A few Jack Russell questions

Old May 29th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default A few Jack Russell questions

Hi all

I’m looking after my best friends Jack Russell for two weeks and now
that I have her I’m starting to worry about a few things. Hope you
don’t mind me asking for a bit of advice.

Firstly she loves tennis balls, which includes ripping the fluff off
of them. Could this be a choking hazard? And what about tea bags? She
has found a few that have been chucked on the garden and seems to like
ripping them apart.
Finally, I am going to have to leave her on her own for two hours a
day. I have tennis balls, a rubber toy and a few treats. I know she
will be a bit winey but should I be aware of any serious distress?
Old May 29th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

wrote:
Hi all

I’m looking after my best friends Jack Russell for two weeks and now
that I have her I’m starting to worry about a few things. Hope you
don’t mind me asking for a bit of advice.

Firstly she loves tennis balls, which includes ripping the fluff off
of them. Could this be a choking hazard? And what about tea bags? She
has found a few that have been chucked on the garden and seems to like
ripping them apart.
Finally, I am going to have to leave her on her own for two hours a
day. I have tennis balls, a rubber toy and a few treats. I know she
will be a bit winey but should I be aware of any serious distress?

What were your friend's instructions about her care? Did your friend
say anything specific about what s/he does when s/he leave the dog in
the house alone? Has the dog ever choked on been in danger of choking
when in your friend's care? Does your friend give the dog tennis balls
or tea bags?

I ask because I wouldn't say that all tennis balls are choking hazards
to all dogs who like to shred them, but I can see where they might be
for some dogs. Do the tea bags have staples? Staples can't be good for
dogs, but I can't see where the bit of paper and goodies inside would be
a danger. Consider the herbal contents and make sure it's O.K. for dogs.

You need some history on leaving the dog alone too. Lots of dogs are
fine left in the house alone. There are also some who get destructive.
If this were your permanent dog, I'd be giving advice on training and
crating, but since this is a guest for 2 weeks, I'd say to continue
doing whatever has worked for the dog's regular owner.

--Lia

Old May 29th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On May 29, 7:24 am, wrote:
Hi all

I’m looking after my best friends Jack Russell for two weeks and now
that I have her I’m starting to worry about a few things. Hope you
don’t mind me asking for a bit of advice.

Firstly she loves tennis balls, which includes ripping the fluff off
of them. Could this be a choking hazard? And what about tea bags? She
has found a few that have been chucked on the garden and seems to like
ripping them apart.
Finally, I am going to have to leave her on her own for two hours a
day. I have tennis balls, a rubber toy and a few treats. I know she
will be a bit winey but should I be aware of any serious distress?

My boss's wife's JRT ate their woodwork and a bit of the drywall, and
tried to eat the flooring. I would try to limit her zone of
destruction for those two hours a day.
Old May 29th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I arrived home to find her on the
sofa – until she smelt me then she was jumping up at me! Generally
she’s fine at home with lots of rubbish to chew on, I guess I was
panicking a little.

Many thanks again
Old May 30th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

She’s fast asleep after a long walk and run but she is shaking. She
does it all the time and I understand that its related to her being
highly strung and having been for a long run. She shakes a lot when
she is excited so should there be anything to worry about?

Although not a behavioural issue, my father does sometimes drop some
tobacco onto the floor which I’m guessing the dog would like to try
and eat (ugh!) this wouldn’t be a problem would it?

Many thanks again!

Peter (and Lilly)
Old May 30th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison

On Fri, 30 May 2008 07:23:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

She’s fast asleep after a long walk and run but she is shaking. She
does it all the time and I understand that its related to her being
highly strung and having been for a long run.

Where did you get this so-called understanding?

She shakes a lot when
she is excited so should there be anything to worry about?

What do the dog's owners say?

Is it possible that you're just panicking - again?

Although not a behavioural issue, my father does sometimes drop some
tobacco onto the floor which I’m guessing the dog would like to try
and eat (ugh!) this wouldn’t be a problem would it?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Tobacco products can indeed be harmful to dogs:
http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/baddogfoods.html

On the other hand, I've seen several dogs digest small chaws and they
suffered no ill effects from it.

But to play it safe, get your father to be more careful.

And it never hurts to consult a vet if you're worried, eh?

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

What Is Going On At Trinity Church?
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/5/29/9431/74527

"So we repeat: when it comes to health care, reporters must keep one eye on the Democrats."
http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/wat...i.php?page=all

Jimmy Carter. America's worst president, and worst former president. spit
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/265066.php

Americans are paying a terrible price for the Democratic Party's perverse energy policies.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../05/020589.php

Barack Obama: The Whiner's Choice. Toughen up, buttercup.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/05/1...the-table-too/
http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archive...ng-from-obama/

"Never before in human history, though, has a new generation simply failed to appear."
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_.../JE20Dj05.html

Can anyone vouch for Mark Shaw's whereabouts at 11:00 a.m. Saturday morning?
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...6TKqgD90NJ26G0

"Two substantive political issues are the federal budget deficit and the war
in Iraq. Now, if you're electing Democrats to control government spending, then
you're marrying Angelina Jolie for her brains. This leaves the Democrats with
one real issue: Iraq. And so far the best that any Democratic presidential candidate
has been able to manage with Iraq is to make what I think of as the high school sex
promise: I will pull out in time, honest dear." P.J. O'Rourke
Old May 30th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

She has always shaken when we are off out in my friends car and she
gets all excited. I read on forums that this can be a natural thing to
happen. I’ll go now and try to stop being a hypochondriac!

Many thanks again to every one. One of the best forums I’ve come
across in terms of a quick reply.

New Jack Russell Website Teddy Dog behavior 0 June 23rd 07 09:23 PM
Jack Russell and Lab Puppy [email protected] Dog behavior 2 March 16th 06 06:59 PM
Jack Russell Pico Dog breeds 2 September 16th 05 07:50 PM
Jack Russell Rescue Deb Dog breeds 1 September 3rd 05 07:33 PM
puppy jack russell ke.ver Dog behavior 0 October 3rd 03 10:49 AM