dirty boy

Old May 27th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phil Odox

Default dirty boy

When my 9 week old Jack Russell gets a bit tired and fights off sleep
in the usual way pups do by attacking everything and everyone around
him, he also often tries to mate with his bedding, teddy bears, and my
hands while I try to calm him down. Very strange, I would've thought,
for a young pup of only 9 weeks. Now, I have a no-shouting and no-
punishment rule to house-training my pup, and so far this approach is
going great. When he goes to the toilet in the house I calmly pick him
up and carry him into the garden and wait for him to finish what he
started there. When he's done, the problem is over until he wants to
go again. But this method doesn't work for his other problem; as soon
as I bring him back in again he invariably carries on where he left off:
shagging everything remotely shagable. Whatever I use to distract him
gets shagged or ignored.

1) Is this normal behaviour for a 9 week old pup?
2) Is he likely to ever grow out of it, or will he get worse?
3) Does anyone here have any experience with this problem who can
offer me some advice?

Oh Christ - he's doing it again! Must go .....
Old May 27th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Phil Odox wrote:

[...]

I got my JRT at 12 weeks. The humping behavior started shortly
thereafter and escalated to attempting to hump my female BC (risky) and
my male BC (suicidal). He'd also hump human shins, pillows and pretty
much anything else that would hold still for it. When he escalated to
picking fights and urinating on walls, bedding and my feet while I was
sewing I knew something had to be done.

I took him to the vet and although she generally advocates waiting until
a year before neutering small dogs in responsible homes due to concerns
about anesthesia and development of an adult-sized GU system, she agreed
that something had to be done to rein in his thuggish behavior. And so
Cooper was neutered at 6 months of age and the humping and marking did
subside afterwards, although it took about 4 months to see the full benefit.

If the humping is the only obnoxious behavior you might consider
ignoring it (other than brushing him off when you yourself are the
target), and/or locking him out of sight when you've got guests around.
If you're seeing other hormonally driven behaviors or you simply find
the situation intolerable you might want to discuss the situation with
your vet and find out his/her feelings on early neutering in small breeds.

Old May 27th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phil Odox

On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:35:12 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

Phil Odox wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your advice, Kathleen, and for offering your own personal
experience with this breed. I'm glad to hear it's quite normal behaviour.
I knew I was taking on a difficult breed, and I'm more than prepared to
wait for as long as it takes for him to grow out of it. Hopefully, after he's
had his jabs I can walk this problem out of him while he goes through his
frustrated early years.
Old May 27th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-05-27 17:33:01 -0400, Phil Odox said:

I'm more than prepared to
wait for as long as it takes for him to grow out of it.

That's an unusual conclusion to draw from an anecdote that did not
offer "do nothing and wait until he outgrows it" as a solution...

Old May 27th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phil Odox

On 2008-05-27 17:33:01 -0400, Phil Odox said:

I'm more than prepared to
wait for as long as it takes for him to grow out of it.

That's an unusual conclusion to draw from an anecdote that did not
offer "do nothing and wait until he outgrows it" as a solution...

I didn't draw my conclusion from that. I drew it from the first
half of my sentence which you edited out.

"I knew I was taking on a difficult breed, and I'm more than
prepared to wait for as long as it takes for him to grow out
of it."

It follows that if I knew I was taking on a difficult breed, I'd
be more than prepared to wait for as long as it takes for
that breed of dog to grow out of whatever problem he has
during his early years.
Old May 27th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Phil Odox wrote:
It follows that if I knew I was taking on a difficult breed, I'd
be more than prepared to wait for as long as it takes for
that breed of dog to grow out of whatever problem he has
during his early years.

What? If you've got a difficult breed (and nearly everybody
says they do!), you train the dog. The more "difficult" the
dog, the more actively you have to train.

This might be a good time to start looking for classes.

Old May 27th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

It's been my experience that once a humper always one. Even after they are
neutered it can still occur but usually not with such excitement as
originally. Barney my lab mix liked to get happy with his teddy bear even
at age 11.

When I took Buddy in at age 6 he wasn't neutered and lasted here 3 days
before I couldn't take it any more. I called my back up vet and had him in
the next morning to be neutered. After about 6 months all signs of the
behavior has disappeared and hasn't resurfaced.

Celeste

Old May 27th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Phil Odox wrote:
No, I'm going to train him myself without classes.

Is waiting for problem behaviors to go away on their own
part of your training program?

Old May 27th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phil Odox

On Tue, 27 May 2008 22:26:56 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

It's been my experience that once a humper always one. Even after they are
neutered it can still occur but usually not with such excitement as
originally. Barney my lab mix liked to get happy with his teddy bear even
at age 11.

When I took Buddy in at age 6 he wasn't neutered and lasted here 3 days
before I couldn't take it any more. I called my back up vet and had him in
the next morning to be neutered. After about 6 months all signs of the
behavior has disappeared and hasn't resurfaced.

Celeste

I'm not keen on the idea of neutering him, and unless he develops
a medical problem and has to be neutered (which seems very
unlikely) I'll keep him intact. You see, I want a dog with a bit of
spirit and all the boisterousness that goes with this type of breed.
Okay, I didn't expect a randy dog, but I can wait until he grows
out of that sort of thing. He'll mature and develop some good
manners one day if there isn't a short-cut to it. I was hoping to
find one here from someone who has some experience with this
sort of thing.

.. .

Dirty Dog david mabberley Dog behavior 0 August 5th 04 10:05 AM
Dirty Dog david mabberley Dog behavior 0 August 5th 04 10:05 AM
Dirty Dog david mabberley Dog behavior 0 August 5th 04 10:05 AM
Dirty Dog david mabberley Dog behavior 0 August 5th 04 10:05 AM
Dirty Dog david mabberley Dog behavior 0 August 5th 04 10:05 AM