Just like a woman

Old July 3rd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default Just like a woman

Yesterday after a hard day of tracking in mid-day heat, only to find I'd
left Tuck's end-of-track rewards at home, I took both Tuck and Reka to the
ice cream stand for ice cream cones as a reward for work well done.

Reka ate hers, and kept running to the ice cream window, standing up on
the bricks, trying to get more ice cream to come out the window.

So I handed Tuck $5 and told him to take it to the window and pay. He was
on his way to the window, when Reka stole the $5 (isn't that just like a
woman?) from Tuck, and ran to the window and whined until the girl opened
the window and took her money. She stood looking in the window until the
Ice Cream Cones came out.

So dogs (Both of mine) understand the concept of shopping just as Danny had
before.

None of us would have been the least surprised if that had been Tuck paying
for the ice cream. It wouldn't have even been mentionable. The surprise
was that it was REKA! But even though it was a surprise, she has all the
elements of that capability, I just never knew she had that kind of
chutzpa! And she did it herself and knew exactly what to do, and what she
expected from the results.
Old July 3rd 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

diddy none wrote:
... The surprise was that it was REKA!

I suspect that Reka gets a bit overshadowed (first by Danny, then by Tuck),
and you don't have the same expectations of her that you do/did of the
boys. I confess that I'm that way about Duke. Sweet dog, easy to live
with, but it's very easy to forget that he's a bright fellow because he
doesn't put himself forward for notice.

Reka seems to be able to learn through observation and to apply that
learning, another quality she shares with Duke. Of course, he doesn't have
the superior examples to follow that she does g, but at least he hasn't
applied his powers of observation to learning all the *bad* behaviors he
sees around here!

Yay, Reka!
Old July 3rd 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

apparently reka is well motivated by ice cream.

I think you should consider sending her here. I have lots of ice cream. Or
at least i could buy her ice cream whenever she wished.

I met an elkhound puppy in washington last week - what a lovely puppy she
was!! Very friendly but calm and confident and wonderful with monk.

Old July 3rd 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

M Healey spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy none wrote:
... The surprise was that it was REKA!

I suspect that Reka gets a bit overshadowed (first by Danny, then by
Tuck), and you don't have the same expectations of her that you do/did
of the boys. I confess that I'm that way about Duke. Sweet dog, easy
to live with, but it's very easy to forget that he's a bright fellow
because he doesn't put himself forward for notice.

Reka seems to be able to learn through observation and to apply that
learning, another quality she shares with Duke. Of course, he doesn't
have the superior examples to follow that she does g, but at least he
hasn't applied his powers of observation to learning all the *bad*
behaviors he sees around here!

Yay, Reka!

Since Reka got a co-owner, I have rediscovered Reka. Reka's co-owner has
spent a lot of time with her making her do the things that she sees Tuck
doing. Reka does get overshadowed by Tuck. When i got Reka, she was mainly
a companion for Danny. I knew I was losing Danny, and she had such a sense
of humor, that I decided i never wanted to train her for fear of losing her
sense of humor and replacing it instead with regimentation.. I liked her
just the way she was.

Reka's co-owner decided Reka had all the foundation building blocks
installed that Tuck did. She saw Tuck doing all this stuff, and knew Reka
was smart, and she (The co-owner) could have all the fun I was having with
Tuck.

I confess, after Danny died, I just didn't mess with any dog much. And Reka
disappeared in the shadows. I was busy feeling miserable.
Then Tuck was my reawakening. Reka slid deeper into the shadows, spending
every day tucked away from the world sleeping endlessly in the bathtub. By
night, she was under the bed. By day, in the bathtub unless I made her get
out to go do something. She has essentially become the forgotten dog. She
had no expectations. She became my husband's hunting dog. i knew when I
got Tuck, that I needed to do better by Reka, and offered Reka to a friend
in Georgia, who accepted. I thought this would be a great match for the
both of them. But my husband, who claimed Reka as HIS personal dog
objected. He wasn't going to let Reka go. I felt saddened, because this
mean Reka would not get enrichment and the personal attention that I felt
that she needed. I knew with the training Reka had, and personality, she
would be someone's dream dog.

