OFA who should pay?

Old May 11th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default OFA who should pay?

Hope you can help me with this. I promised the breeder of my dog that
when he reached two years of age I would get his hips and elbows x-
rayed and the films read and rated by the experts at OFA. I just
found out that this would cost me roughly $700! Ouch! Since the
information provided by OFA primarily benefits the breeder I was
thinking that the breeder should pay for this, NOT me. What is your
experience with this? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Old May 11th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

spoke these words of wisdom in news:000d50a3-9160-43b0-
:

Hope you can help me with this. I promised the breeder of my dog that
when he reached two years of age I would get his hips and elbows x-
rayed and the films read and rated by the experts at OFA. I just
found out that this would cost me roughly $700! Ouch! Since the
information provided by OFA primarily benefits the breeder I was
thinking that the breeder should pay for this, NOT me. What is your
experience with this? Thanks for any information you can provide.

OFA is a part of the purchase agreement and purchase cost that you agreed
to when you purchased the dog. I think the vet's quote for OFA workup
price was excessive.

In January, I had my boys Hips, thyroid, cardio, patellas, elbows and
kidneys done for OFA and evaluated. It cost me $436.

The workup was in my best interest, because it gave me a preview on what i
could do with my boy for the rest of his life. It gave me a BASELINE for
future reference, should anything go wrong.
When I ask him to jump, or do agility, it tells me He's sound, and probably
I'm not going to damage him due to bone insufficiencies. If he has
structural faults, I take those into perspective also. What does he need
to do, and is his short forearm going to be a detriment in this activity.

He's moderately angulated. Is this advantageous for this activity, or not?
Then I look at his physical structure, and understand that combined with
the information and evaluation of OFA, i now have an educated projection on
what he can do and expect him to hold up. So although his breeder NEEDS
this information, I use it also.

It's simply a part of the purchase price of the pup. She could have charged
you projected ofa costs pre-purchase, and paid for them now, or she could
do what she and you agreed upon. You bought the puppy then, and now are
completeing the purchase transaction at 2 as a delayed payment option.

You will benefit from this information, because you will also know what the
siblings are doing, and should there ever be a problem, you have familial
history to fall back on.

It's a win/win situation, and I'm really proud of you for selecting a
really good breeder who cares.

Old May 11th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

I'm having my puppy spayed at the
same time, for example.

DUH! Why didn't I think of this? Thanks Matt, I think we'll be
planning on that (even thought it is quite a way off!).

--
Janet Boss