What do you tell yourself?

Old May 12th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
T. Thompson

Default What do you tell yourself?

I'm one of the silent lurkers how pick up great advice from the regulars.
Through various training classes, books, website, and you I've picked up a
few major rules:

1. Accept that your dog is a dog (not a human).
2. Consitency is key.
3. Work with what they know.
4. Catch them the moment they disobey, or doesn't count.

But tell me, what do you tell yourself when you are visiting someone whose
behaviour regarding their dog doesn't seem to follow these basic idea?

I had dinner at someone's house where they expect the dog to stay in one
spot in a chair for over an hour on the outside deck. I don't think that
the dog has been even trained to hold a stay for longer than 10 minutes.
Consequently every time the dog came out of the stay the guy would leave the
dinner table go out to the deck and consequently lecture the dog. During
this the dog is cowering away from the guy.

I feel a bit because I don't feel I can actually do anything. I have my own
dog which is currently doing well (agility class once per week) and adding a
second dog would not be fair to each either dog (my husband and I have odd
work schedules). What do you guys do or tell yourself when this happens? I
ended up leaving early because "if I can't say anything nice, don't say
anything at all" and it was getting difficult to not say anything at all.

Any advice is welcome!

T. Stewart

P.S. My dog, Bacchus (English Pointer), is growing up great, but it is very
to work on agility training with a bird dog when some pigeons have gotten
into the barn!

Old May 12th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On May 11, 10:10 pm, "T. Thompson" wrote:
[...]

Wow, that is a tough one!
I would generally agree with the rest of the responders, unless there
literally is something going on that is abusive, or will harm someone,
there really is not much you can do.

There may be a tactful way of broaching the subject with them...Maybe
while this is happening ask them if the dog has ever been through
training..If it is a yes, then ask them how long the dog was taught to
stay for...this is where you can give your knowledge about training...

If it is a no, this is an opportunity for you to help out...again with
your knowledge about training.

An hour is an awful long time for the dog to stay in one small
spot...Does the dog beg, is this why the owner is insisting on this?
If so, they need to deal with the begging, not the stay.

If the dog doesn't beg, then I guess I don't understand what their
problem is, why they want the dog to stay in this position for so
long...

Hope I helped!

MissLilyBug
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-training-tips-for-you