haircut in winter

Old June 2nd 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ingenioso

Default haircut in winter

I will be thankful if some expert voice gives me your opinion.

We have in house an Airedale Terrier of 18 months.

We lived in Buenos Aires, where at the moment we are having
temperatures near zero șC.

Yesterday, I visited the veterinarian that we see regularly and we
spoke about the length of the hair of our dog, as we didnt cut since 8
months ago.

I consulted to him specifically if we could cut the hair of our
Airedale now, and if that would affect to the animal based on the low
temperature and being that my family does not allow that the dog
sleeps within the house.

The veterinarian said to me that there were no problem, so we did it.

I sincerely have doubts and I am worried that this can make our
Terrier become ill, if we do not protect it of the cold.

If somebody with knowledge in the subject gives a hand me I am going
it to be thankful.

Eduardo
Old June 2nd 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

ingenioso wrote:
[...]

Long before your dog becomes uncomfortably cold, he will let you know
that there is something wrong. He will shiver. He will whine. He
won't want to go outside. If he is active and playful on walks, he is
fine. A healthy dog, even one sporting a new haircut, should be fine
walking and exercising in temperatures around freezing as long as he
comes home to a warm house. If you see that he's shivering, you could
get him a coat to wear when he's outside.

--Lia

Old June 2nd 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

Hi Edwardo,
I suspect that unless you cut the hair down to the skin, that your airdale
will NOT be too cold, even in the winter temperatures you mention .

Old June 2nd 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Julia Altshuler wrote:

ingenioso wrote:

[...]

During the day, outside, moving around he'd probably be fine. But
because the OP said the dog is not allowed in the house at night it'd be
a little hard to tell if he's shivering.

Old June 2nd 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:
During the day, outside, moving around he'd probably be fine. But
because the OP said the dog is not allowed in the house at night it'd be
a little hard to tell if he's shivering.

Yeah. 0C isn't very cold, really, especially if the sun is
out, but it's not clear from the original post whether
that's during the day or at night. If it's during the day,
it's going to be colder at night (duh!). Also, the dog is
less active at night and isn't going to be moving around to
raise his core temp.

I'd probably consider an appropriately-sized doghouse, or at
least a dog bed to put some insulation between the dog and
the ground (although I think we all know what a terrier can
do to a dog bed!). Ideally the dog could come inside, but
if that's really, truly not an option I'd insulate - dog
house, dog bed, maybe a dog coat although I think a dog
house is a better option (i.e. it works when it's wet
outside).

Old June 2nd 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

snip

that's during the day or at night.snip

I just read 0C as OC (Orange County) and my first reaction was, "I
thought the original poster said he was located in Argentina."

Time for another cup of coffee. I got up at 6 am as usual this morning,
because the dogs needed to pee, but was able to go back to bed, "for
just a few minutes more" because the kids are out of school. Woke up 3
hours later to the wailing of the tornado sirens being tested - it's the
first Monday of the month - and had to rush to get outside so the dogs
could have their howl.

Old June 2nd 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Kathleen wrote:

During the day, outside, moving around he'd probably be fine. But
because the OP said the dog is not allowed in the house at night it'd be
a little hard to tell if he's shivering.

I realize there is a language problem in interpreting the original
poster's English. I understood "We have in house an Airedale Terrier of
18 months" to mean that the dog lives inside and is outside only for
walks and exercise. I just reread the original post and still don't see
the part about the dog not being allowed in the house at night. If it's
there and I just missed it, I agree with you. An Airedale shouldn't be
kept outside in freezing temperatures.

--Lia

Old June 2nd 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
I realize there is a language problem in interpreting the original
poster's English.

I thought the entire post was perfectly clear, just not
perfectly grammatical. I don't find this:

being that my family does not allow that the dog
sleeps within the house.

ambiguous in the least.

Old June 2nd 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Kathleen wrote:

Right here...

... and being that my family does not allow that the dog
sleeps within the house.

Got it. Thanks.
--Lia