urine sample

Old July 3rd 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

Default urine sample

Vet visit#2 (in my search for a new vet) was today. It was okay but didn't
make me go "this is my vet" so I'll try a couple more. I want to take in a
urine sample but don't have much experience with obtaining one. Anybody
have any tips for doing this? The couple of times I tried to get one from
Shelby were a bust. She was so freaked out by me putting a pie pan under
her that she immediately stopped. Shadow is a male so not sure what would
be the best way to get his. Also anybody have success getting a urine
sample from a cat?

Kathy

Old July 3rd 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

kat wrote:
Vet visit#2 (in my search for a new vet) was today. It was okay but didn't
make me go "this is my vet" so I'll try a couple more. I want to take in a
urine sample but don't have much experience with obtaining one. Anybody
have any tips for doing this? The couple of times I tried to get one from
Shelby were a bust. She was so freaked out by me putting a pie pan under
her that she immediately stopped. Shadow is a male so not sure what would
be the best way to get his. Also anybody have success getting a urine
sample from a cat?

Kathy

I don't have experience with cats; here's what we've done with
our dogs. Some things might apply to cats.

Don't use a pie pan, use a measuring cup with a long handle
(2-3"), and tailor the size of the cup to the dog. Chihuahua -
1/4 cup. Lab - full cup.

Have cup, leash and collar at your bedside, ready to snap on
first thing in the morning (most urine samples need to be from
morning's first urine, ime.)

Take the dog outside on the leash, and try to position the cup in
a catching position as soon as he/she begins to urinate.

He - try to stick it under the stream.

She - stick it between the legs from behind.

Some dogs will freak, others will barely notice. Get as much as
you can. Transfer it to a throwaway container that you can leave
with the vet.

Be prepared:

Your dog will pee on your hand.

Your neighbors may laugh at you, especially if you are wearing
pajamas.

HTH -

FurPaw

--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 3rd 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"kat" wrote in message
net...
Vet visit#2 (in my search for a new vet) was today. It was okay but
didn't
make me go "this is my vet" so I'll try a couple more. I want to take in a
urine sample but don't have much experience with obtaining one. Anybody
have any tips for doing this? The couple of times I tried to get one from
Shelby were a bust. She was so freaked out by me putting a pie pan under
her that she immediately stopped. Shadow is a male so not sure what would
be the best way to get his. Also anybody have success getting a urine
sample from a cat?

Kathy

No experience with a cat, sorry. I've used a large jar, and I've also used
a big ladel. I will say Merlin was easier than my females, so good luck!
Merlin is my first male, and I got a sample first try with him. IIRC, I
used a big ladel with him. He didn't flinch, just looked at me like 'what
the hell are you doing?' ;-)

td

Old July 3rd 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"kat" wrote:

Vet visit#2 (in my search for a new vet) was today. It was okay but didn't
make me go "this is my vet" so I'll try a couple more. I want to take in a
urine sample but don't have much experience with obtaining one. Anybody
have any tips for doing this? The couple of times I tried to get one from
Shelby were a bust. She was so freaked out by me putting a pie pan under
her that she immediately stopped. Shadow is a male so not sure what would
be the best way to get his. Also anybody have success getting a urine
sample from a cat?

Kathy

My male dogs have been the only issue. Rudy peed into a Perrier bottle
for me, Franklin into a teeny vial (film roll size) at the vet.
Elimination on command is awesome!

For cats the Breeze litter system, with no pad.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 3rd 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
"kat" wrote:

Vet visit#2 (in my search for a new vet) was today. It was okay but didn't
make me go "this is my vet" so I'll try a couple more. I want to take in a
urine sample but don't have much experience with obtaining one. Anybody
have any tips for doing this? The couple of times I tried to get one from
Shelby were a bust. She was so freaked out by me putting a pie pan under
her that she immediately stopped. Shadow is a male so not sure what would
be the best way to get his. Also anybody have success getting a urine
sample from a cat?

Haven't had to get one from Peanut yet, but for Toby it was easy...used
something flat, plastic, and fairly shallow that could be bent to make
it easy to pour into something that could be sealed. He either never
noticed or it didn't bother him. The one time I had to get a urine
sample from Buddy (to place a few drops in an appropriate location
outside, when we were having problems getting him to pee on his walks,
at the suggestion of someone on this group) I used one of those
semi-disposable Ziploc bowls, again no problem. You just wait for the
leg to go up and have whatever you're catching it in positioned properly.

Hint: don't wear good clothes or shoes while you're doing this,
though... I never had any problems but Murphy never sleeps.
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*
Old July 3rd 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:
Don't use a pie pan, use a measuring cup with a long handle
(2-3"), and tailor the size of the cup to the dog. Chihuahua -
1/4 cup. Lab - full cup.

I've used a pie pan with female dogs. The office manager at
my vet's office rigged up a pretty cool thing made from the
bottom cut off a Clorox bottle and an unbent hanger as a
handle.

She - stick it between the legs from behind.

From behind is the key, I think. Greta was a savvy dog and
would move away when she saw me approaching with a pan, so I
started waiting until she'd got a good stream going and
stick it under her then, and then she started waddling away
while peeing. But we always got a sample.

Old July 3rd 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"kat" spoke these words of wisdom in
net:

Vet visit#2 (in my search for a new vet) was today. It was okay but
didn't make me go "this is my vet" so I'll try a couple more. I want to
take in a urine sample but don't have much experience with obtaining
one. Anybody have any tips for doing this? The couple of times I tried
to get one from Shelby were a bust. She was so freaked out by me
putting a pie pan under her that she immediately stopped. Shadow is a
male so not sure what would be the best way to get his. Also anybody
have success getting a urine sample from a cat?

Kathy

I always use a dustpan that i keep exclusively for this purpose
Old July 3rd 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Kevin Michael Vail said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I used one of those
semi-disposable Ziploc bowls

Did that particular Ziploc container turn out to be semi-
disposable or fully-disposable?

Old July 3rd 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

Top Post: Thanks everybody for the good suggestions. I'll try them all and
see which ones work the best for Shadow and/or the cats.

net...

Old July 3rd 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

Kevin Michael Vail said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I used one of those
semi-disposable Ziploc bowls

Did that particular Ziploc container turn out to be semi-
disposable or fully-disposable?

It's been so long I don't remember.

:-)
--
Kevin Michael Vail* * | I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
* * * | than one closed by belief. * -- Gerry Spence