weight ratio

Old May 19th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

Default weight ratio

Reading the Buster thread brought to mind the following:

Last week at playday, this woman who I had never met (and *professed* to
know alot about agility, flyball, showing and of course horse racing)
proceeded to tell me that Atty was fat and should lose 10 lbs. Hmmm that
would make her a 52# labrador retriever.... She said based on her height,
there is a formula that you can use to get the ideal weight. Yes, Atty's a
petite little girl, but she'd have to shrink 2 inches to make a difference
in jump height in flyball. She also said that if she lost those 10 pounds,
she'd be shorter and we might be able to use lower jumps for her.
??????????????????????????????

Now, the question. She told me the name to google, but darned if I can
remember. Partially because I was a little bewildered and partially because
I never thought I'd look for the formula online....... But my curiosity has
gotten the best of me. Have any of you ever heard of such a formula?

Sue and (supposedly flabby) Atty

Old May 19th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
[...]

Everything I found on www.dogpile.com was breed-specific. This seems to be
a good overall chart:

http://www.dogsindepth.com/dog_breed_size_chart.html

You might try this weight slider that shows how your dog looks compared to
ideal and degrees of overweight:

http://slentrol.com/display.asp?coun...s=CN& sec=130

Paul and Heavy Muttley

Old May 19th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Sue and Atty wrote:

Reading the Buster thread brought to mind the following:

Last week at playday, this woman who I had never met (and *professed* to
know alot about agility, flyball, showing and of course horse racing)
proceeded to tell me that Atty was fat and should lose 10 lbs. Hmmm that
would make her a 52# labrador retriever.... She said based on her height,
there is a formula that you can use to get the ideal weight. Yes, Atty's a
petite little girl, but she'd have to shrink 2 inches to make a difference
in jump height in flyball. She also said that if she lost those 10 pounds,
she'd be shorter and we might be able to use lower jumps for her.

Only if you lost those ten pounds by chopping her paws off.

??????????????????????????????

Now, the question. She told me the name to google, but darned if I can
remember. Partially because I was a little bewildered and partially because
I never thought I'd look for the formula online....... But my curiosity has
gotten the best of me. Have any of you ever heard of such a formula?

No. And any formula that relied exclusively on height to calculate
ideal weight without taking into account breed and build is flat out
bullshit. Should a JRT weigh the same as a corgi? Should a rottweiler
weigh the same as a greyhound?

If you're serious about lowering Atty's jump height (and *I* would be
because I think 14" is really, really hard on big dogs), run her in
U-FLI tournaments. U-FLI's max jump height is 12 inches, compared to
the NAFA max of 14". And the U-FLI method of calculating jump height by
measuring the dog's foreleg gives a better approximation of a dog's
actual jumping capacity when compared to the NAFA procedure of measuring
at the withers and subtracting 4", especially in the case of
achondroplastic breeds like corgis, dachshunds and bassets.

Or, you could get your team a height dog, either by recruiting a new
member with a short dog, or, as I did, by acquiring, raising and
training a short dog myself.

Talk about a labor of love... My BCs were competition-ready in 6 months
and 4 months respectively. I started working with Cooper as soon as I
got him at 12 weeks. No jumping, no box work, just runbacks and
recalls, proofing him with dogs running in the opposite lanes.

When the vet gave me the okay on his growth plates we started training
in earnest, shaping that swimmer's turn, burning the pattern into his
synapses. I will always be grateful for the wisdom and patience of the
trainer who advised me to hold off rushing him into competition in spite
of the continual pressure from teammates... Our club was starved for
height dogs; we NEEDED him. This was back in the pre-UFLI days, when
the NAFA maximum jump height was still a brutal 16".

We were lucky. He grew up short, fast, driven and healthy. Training
gave him a rock-solid swimmer's turn. And I will always remember the
day when the light bulb flipped on over his head.... "Oh! It's a RACE!"

And it took TWO YEARS.

Cooper's a frustrating dog to run because he only gives what he has to
in order to win. He runs anchor and if he's got a big lead on the other
team's #4 dog, he comes back over the jumps skippity-hop, lollygagging
along, turning in a 5.3, a 5.5.

But if the other team has a lead on us, it's all I can do to hang onto
him until we can pass our third dog safely. I've sent him into the lane
in heart-stoppingly tight passes, literally throwing him under the feet
of the outbound dog while the other team's anchor dog is almost at the
box, and have seen him dig deep and run down his opponent, turning a 4.6
split in the process.

I'll be the first to admit that training a JRT is not for the faint of
heart, especially not for a life-long BC owner. But he's not only given
my team a height dog worth his weight in gold, he's also brought an
amazing amount of color and adventure into my life.

Old May 19th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

You might try this weight slider that shows how your dog looks compared to
ideal and degrees of overweight:

http://slentrol.com/display.asp?coun...s=CN& sec=130

Paul and Heavy Muttley

Thanks Paul. This is a cool tool.
According to the slider, the majority of labs I see in the show ring are
overweight.

I'd like to be able to move the slider to the other end of the spectrum,
too, and see what a too thin dog looks like.

Sue and Atty

Old May 19th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

Default weight ratio (and now flyball)

"Kathleen" wrote in message

[...]

It seemed like an odd thing (the formula), hence my bewilderment, I think.

About the flyball jump height. I agree. 14" is too high for her. Yes, she
*can* do it, but I don't think she *should*. Atty turned 7 last week, so we
are able to get her on a veteran team. We also have a newbie flyball class
going, with the push on bringing in a short dog. I'm not so into the sport
that I would get myself a shorter dog just so I could play. In fact, we
were talked into the January competetion (our whole team's first), which is
when she started refusing to jump the 14" jumps. She'd jump down fine, but
run beside back. Quick trip to the vet showed some arthritis. So these
days, we play with the starting dogs who are all jumping with no more than
8" jumps. She likes those. Last week they snuck a 10" set in, and she
jumped down and ran back beside.

