Micro-chipping question

Old June 24th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shari

Default Micro-chipping question

Last year we adopted a shelter dog, and paid extra for her to have her
microchip set to our contact info. I was under the impression that it
was set permanently.

But this week I got a renewal bill (not sure if it's from the same
company or if there are many companies?) for another year's renewal.

Is this a scam? Are microchips paid once and set to your info forever?
Or is there usually a yearly fee?

Shari

--
Dogs, bears, patriot, sports and cars t-shirts
http://www.villagetshirts.com
Old June 24th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"Shari" wrote in message
Last year we adopted a shelter dog, and paid extra for her to have her
microchip set to our contact info. I was under the impression that it
was set permanently.

But this week I got a renewal bill (not sure if it's from the same
company or if there are many companies?) for another year's renewal.

Is this a scam? Are microchips paid once and set to your info forever?
Or is there usually a yearly fee?

Shari

It depends upon the information included in your micro chip contract. I
don't recall the details, so please forgive me on this. But you can have
different information and different plans. My husband took care of all
this, so I don't exactly remember what it all includes for the various
costs. The basic micro chipping, IIRC, is the one time charge. Then there
are add on's, like notifying vets within a certain mile radius if your pet
goes missing. Sending out photo's to various shelters and rescues, etc. If
you have any of those add-ons, I believe there is a yearly fee.

td

Old June 24th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
It depends upon the information included in your micro chip contract.

What?

Old June 24th 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shari wrote:
Is this a scam? Are microchips paid once and set to your info forever?
Or is there usually a yearly fee?

Microchipping and registration are two separate processes.
Once you have the chip inserted and pay for it, it's yours
(they can't remove it or turn it off - seriously). However,
there needs to be some way to associate the number on the
chip with your contact information and that's what the
registries are for. There are several, which makes things
somewhat more confusing.

The AKC Companion Animal Recovery registry charges a
one-time fee. My understanding is that HomeAgain charges a
recurring fee.

Old June 24th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Shari wrote:

Is this a scam? Are microchips paid once and set to your info forever?
Or is there usually a yearly fee?

You can register the chip number with any agency you choose. Some
are subscription services (with a yearly renewal) and others charge
a one-time. I've got the latter, through AKC's CAR program. The
chip itself was kind of expensive, but life-time registration was
about $12.50 (and still is 9 years later--wow!). I can update the
contact info as frequently as I want, for the life of the dog.

AKC CAR:
http://www.akccar.org/

--
Shelly
Old June 24th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

tiny dancer wrote:
don't recall the details, so please forgive me on this. But you can have
different information and different plans. My husband took care of all
this, so I don't exactly remember what it all includes for the various
costs.

If you don't remember, or never knew in the first place, then you
should refrain from giving advice on the subject. Really. It's not
helpful. Or was your goal to confuse Shari even further?

--
Shelly
Old June 24th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Shelly wrote:
others charge a one-time

fee.

I am severely undercaffeinated.

--
Shelly
Old June 24th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"tiny dancer" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

"Shari" wrote in message
[...]

You are correct TD. If you have basic services, there is no additional fee.
If you want all the bells and whistles, you need to pay a recurring fee.

details here http://www.homeagain.com/1_0.html
Old June 24th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

elegy spoke these words of wisdom in
:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:32:30 -0400, Shari wrote:

Last year we adopted a shelter dog, and paid extra for her to have her
microchip set to our contact info. I was under the impression that it
was set permanently.

But this week I got a renewal bill (not sure if it's from the same
company or if there are many companies?) for another year's renewal.

Is this a scam? Are microchips paid once and set to your info forever?
Or is there usually a yearly fee?

what company?

i'm guessing homeagain. they've got a new program that includes all
kinds of extra junk (they'll send your dog's picture/info to all the
local vets/shelters if she goes missing, you get one free phone call
to poison control, etc) for an additional annual fee. if you do not
pay that annual fee, your information is still and will continue to be
linked to your microchip, and works just fine.

personally, i don't pay the annual fee.

Me either. And because they wanted to add all that marketing junk, I wrote
them and told them that I would never chip with their company again. And i
wont.
I think the pressure sucks.
Old June 24th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

diddy wrote:

You are correct TD. If you have basic services, there is no additional fee.
If you want all the bells and whistles, you need to pay a recurring fee.

How do you know what plan or even what company Shari is dealing
with? It may be that the company her chip was registered with
doesn't have a basic plan. They may only have a subscription service.

--
Shelly

OT web tv question Merry Darr Dog behavior 12 October 15th 03 05:21 AM
OT web tv question Merry Darr Dog behavior 0 October 14th 03 11:37 AM
Question II Merry Darr Dog behavior 0 October 11th 03 03:39 PM
Teeny, tiny, micro-brag KWBrown Dog behavior 4 August 10th 03 01:34 AM