Dead bird in the house? Whats the chance of catching something

Old June 3rd 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

Default Dead bird in the house? Whats the chance of catching something

I came home today left the 2 older dogs out then left Gabby out of her
kennel. At which time she runs into the living room and comes running out
through the kitchen and out the door carrying something in her mouth. It
took me a few minutes to realize it was a dead black bird. Once I realized
what it was I chased around twice around the yard to get it from her.
Usually drop it works pretty well with her but in this case she wasn't
giving the bird up so easily.

I'm guessing that when Mike left them out before he went to work that Lady
brought it in with her and he never noticed. It's a pretty good guess Lady
spent from 1:30 until 4:30 guarding her bird from Buddy and finally dropped
it when I got to home and she heard me at the door.

I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and treat them all with a dose of
frontline plus to be on the safe side? I don't know how often birds carry
fleas but I know they have mites but I'm not sure if they are the same kind
of mites that dogs get. If so I'll break open my stash and dose all the
dogs tonight along with the cats. Everyone will be such happy campers I'm
sure.

Celeste

Old June 3rd 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-06-03 18:03:41 -0400, "Spot" said:

it was a dead black bird

West Nile Virus area? I'd call the vet.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Spot" wrote in

I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and treat them all with a
dose of frontline plus to be on the safe side?

I'd be more concerned about potential diseases. Do you know how the
bird died? Was it killed, or did the dogs just find it out in the
yard and bring it in. I'd call my vet, explain what happened, and
get her opinion.

--
Shelly
Old June 3rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

Do you know how the
bird died? Was it killed, or did the dogs just find it out in the
yard and bring it in. I'd call my vet, explain what happened, and
get her opinion.

hmmm - 2 weeks ago, Rudy was rolling on something in the yard and it
turned out to be a very freshly dead some-kind-of-bird (which was
basically inside out at that point). Having seen him in action, I'm
pretty sure the cause of death was HIM. I just chucked it. He stunk to
high heaven though - ICK. Weird how a dog with a soft mouth when
retrieving, who never clamps down or chews, can kill live birds in one
fell swoop.

--
Janet Boss

Bird dog apatters Dog health 4 July 13th 05 09:21 PM
OT - been out of town and catching up Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 5 January 18th 05 07:27 PM
Dog Eats Bird? Child Dog behavior 3 June 17th 04 03:22 AM
Dog Eats Bird? Child Dog behavior 0 June 17th 04 12:12 AM