We were talking about U-FLI at flyball last week. Can you do both NAFA and
U-FLI? I don't know anything about it. We are having a hard time finding
any trials close to us to start with. Most of us are weekend local
warriors. No desire to travel 3 states over to run flyball. We're going to
try to go to the Cleveland area in July, but only for the 1 day, not all 3
days.

Sue and Atty

Old May 19th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Sue and Atty wrote:

We were talking about U-FLI at flyball last week. Can you do both NAFA and
U-FLI?

Sure. My club and every active dog in it is dual-registered. Another
option is to run in Open Class in NAFA or Pick-Up in U-FLI, which might
let you use a borrowed height dog without anybody running up against the
90 day rule on swapping teams.

Old May 19th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

http://slentrol.com/display.asp?coun...pecies=CN& se
c=130

Paul and Heavy Muttley

Thanks Paul. This is a cool tool.
According to the slider, the majority of labs I see in the show ring are
overweight.

I'd like to be able to move the slider to the other end of the
spectrum,
too, and see what a too thin dog looks like.

Sue and Atty

Me too. I think what they show as Ideal is too fat.
Old May 19th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Cj[_2_]

[...]

How the hell does dieting make you shorter? If the other assertions match
that one you might as well forget it.
Cj

Old May 19th 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Cj" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How the hell does dieting make you shorter?

Sometimes a quarter of an inch can make a difference when it
comes to height cutoffs. For example, IME, overweight herding
breed dogs often get a clump'o'fat at their whithers, right
where they're measured.

Old May 19th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BDK[_2_]

In article ,
says...

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

You might try this weight slider that shows how your dog looks compared to
ideal and degrees of overweight:

http://slentrol.com/display.asp?coun...s=CN& sec=130

Paul and Heavy Muttley

Thanks Paul. This is a cool tool.
According to the slider, the majority of labs I see in the show ring are
overweight.

I'd like to be able to move the slider to the other end of the spectrum,
too, and see what a too thin dog looks like.

Sue and Atty

I wish I had an above down pic of my dog, Molly, you would see what a
really skinny dog looks like. I put my dogs in a boarding kennel I had
been using for over 25 years while I had knee surgery and then was in
rehab. They were at perfect weight when they went in, and when they came
out, they both looked like Animal Cops dogs that they took because of
neglect. I called them up, and asked them what the hell was going on.
They lamely said, "Well, they are older dogs, and they got fed twice a
day". They were just about to turn nine, and in perfect health, and
acted like much younger dogs. I had a friend pick them up for me, and he
said "I thought they looked pretty skinny!" Molly looked way worse than
"skinny".

They wouldn't tell me exactly how much they were fed. My male dog looked
a little better, probably because he kept Molly from eating part of the
time. I don't know how they could supposedly been taking them out twice
a day for "playtime", and not seen how damn bad they looked! If I had
been told how scrawny they were getting, I would have had a friend bring
some burgers in to get some calories in them, they would never turn down
Burger King, ever. The way Molly ate when she came home kind of showed
me she wasn't "not eating", she just wasn't being fed enough.

In two weeks, one dog was back to normal weight, an six months later,
the other is still skinny as hell, even though she eats a LOT of food,
biscuits, and gets most of a can of organic dog food 3 times a week.
(anymore than that gives her extreme gas, The other dog gets part of it
to keep peace). I had her checked out at the Vet, and he said all her
tests came back perfect. She is one of the most nervous dogs I've ever
seen, but it's almost comical how much she eats. One bad thing has come
from being starved, King, the male is now very food oriented and will
try to keep Molly from eating if not watched. They ate out of the same
bowl when given rice for 8+ years together, but now, King stares her
down and I have to feed them from separate bowls, and keep King from
making a run at her food by holding him back. He used to almost be
uninterested in food, except BK burgers, but now, he goes nuts for
apples and broccoli, stuff he never ate until the kennel stay.

My old Beagle set the record for eating machines. He was a big field
type, almost 40 rock hard pounds, and ate staggering amounts of food
without gaining an ounce. I had a huge corn pot I used for his food
bowl, and he ate the whole damn thing, every day, plus biscuits, my food
if I didn't watch him like a hawk, and any bugs or mice he could catch,
and there were a lot of both in the yard in the warmer months.

He ate an entire Easter ham once, along with a bunch of dry dog food,
and a big bowl of mashed potatoes. We called the vet, who said to watch
him, and call him if he seemed to have any problems. He slept all day
and night, and in the morning, was back to his normal, wall bouncing
self. I wonder how many times I woke up to him sounding "Red Alert!
There's a dog a mile away!" Amazing set of lungs on that dog. The only
thing more obnoxious than the screaming he did was his love of fighting
with any dog, regardless of size who showed the slightest sign of not
liking him. He would tolerate an amazing amount of abuse from a puppy,
or a friendly dog, but the slightest sign of hostility was met with a
stare that made a lot of dogs fold up like wimps.

--
BDK
Kook Magnet Supreme!

Best way to put weight on a dog? Fancy Dog health 7 March 1st 07 05:20 AM
Proper weight ? Mikie Dog behavior 18 January 15th 07 05:12 PM
Trying to put weight on my 2 new rotties gump Dogs - general 5 November 13th 06 11:02 PM
Weight-pulling? Chris Williams Dog behavior 0 September 30th 03 03:47 PM
Can't get weight off Dog Gerry Dog health 4 July 13th 03 05:28 PM