Separation anxiety and crate training

Old July 2nd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.pets.dogs.pitbull,alt.pets.dogs.labrador,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Bad Puppy

Default Separation anxiety and crate training

HOWEDY victek,

"Victek" wrote in message
"When we come back even after a short time (one or two
hours) he becomes quite frantic and cries/whines after we
let him out"

Perhaps he's tryin to be the BOSS of you, eh, victek??

Yes, but what does he do when you're actually GONE.

Some dogs go catatonic when locked in a box.

That is a better indicator of whether you're dealing with SA.

No, IT AIN'T {}: ~ (

Dogs SUFFER separation anXXXIHOWESNESS on accHOWENTA
they FEAR their ABUSER'S RETURN, not their ABSENCES {}: ~ (

His reaction AFTER you come home is one
that your behavior affects an awful lot.

INDEED?:

"J1Boss" wrote in message
On 6 Feb 2006 17:41:08 GMT, Mary Healey
, clicked their heels and said:

Does that include tone of voice? Some tools are easier
to ban than others.

yes - screaming banshees are told to shut up! And I
always have to remind spouses that they may NOT do the
"honey - you're supposed to be doing it like THIS"......
--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

How do you greet him?

victek IGNORES his dog when he come back to his HOWES.

What have you tried to diffuse the situation?

Has victek TRIED THIS?:

"Loop the lead (it's basically a GIANT nylon or leather
choke collar) over his snarly little head, and give him a
stern correction" --Janet Boss
http://tinyurl.com/5m6ppt

"J1Boss" wrote in message

He was next to me and I could see his neck
muscles pulsing. He didn't even blink an eye.
Janet Boss

"sionnach" wrote in message
"J1Boss" wrote in message
I can't imagine needing anything higher than a 5 with it, even with an
insensitive dog like a Lab.

An INSENSITIVE DOG???

I can't remember what model of Innotek I have, but I had a pointer
ignore a neck-muscle-pulsing 9.

Do you think the citronella collar is CRUEL
cause the SMELL LINGERS after the dog's
been sprayed in the face and the dog won't
know HOWE COME IT was MACED?

janet CONtinues:
My dogs are not human children wearing fur- they are DOGS. I don't have
anything against electronic bark collars, but they
should be used in conjunction with actually working at training your
dog(s).

They're DUMB ANIMALS these MENTALLY ILL LYING
DOG ABUSERS HURT INTIMIDATE and MURDER.

-------------------

When does he stop?

janet's REAL LIFE IN-PERSON "student" of three years, nessa's
dogs STOPPED after they TURNED ON HER and DESTROYED
HER HOWES and got her EVICTED and she GOT RID OF THEM.

REMEMBER??:

Subject: Night time barking.. Help needed
1 From: Nessa
Date: Wed, Sep 18 2002 5:50 am
Email: Nessa

Morning all,

Bagel and Hannah are doing well except for
night time barking in the house for play time.

Problem is it that when I am trying to sleep esp.
between 1 and 5. I CAN'T just let them bark it
out (because if I could it's no biggie and I can
sleep through it).

My problem is that my next door neighbors (I live in
a townhouse) don't appreciate it (and I can't blame them).

If they are very tired after a day at the park they tend
to sleep better but I can't get them to the park now
everyday because it gets dark earlier. I try to let them
run around a bit in the neighborhood with other dogs
but it's not enough.

oh that is when the owners and I are standing there.
we try to let them all play under supervision.

I can live with the banging (as Bagel slams Hannah
into the wall or Hannah throws one of her bones down
the uncarpeted steps and they waterfall down the steps
(there is no other way to describe dogs running down
wooden steps)

I know a tired dog is a good dog. I just don't know
what to do to hold off the barking. I know they are
playing and all I can think of is the line from the kids
book Go Dog Go (one of my favorites) is:

Now it is night
Sleep dogs sleep

(btw the drawing is of all these dogs sleeping in a big bed
on the pillows like humans with their party hats on)

I'm at the point where I am considering a soft muzzle to
prevent parking. Someone has offered the use of the
shock collar to teach no bark but I don't want to do that.

