My dog keeps attacking my puppy

Old June 6th 08, 09:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bullielover

Default My dog keeps attacking my puppy

I have a 4year old male bull terrier and just got a 8week old female
bullie terrier, I took her out in the backyard when we got her home to
say hello to our male, i was holding her and my male was just smelling
her didnt look like he was going to do anything, as soon as i put her
down he attacked her, so i took her inside the next day i had her in
the laundry and let them get use to each other that way through the
screen door and he was trying to attack her through the door.
When he does get angry i do let him know that it’s wrong to attack her
and i say pretty loud at him " no! be nice"
I don’t know what too do, has any one had this same problem and can
they help? i dont want to get rid of the female but if he doesnt stop
trying to attack her i’m going to have too.

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/dog-attacki...pict72298.html
Old June 6th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 07:14:26 -0500, diddy none wrote:

bullielover spoke these words of wisdom in news:469765_
:

I have a 4year old male bull terrier and just got a 8week old female
bullie terrier

I don’t know what too do, has any one had this same problem and can
they help? i dont want to get rid of the female but if he doesnt stop
trying to attack her i’m going to have too.

Dog aggression in a bull terrier should not be viewed as a fault or a
problem. It's a part of the character of the breed. Recognise what you
have, and handle your lifestyle around your breed and accept it for what is
hard wired within. Most terrier people manage and separate very carefully
in multidog households

Instead of pretending you can fix something and hoping for the best, except
it and go about doing whatever you need to do to insure your dogs safety.

The OP could try re-introducing the pup to the older guy on neutral
territory, but it may be too late for that.

Going only by what the OP has said so far, probably the best option,
is to return the puppy to the breeder. And I'm a little surprised that
the breeder even allowed the puppy to be placed into a situation like
this one.

The OP didn't sound like he or she has the necessary skills, and
patience, to manage a multi-bully household.

Not many people do.

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

So-called "green" taxes are a con. They have absolutely nothing to do with
saving the planet, or changing people's behaviour. It is all about raising
revenue. Governments around the world have realised that environmentalism
gives them an easy way of squeezing yet more tax out of hard-working people.
And if you object, you are supposed to feel guilty about drowning polar bears.
"Green" taxes also impact most heavily on the poor. This isn't an accident,
it is a deliberate policy.--Bill Carmichael, Yorkshire Post, 31 May 2008

Saudi Montana.
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber...saudi-montana/

Skipping science class.
http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/5820.html

So much for "settled science".
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/wor...html?id=525590

"The next few years are probably not a good time to be a grain farmer in northern Canada..."
http://www.warwickhughes.com/agri/So...NY_Mar2_08.pdf

Why doctors are heading for Texas...and trial lawyers for California.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210...comment aries

Think the contents of your safe deposit box is safe? Not from bank and government thieves.
http://silverbearcafe.com/private/5.08/ripoff.html

"Hitler's Demands Were Not Unreasonable". Wow.
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...t_Unreasonable

A reading assignment for Janet "El Bimbo Más Grande" Boss.
How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, by Thomas E. Woods Jr.
http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Churc.../dp/0895260387

The top ten list of things environmentalists need to learn.
http://depletedcranium.com/?p=368

New Jason Satellite Indicates 23-Year Global Cooling.
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/2871

Sorry to ruin the fun, but an ice age cometh.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...6-7583,00.html

A book that every American should read (and NYT #1 bestseller): Liberal Fascism, by Jonah Goldberg
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascis.../dp/0385511841
Old June 6th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message;

Dog aggression in a bull terrier should not be viewed as a fault or a
problem.

I have to admit that I am surprised that an adult dog is showing aggression
towards an 8 week old puppy of the other gender. Just about all the dog
aggressive dogs I've known have been fairly tolerant of puppies.

Suja

Old June 6th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shari

On the dog shows they encounter this. One thing they do is to teach the
existing dog that the new dog is a positive addition. Whenever they are
around the new dog, and are NOT aggressive, you give them a treat. In
other words, you are trying to teach them that NEW DOG = TREAT, so new
dog is a Good Thing.

Another thing could be jealousy. If it is a jealous issue, then Old Dog
needs to be shown that he is not losing your attention to New Dog. You
might need to ignore New Dog, and pay attention to Old Dog, so that he
stops seeing this intrusion as him losing your attention.

--
Humorous t-shirts
http://www.villagetshirts.com
Old June 6th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shari wrote:
Whenever they are
around the new dog, and are NOT aggressive, you give them a treat. In
other words, you are trying to teach them that NEW DOG = TREAT, so new
dog is a Good Thing.

And how's that worked for you when you've tried it?

Old June 6th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Gina Bull

That worked for me. My new dog was a year old, and SHE was extra-snarky
with my already-resident dog (same age). I praised and treated her for
tolerant behavior. It took a couple of months of vigilance before I
declared victory. The two dogs lived a long and happy life together.

Gina in Virginia
http://www.webshots.com/user/ginainva

Old June 6th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Gina Bull wrote:
That worked for me. My new dog was a year old, and SHE was extra-snarky
with my already-resident dog (same age).

What does extra-snarky mean?

Old June 6th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Gina Bull spoke these words of wisdom in
:

That worked for me. My new dog was a year old, and SHE was extra-snarky
with my already-resident dog (same age). I praised and treated her for
tolerant behavior. It took a couple of months of vigilance before I
declared victory. The two dogs lived a long and happy life together.

Are your dogs terriers?

Terriers are BRED to be dog aggressive. It's genetically coded in.
The problem is, many people obtain these dogs thinking they can
love/train/wish what they are away. And often it works, for awhile. And
the owner fails to observe changes, and excuses and dismisses incidents,
and sticks their heads in the sand in denial until one day they get a
wakeup call and disaster on their hands. It's not fair to either dog.
When you get a breed, research what it is, what it does, what it's traits
are. And accept them.

SOMETIMES a person gets lucky. Often that person gets lucky because they
have the skills and tools to observe, train, condition, prevent, avert
disaster.

Those tools cannot be given over the internet like a handy dandy little
first aid kit.

This person obviously does not have those tools, and is living on a ticking
bomb. For the safety of everyone, the puppy should be returned to the
breeder.
Old June 6th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Gina Bull

Very growly about food, upset at being sniffed, threatening attitude. Once
she even turned on him to bite, but I stopped her. She wouldn't try to snap
at me ... just poor Scotty.

Gina in Virginia
http://www.webshots.com/user/ginainva