Ping Mustang Sally

Old June 10th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Ping Mustang Sally

Do you have any knowledge of the greyhound rescue groups in Minnesota?

A friend of my daughter's is seriously considering a greyhound. And since
they are in the process of buying a house which will give them not only more
room but also the possibility of a fenced yard, they are moving closer to
actually doing something about it.

They met some greyhounds - and a foster/rescue group - at a pet store in a
nearby town ( 90 minutes SW of Minneapolis). I don't know anything about
the group they talked with.

They are (well, *she* is) experienced dog owners in general. And even I,
picky as I am, approve of their dog treatment in general. They are both
well-educated and very willing to learn (and do the right things) about
having a greyhound.

Anything I can share with them of what they need to consider? They
currently have a mini doxie who doesn't mind other well-behaved dogs -
outside of some food aggression when these other dogs are around.

Thanks,

Judy

Old June 10th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:31:31 -0400, "Judy"
wrote:

Do you have any knowledge of the greyhound rescue groups in Minnesota?

Not much (there are somewhere around 300 groups in the US so it's
difficult to keep up with everybody), but see below.

A friend of my daughter's is seriously considering a greyhound. And since
they are in the process of buying a house which will give them not only more
room but also the possibility of a fenced yard, they are moving closer to
actually doing something about it.

They met some greyhounds - and a foster/rescue group - at a pet store in a
nearby town ( 90 minutes SW of Minneapolis). I don't know anything about
the group they talked with.

Can you find out the name?

They are (well, *she* is) experienced dog owners in general. And even I,
picky as I am, approve of their dog treatment in general. They are both
well-educated and very willing to learn (and do the right things) about
having a greyhound.

Anything I can share with them of what they need to consider? They
currently have a mini doxie who doesn't mind other well-behaved dogs -
outside of some food aggression when these other dogs are around.

Do they have kids under 5 or 6? Some groups won't adopt to families
with children that age, some will make exceptions if there's already a
dog in the home or a stay-at-home mom, etc. If they do have children
that age, they should get a male greyhound, even if the rescue group
doesn't specify that. Although there are females that are fine with
kids, males generally are more patient and more likely to walk away
from an obnoxious toddler, where a female might discipline the child
as if it were a pup. Fenced yards make life with greyhounds much
eaiser and happier for the dog. If there are children, a fenced yard
is a must - again, even if the rescue group doesn't say so. They
should find a group that does home visits, because IMO that enables
the group to make a better match. We require all adopters to read
Adopting the Racing Greyhound, 2nd or 3rd edition, by Cynthia
Branigan, so if they're really serious it would be a good idea for
them to read that. There are only a handful of groups nationwide that
do tick testing on their dogs, but it's an important thing to do, so
if the family does adopt a greyhound and the group doesn't either test
the dog or provide information to adopters on testing, let me know and
I'll give you the info.

Greyhound and mini dachshund should be fine together, even if the
dachshund disagrees.

Mustang Sally

Old June 10th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
Can you find out the name?

I will ask.
Do they have kids under 5 or 6?

No kids. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are none ever. But at least
for a while. In the lifetime of a dog, I don't know so I'll pass on your
gender information to them.

We require all adopters to read
Adopting the Racing Greyhound, 2nd or 3rd edition, by Cynthia
Branigan, so if they're really serious it would be a good idea for
them to read that.

Thanks for that suggestion. I will pass it on to them. I'm sure they will
want to read it.

There are only a handful of groups nationwide that
do tick testing on their dogs, but it's an important thing to do, so
if the family does adopt a greyhound and the group doesn't either test
the dog or provide information to adopters on testing, let me know and
I'll give you the info.

Thanks also for that information.

Greyhound and mini dachshund should be fine together, even if the
dachshund disagrees.

She is fine with other calm animals so I didn't think there would be a
problem. With our two schnauzers, we elected to not introduce them.
Molly's idea of play is to run away which REALLY sets off Sassy's prey
drive. I know that Molly has been fine with both a calm (who knew they
existed?) border collie and with cats. And her owners managed the food
issue while the BC was visiting and have plans for any necessary steps if
adding another dog to the household.

Thanks for the information. As I said, they are pretty good dog owners so I
thought I'd like to help them stay that way.

Judy

Old June 10th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:14:43 -0400, "Judy"
wrote:

She is fine with other calm animals so I didn't think there would be a
problem. With our two schnauzers, we elected to not introduce them.
Molly's idea of play is to run away which REALLY sets off Sassy's prey
drive. I know that Molly has been fine with both a calm (who knew they
existed?) border collie and with cats. And her owners managed the food
issue while the BC was visiting and have plans for any necessary steps if
adding another dog to the household.

Make sure they tell the rescue group that they have the mini dachs,
and they should ask to have any prospective adoptee meet her before
adopting. Or, they should ask for a cat-safe dog, as those are
usually fine with small dogs as well. A mini dachsie isn't going to
trigger most greyhounds' prey drive, but you can't be too safe.

Thanks for the information. As I said, they are pretty good dog owners so I
thought I'd like to help them stay that way.

Absolutely. Let me know if you/they need more information.

Mustang Sally

Ping Mustang Sally Suja Dog behavior 53 October 17th 07 07:10 AM
Ping: Mustang Sally Handsome Jack Morrison Dog behavior 1 July 11th 06 02:15 AM
Bozoi coats (ping Mustang Sally) sighthounds & siberians Dog behavior 3 June 14th 06 04:05 AM
PING Mustang Sally Suja Dog behavior 3 January 24th 06 06:51 PM