally, but stag red is just *so* darned pretty.

I swear, I've been listening for years now
about Boxer Boings but the stories pale in comparison to
the actual visual experience. Pure comedy gold!

Now you know what I mean when I say that they're a force of nature!

It is. She's horribly thin and now, when she plays with her *family
St. Bernards, she's so incredibly tired it's pitiful.
Her owners are heartbroken.

I can only imagine. Heck, it just about breaks *my* heart and I've
never met Penny.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this happy thread to sad Penny
news it's just that the Kayla story reminded me of Penny at that age.

Hijack away! I don't mind sharing at all.

I'm sincerely looking forward to many more stories and pictures of
Kayla and Ms. Brown.

We'll have to wait and see. Harriet was less than thrilled with
Kayla on their second outing together. She gave the puppy a full-on
display of snarkitude. Not with any intent to harm, as it was all
noise and posturing. The third outing was quieter, but there was
still some minor grumbling. I think Harriet's decided that the
puppy was fun *once*, and now she's an interloper.

I'm going to suggest walking them together, as Harriet is Just Fine
with walking with other dogs. I think playing is out, though, at
least until the puppy learns not to lunge and bark at Harriet, and
not to invade her space in such an impertinent manner. Babies just
have no sense, and Harriet is only patient up to a point.

--
Shelly

Playtime Lynne Dog behavior 8 July 18th 07 12:48 AM
[OT] - Trip Report (Very Brief) Marcel Beaudoin Dog behavior 6 December 13th 05 06:02 PM
trip report Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 0 November 24th 03 02:41 PM
Vet report... John Dog health 4 October 12th 03 05:54 AM
Vet report... John Dog health 0 October 10th 03 08:30 PM