Tail report

Old June 20th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

Default Tail report

With a few more days before our next vet check on Marcie's tail, I am
incredibly pleased with the healing. I took a bold step today and
washed the area with a wet washcloth and I'm pretty confident that
Tuesday's appointment will give the thumbs up to stop bandaging.

Marcie's tail first bled on April 2nd, so this has been a long healing
process! I thank everyone who sent me links and advise on tail healing
and I used all of it to come up with what would work for us.

I think I'm going to type up a little "bandaging 101" for my vet, and
anyone else who may need it. The combo we wound up using held up really
well, protected her tail, and promoted healing. Most importantly
though, it was simple to do once the pattern was set, and it had low
impact on the dog(s), which was crucial.

--
Janet Boss
Old June 20th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Janet Boss wrote:

With a few more days before our next vet check on Marcie's tail, I am
incredibly pleased with the healing. I took a bold step today and
washed the area with a wet washcloth and I'm pretty confident that
Tuesday's appointment will give the thumbs up to stop bandaging.

Marcie's tail first bled on April 2nd, so this has been a long healing
process! I thank everyone who sent me links and advise on tail healing
and I used all of it to come up with what would work for us.

I think I'm going to type up a little "bandaging 101" for my vet, and
anyone else who may need it. The combo we wound up using held up really
well, protected her tail, and promoted healing. Most importantly
though, it was simple to do once the pattern was set, and it had low
impact on the dog(s), which was crucial.

I'd like to see a copy of your tail wrapping protocol when it becomes
available.

Old June 20th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I think I'm going to type up a little "bandaging 101" for my vet, and
anyone else who may need it.

I definitely think that you should put that up on your
website, so that people who are searching for that kind of
information online can find it.

Old June 20th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

I'd like to see a copy of your tail wrapping protocol when it becomes
available.

sent - for editorial review! Thanks!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 20th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

advise

OK - that could and should have been adviseD or adviCe. I couldn't
decide which I wanted to use!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 20th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom in
:

In article , diddy none
wrote:

advise

OK - that could and should have been adviseD or adviCe. I couldn't
decide which I wanted to use!

Marcie sure has made the case for those with breeds who traditionally dock
tails because their tails are subject to happy tail injuries!
Old June 20th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I did forget - Use "magic eraser" to remove blood spatters from all over
the house.

Do those really work?

Old June 20th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

Marcie sure has made the case for those with breeds who traditionally dock
tails because their tails are subject to happy tail injuries!

I always figured that only "naked" tails were at risk! Hairy tails are
obviously not immune.

It is interesting though. Look at how many skinny, naked tails DON'T
get docked. Tails very similar to those seen on traditionally docked
breeds. Do they really have more tail injuries than hairy tailed dogs?
What about dogs who do have hair tails and have them docked? Like
Aussies (which may be a natural bob, may be a partial or full tail)?
Apparently they work stock differently than BC's, but since the vast
majority never see sheep (or once in a rare blue moon), does it really
make sense to dock?

I don't have very strong feelings about docking one way or another. I
do love my breeds' feathered tails though and really hated the thought
of Marcie possibly losing her tail to this. In such a very waggy
breed, their tails are only secondary to their tongues as a strong
character trait!

--
Janet Boss