I wanted better for Reka, and when her co-owner took interest in her (I had
been training her for tracking simply to get her out of the house, but
never intended to title her) because she needed a dog to title in tracking
as she wants to become a tracking judge. Turns out, she's had to earn it,
because a handler change to a dog is a BIG DEAL. Reka is certified, but
getting into a test is not so easy. We've been trying for 6 months to draw
into a test. So Reka's co-owner has been training Reka in many other
venues.

Reka has blossomed, and I've rediscovered Reka as Reka has come out from
the shadows. She loves the training, and still retains the fresh face,
spontaneity and benefits from the confidence that "can do" offers as self
esteem.

Although Tuck is my personal dog, Reka has benefitted so much by this co-
ownership deal that so often when I see Reka do things that I would expect
only Tuck to do, i'm surprised at her abilities. Reka IS her co-owners
dream dog. And she thinks Reka is the most amazing dog she's certainly
ever had, and thinks she's the most amazing dog ever, until she sees Tuck.

And then she does concede that Tuck's abilities supercede Reka's.

She would keep Reka all the time, but Tuck wants her very much in his life,
and she's a lot of fun to have around. My husband would never have let her
go, if she was totally out of our lives, so Reka lives two lives and loves
it.

The co-ownership arraingment works so well, and because of the co-owner,
I've rediscovered Reka, and find her an amazing girl as well.

Old July 3rd 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
Yesterday after a hard day of tracking in mid-day heat, only to find I'd
left Tuck's end-of-track rewards at home, I took both Tuck and Reka to the
ice cream stand for ice cream cones as a reward for work well done.

Reka ate hers, and kept running to the ice cream window, standing up on
the bricks, trying to get more ice cream to come out the window.

So I handed Tuck $5 and told him to take it to the window and pay. He was
on his way to the window, when Reka stole the $5 (isn't that just like a
woman?) from Tuck, and ran to the window and whined until the girl opened
the window and took her money. She stood looking in the window until the
Ice Cream Cones came out.

snipped
Brilliant! That would have been good to have on video.

Old July 3rd 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Reka normally waits until I eat off the top, down to the cone. Both Reka
and Tuck like the cones. But the Ice Cream? Not so much. I think it gives
them brain freeze. But they both had been worked hard, it was hot, they
both needed their core temps lowered. And i had neglected to bring water.

So even though home was a few minutes away, I thought we all could use some
cook refreshment and both dogs wanted their ice cream this time and not
just the cone.

I think you should consider sending her here. I have lots of ice cream.
Or at least i could buy her ice cream whenever she wished.

I met an elkhound puppy in washington last week - what a lovely puppy
she was!! Very friendly but calm and confident and wonderful with monk.

Who wouldn't get along with Monk?

Old July 3rd 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-03 06:17:51 -0400, diddy none said:

Since Reka got a co-owner, I have rediscovered Reka.

It looks like she's not happy in the shadows anymore. "I can do that, too!"

Good for all of you!

Old July 3rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jan, Kozzie Girl and Sylvie

On Jul 2, 10:47*pm, diddy none wrote:
[...]

That is so cute, way to go Reka.

Jan and the girls
http://www.thefineartcare.com
Old July 3rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..

None of us would have been the least surprised if that had been Tuck
paying
for the ice cream. It wouldn't have even been mentionable. The surprise
was that it was REKA! But even though it was a surprise, she has all the
elements of that capability, I just never knew she had that kind of
chutzpa! And she did it herself and knew exactly what to do, and what she
expected from the results.

Well before she always had Danny. After all, c'mon diddy, you know we women
are usually much better at handling money than males!

Way to go, Reka! You do our gender proud!

td

Old July 3rd 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:53:57 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

After all, c'mon diddy, you know we women
are usually much better at handling money than males!

One word: Horsefeathers.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Obama Panders to Women by Insulting Men.
http://www.deanesmay.com/2008/07/01/...insulting-men/

Ad Featuring Popular Police Pup Sparks Anger in Scottish Muslim Communities.

Man Saves Bear from Drowning (including a picture).
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...12593&catid=82

We Can Lower Oil Prices Now.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121486800837317581.html