I'm too sleep deprived to do anything much.

HELP!!

Nessa
--
I don't have issues

2 From: J1Boss
Date: Wed, Sep 18 2002 7:48 am
Email: (J1Boss)

Nessa wrote:
Problem is it that when I am trying to sleep esp. between 1 and 5. I
CAN'T just let them bark it out (because if I could it's no biggie and I
can sleep through it).

What the (*&(*)(* are they doing awake between 1 and 5?

I can live with the banging (as Bagel slams Hannah into the
wall or Hannah throws one of her bones down the uncarpeted
steps and they waterfall down the steps (there is no other way to describe
dogs running down wooden steps)

Baby gate. Door.

Do NOT let them wander the house getting
more charged up.

I'm too sleep deprived to do anything much. HELP!!

Nessa - I would seriously consider why these dogs
are up at 1-5 and even thinking they CAN be! They
need to be confined to your room, told firmly to knock
it off, and have that backed up with some sort of
correction if they don't.

If all else fails, tether then away from each other, but
honestly, if they aren't responsive to you telling them
to cut it out, we're back to the "bigger issues" problem.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Maybe she can't scream at her dogs at night?

nessa CONtinues:

A few weeks ago it started at 5:30 am and it has become increasingly
earlier until this morning he started at 4:00. Ignoring him has proven to
be futile, as has calming him down and rewarding him with a treat and, as
a last resort, spraying him with water from a plant sprayer.
This morning I even put him in his crate and took him into the bathroom
with me as I prepared for work (normally he stays in a x-pen in the
kitchen) but he only calmed down for a few minutes before the whining
began again.

A 1 year old should be hanging out with you. Overnight,
around the house, and heck, even neat the bathroom while
you get ready for work..
--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Subject: Puppy license expires
1 From: Nessa
Date: Fri, Jul 26 2002 5:57 am
Email: Nessa

Yep, she is pretty much housebroken so I let her
out of the crate at night to sleep with me. But last
night, while I was asleep she ATE MY GLASSES.

It's my fault, I left them on the night table (where I
always leave them) so I could see when I got up.

I needed a new pair but I wanted to be able to get
them without having to miss work. Now, poof here
I am glassesless. thank goodness we have 1 hour
glass makers pretty close by.

Well she's crated now until this chewing phase is over.

Hannah will be 5 months old next week. Any advice
on how to deal with this other than the standard, no bite,
here chew this, crating, etc.

Nessa
--
I don't have issues

Date: 2003-09-17 14:14:51 PST
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:16:04 -0400,
Charlie Wilkes wrote (in message
):

Yes, it's a huge improvement over shoving them in crates
at night. But why does Bagel have to be leashed?

because he will wander the area (room if i close
the door or house if i don't) and pee and bark all
night long. but i said that already you must not
be reading for comprehension.
--
Nessa

=========

We've observed him through the window when we come
home and before he sees us he appears peaceful. We'd have to setup a
video camera to really know how he's handling it when we're not there.

Don't you think you should do THAT pryor to takin IT to the vet, victek??
Your veterinary malpracticioner will want to KNOW EVERY THING.

His behavior changes when he see us and we do understand that our response
is a factor. We show him we're happy to see him, but we ignore the
whining.

Naaaah?

Here's janet's SUCCESS "trainin" dogs:

From: Nessa )
Subject: Sad News.. I need someone to take my dogs

Date: 2003-08-26 09:55:03 PST

well I'm not BLAMING my job it's ONE of MANY
things that I'm considering.

As for returning them to their respective shelters,
I don't want to split them up and I'm not going to
give them to just anyone. Possibly because I am
doing everything I can to keep them and drag this
mess out as long as possible in hopes that it will
work out.

--------------------

BWEEEAAAHAAAHAAA~!~!~!

It made a noticeable difference when I understood this and stopped trying
to console him, which only made the acting out worse.

So, you DON'T REALLY have a PROBLEM, eh, victek??

Apart from this issue the dog is well adjusted.

You mean, other than he's GOIN INSANE an DESTROYIN your HOWES?

