Most and least aggressive breeds, per U of Pennsylvania study

Old June 26th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Ike

Default Most and least aggressive breeds, per U of Pennsylvania study

U Penn's Center for the Interaction of Animals and
Society released data published 6/25/08 by Discovery
News at http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/

For some reason, raw data is presented without
tabulation or comparison, so I transfered the numbers to
a table and then did sorts and averaging, leading to the
following (reading from top to bottom, so in the first
example Jack Russell is MOST and Greyhound is LEAST):

The most dog-aggressive breeds
Jack Russell
Pit Bull
Dachshund

The least
Havanese
Whippet
Greyhound

The most human-aggressive breeds
Dachshund
Chihuahua
Beagle (!)

The least
Brittany Spaniel
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Poodle

ON AVERAGE (humans+animal/2)

The most aggressive
Dachshund
Chihuaha
Jack RUssell

The least
Brittany Spaniel
Whippet
Greyhound

COMMENTS:
The dogs some might expect to see high on the lists
(Akita, Rotty, Dobe, German Shepherd) were about in the
middle. The dogs that seem to belong near the bottom in
aggression (Cocker, Springer, Mastiff, Golden) were also
in the middle. I was surprised by U Penn's data, but the
numbers are big enough to be statistically valid, so...

My German Pinscher didn't appear on the chart. Evidently
no human victim survived to report her behavior, and of
other dogs there was no trace remaining.

Ike
Old June 26th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

Ike spoke these words of wisdom in news:g40v34$7c2
:

[...]

They sure took a small sampling of breeds. it's so small, in fact, that
it's pretty much meaningless
Old June 26th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

Ike spoke these words of wisdom in news:g40v34$7c2$1
@registered.motzarella.org:
COMMENTS:
The dogs some might expect to see high on the lists
(Akita, Rotty, Dobe, German Shepherd) were about in the
middle. The dogs that seem to belong near the bottom in
aggression (Cocker, Springer, Mastiff, Golden) were also
in the middle. I was surprised by U Penn's data, but the
numbers are big enough to be statistically valid, so...

i would have expected the Cocker, Springer to be higher on the list. Also the
golden, based on shere numbers of the breed.
Old June 26th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
Ike wrote:
ON AVERAGE (humans+animal/2)

??? That's potentially rather like averaging US lake depths
and calories in an apple, unless you're extremely clear
about what it is that the number is describing. Like rather
than describing it as an "average," describe it as an
"unsuitability for the novice owner index" or something like
that.

Old June 27th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Ike" wrote in message
[...]

============
I didn't know that Beagles and JR's were aggressive. I don't know much
about JR's but I have never met an aggressive Beagle.
I would have expected Cockers to be higher on
the list also.
My brother's tiny mini Dachshund tried to bite my dog on the nose a couple
of times. I don't see them very often. TG my dog is gentle and well
mannered, because it wouldn't take much to really hurt the little dog. I
try to keep my dog away from him and any other nervous barking dogs. But,
that little thing just charged right up to her barking, leaped up at her and
tried to bite her nose. Actually, I think he succeeded.. No one could
believe their eyes. Everyone thought that was the end of the little guy,
but then no one could believe how well my dog handled it. My dog never
even flinched or growled. The little Dachshund only weighs 6 pounds and my
Rotty weighs 87 lbs; who would think.

Old June 29th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Phyrie

"Ike" wrote in message
U Penn's Center for the Interaction of Animals and Society released data
published 6/25/08 by Discovery News at
http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/

The most dog-aggressive breeds
Jack Russell
Pit Bull
Dachshund

I don't know about this data but I do know that I've never, ever met a
dachshund who didn't bite me. Not one. Ever. I hate those damn dogs! I
don't even like looking at pictures of them. It's become almost a phobia.
Nasty, nasty creatures. IMO only, of course. I'm sure there are perfectly
nice little wiener dogs out there somewhere. I've just never met one.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old June 30th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

"Phyrie" wrote in message

"Ike" wrote in message
U Penn's Center for the Interaction of Animals and Society released data
published 6/25/08 by Discovery News at
http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/

The most dog-aggressive breeds
Jack Russell
Pit Bull
Dachshund

I don't know about this data but I do know that I've never, ever met a
dachshund who didn't bite me. Not one. Ever. I hate those damn dogs!
I don't even like looking at pictures of them. It's become almost a
phobia. Nasty, nasty creatures. IMO only, of course. I'm sure there are
perfectly nice little wiener dogs out there somewhere. I've just never
met one.

I've known a couple of Dachshunds, and I don't recall any aggression
problems. The one I remember best, Grindel, was owned by a guy in the
Sierra Club, and he would take her on hikes, sometimes with her riding in
his backpack. She once took a chunk out of somebody's sandwich when he
wasn't paying attention! But it does seem like smaller dogs are more likely
to nip and otherwise act fearfully or aggressively. I can remember a rather
nasty Chihuahua when I was a kid, and a neighbor's small chow-chow type dog
snapping at me only a few years ago (before I got Muttley). Also my friend
dog-sat for a JRT who seemed snarky. The big dogs I have met, including
Dobermans, Rotties, Anatolians, and a wolf hybrid, have seemed more
confident and more stable, and not as yappy and snappy.

Paul and Big Gentle Muttley

Old June 30th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

"Paul E. Schoen" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"Ike" wrote in message
[...]

I agree about chihuahua's I've met more nasty than nice ones. But I don't
fear for my life from chihuahua attacks. If worst came to worst, and i
really feared for my life from them, I'd just step on em. problem solved.
Old June 30th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sionnach

"Phyrie" wrote:

I don't know about this data but I do know that I've never, ever met a
dachshund who didn't bite me.

A friend of mine is currently playing host to an old army buddy, the
buddy's wife and kids, AND their three dachshunds. (The buddy has just left
the Army & relocated to the area, and they're staying with my friend while
house-hunting.)
My friend reports that one of the dachsies is refusing to eliminate out of
doors - I'm not clear on whether this is a new or old issue - and that
another bites him every time he attempts to play with his own two dogs;
hasn't broken skin, apparently, but has left bruises.

OTOH, I've known several quite nice dachsies at our local de facto dog
park - the one we currently see most often is very sweet, athough he doesn't
listen to his owner at all, and is a mild pest to female dogs he finds
attractive (he's intact).

Old June 30th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
FurPaw

diddy wrote:

I agree about chihuahua's I've met more nasty than nice ones. But I don't
fear for my life from chihuahua attacks. If worst came to worst, and i
really feared for my life from them, I'd just step on em. problem solved.

Some how I don't see you doing that, diddy.

My impression w/r/t Chihuahuas is that the problems lie more with
the owners than the dogs, when the owners don't train the dogs or
set boundaries for acceptable and unacceptable behavior, and
tolerate snapping and snarkiness because they are "just so little."

And just like any other breed, there is a range of dispositions.
IME with up close and personal knowledge of 9 Chis, 5 were
pretty stable and never snapped or snarked at anyone, as far as I
knew, 3 showed the potential in adolescence but it was controlled
by training, and one was a snappy, snarky little thing whose
owner was clueless about how to control her.

I don't have much experience with Dachshunds, but I'd bet the
same kind of thing happens with them.

FurPaw

--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.