german dog car safety crash test video

Old June 5th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_3_]

Default german dog car safety crash test video

http://www.adac.de/adactv/test_techn...ageID =213708

Old June 5th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-06-05 17:04:35 -0400, "Beth In Alaska" said:

http://www.adac.de/adactv/test_techn...ageID =213708

Thanks

for posting that. It's fairly horrifying, particularly because they
were using small dogs. Our situation would be worse.

I thought the harness seat belts were probably okay for local errands.
I knew they wouldn't work in a high speed crash. Since I don't speak
enough German, I couldn't tell how fast they were going. They probably
were not going fast.

It didn't look like the survival rate would be very good in nearly all
of the tests.

Old June 6th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

On 2008-06-05 17:04:35 -0400, "Beth In Alaska"
said:

http://www.adac.de/adactv/test_techn...ageID =213708

Thanks

for posting that. It's fairly horrifying, particularly because they were
using small dogs. Our situation would be worse.

I thought the harness seat belts were probably okay for local errands. I
knew they wouldn't work in a high speed crash. Since I don't speak enough
German, I couldn't tell how fast they were going. They probably were not
going fast.

most crashes take place at less than 35 mph. childrens car seats are only
tested to 35 mph.

I was upset that the hardware on the dog seatbelt failed so easily with such
a small dog.

Old June 6th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Beth In Alaska"

I was upset that the hardware on the dog seatbelt failed so easily with
such a small dog.

I've looked at a lot of the "dog seatbelts" out there, and could tell
simply by doing so that most of them are crap, with cheap hardware which
won't withstand real stressing. The other problem with the harness
demonstrated was also perfectly obvious to me when examining that type of
car restraint - anyone with half a grain of logic should be able to tell
that the long strap going from the harness to the seat belt won't prevent
the dog from flying forwards off the seat (as the video so horribly shows).

IOW, the type of harness demonstrated isn't intended for anything but
restraining the dog from moving around the car and distracting the driver.

Old June 7th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

"sionnach" wrote in message

"Beth In Alaska"

I was upset that the hardware on the dog seatbelt failed so easily with
such a small dog.

I've looked at a lot of the "dog seatbelts" out there, and could tell
simply by doing so that most of them are crap, with cheap hardware which
won't withstand real stressing. The other problem with the harness
demonstrated was also perfectly obvious to me when examining that type of
car restraint - anyone with half a grain of logic should be able to tell
that the long strap going from the harness to the seat belt won't prevent
the dog from flying forwards off the seat (as the video so horribly
shows).

Yeh the leash was obviously far too long.