He doesn't have "accidents" in the house and he's calm and happy as long
as he can be around us. The goal is to be able to leave him
in our front patio (so he can relieve himself if necessary) and trust that
he won't bark constantly and destroy things, but we don't know
how to move forward.

Naaaah? Perhaps janet got some PROFESSIONAL TRAININ advice?

LIKE THIS:

From: J1Boss )
Subject: Allstate won't insure my house due to dangerous breed
Date: 1999/01/11

My homeowner's policy DID pay over $2300 to cover
automobile damage for the person who killed my dog
recently.

My rates don't change, I'm not dropped,
my dogs weren't questioned.

Perhaps there is more to the "judgement" criteria than meets the eye.

Janet BossBR
Best Friends Dog ObedienceBR
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"

"Read your question for the obvious answer"

My insurance company paid over $2300 to fix someone's
car after my dog was hit and killed. If the car had hit a deer,
the car owner's insurance would have had to pay. The leash
law in my county meant that even without INTENTIONAL off leash
circumstances, the car driver had a right to compensation from
my homeowner's insurance, even though he was very much speeding.
Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

There you were bragging to somebody else about how good your
allstate insurance was. That your rates didn't change, even though
you paid somebody $2300 for killing your dog.

You were happy about that.

Happy you didn't have to pay for it out of your own pocket.
Feelin' pretty good about yourself and your choice in insurers.

You were happy your rates didn't change. You were happy you
weren't dropped. You were happy your (remaining) dogs weren't
"questioned" by your all powerful insurance company which you
work so hard to remain in good favor of.

Janet Boss

AND LIKE THIS:

"My Lab Mix Died In 104 Degree Heat, But He Chose
To Be Outside In That Brutal Heat" janet boss, Idiot,
Thug, Dog Killer, Liar, Mental Case:

From: J1Boss )
Subject: Sudden Doggie Death, please help!
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.health
Date: 2001-07-20 15:03:09 PST

From: (Leslie W. Rodriguez)
I am desperately searching the web trying to help me
find out why my 1 yr old lab died all of the sudden
yesterday. If you can help me w/ recognizing any
of her symptoms please let me know.
I left yesterday at around 2:00pm for an appt and
she was great. When I returned by 6:00pm she
was lying on the ground, unable to move, making
groaning sounds, throwing up and having diarrhea.

It almost seemed as if she was convulsing but since
I'm far from a dog expert I had no clue what was
going on. Also her gums we're slightly bleeding
w/ a funny color to them.

We live in Texas where it was 100 degrees yesterday
so I was thinking that she was too hot or something
so I washed her down w/ the water hose and tried to
give her ice cubes, nothing helped!

Sounds like heat stroke. Why was she outside in that kind of heat?

Around 7:30pm she had about 3 hacking
spells then stopped breathing.

And hour and a half after you found her in distress? Yikes!

I couldn't have driven her to the vet because she was
unable to walk and I had no way of picking her up.

Call a spouse, a neighbor, the vet, the police - SOMEONE could help!

If any of this sounds like something you are familiar
w/ could you please let me know what was going on
w/ her.
Thanks for any help,

It does. My lab mix died 13 years ago in 104 degree heat.

I felt very guilty that I didn't come home just 1/2 hour earlier
from work to MAKE him come in from the heat. He did
have that choice though.

He could have been indoors in air conditioning via a
dog door, but chose to be outside in that brutal heat.
My neighbor said he was barking at a passerby just 1/2
hour before I came home (a favorite activity). It was a
horrible day, but had he been alive and in distress when
I came home, I would have stopped passing cars if I
hadn't been able to lift him myself, if it meant getting
him to the vet to LIVE!

He was 15.5 years old - his time was going to be up one
way or another, but the day still haunts me 13 years later.

No dogs since have been given a choice
but to stay in the air conditioning.

I don't KNOW that his was heat stroke, it could have
been his heart or a severe stroke. At his age it was
going to be something. Heat had to have been a
contributing factor though.

Rule of thumb - never own a dog you can't lift or
figure out how to lift. Life may depend on it.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"

"Second-hand dogs AREN'T second-rate"