glands draining

Old July 3rd 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
BB

Default glands draining

Hi
Been told that when a dog scoots or whatever you call it that sometimes it's
because certain glands need draining and not worms.
I'd never heard of this before but it seems most dog people have. I would
search on the net for info but typing something like "dog wipes a..." may
turn up some odd results!
So if anyone knows about it and can give me some info i appreciate it. At
least I'd know what to search for.
Cheers BB

Old July 3rd 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"BB" . spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Hi
Been told that when a dog scoots or whatever you call it that sometimes
it's because certain glands need draining and not worms.
I'd never heard of this before but it seems most dog people have. I
would search on the net for info but typing something like "dog wipes
a..." may turn up some odd results!
So if anyone knows about it and can give me some info i appreciate it.
At least I'd know what to search for.
Cheers BB

This should help
http://www.google.com/search?q=express+anal+glands+dog

Old July 3rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty

"BB" . wrote in message
Cheers me dears
BB

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
"BB" . spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Hi
Been told that when a dog scoots or whatever you call it that sometimes
it's because certain glands need draining and not worms.
I'd never heard of this before but it seems most dog people have. I
would search on the net for info but typing something like "dog wipes
a..." may turn up some odd results!
So if anyone knows about it and can give me some info i appreciate it.
At least I'd know what to search for.
Cheers BB

This should help
http://www.google.com/search?q=express+anal+glands+dog

Atty gets hers done at the vet. There are some things worth paying for.
Jadee's vet did them externally. Atty's vet does them internally. I've
asked why the difference, and Atty's vet seems to think a more complete job
can be done internally. Yet another reason to pay her to do them!

Sue and Atty

Old July 3rd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"BB" . wrote in message
Cheers me dears
BB

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

i pay the vet in the winter. In the summer, I do it outside, myself.
And when I see I need to do it. I up the fiber in my dogs diet. The dog
needs roughage in order to keep the dogs anal glands healthy.
The trend of people trying to feed all meat diets, I think, makes this a
growing problem. Dogs are NOT obligate carnivores.
Old July 3rd 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-03 09:04:52 -0400, "Sue and Atty" said:

Atty gets hers done at the vet. There are some things worth paying for.

Our vet showed me how to do this and I decided then and there that this
was not a DIY project for me. I appreciate the fact that the vet
thought I should have the information, but...

Old July 3rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

montana wildhack said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Our vet showed me how to do this and I decided then and
there that this was not a DIY project for me. I appreciate
the fact that the vet thought I should have the
information, but...

I'm not sure what I'd do if I had a dog which needed expressing
on a regular basis. Suck it up (so to speak) and learn to do it
myself, I suppose.

Old July 3rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-03 12:12:43 -0400, Rocky said:

I'm not sure what I'd do if I had a dog which needed expressing
on a regular basis. Suck it up (so to speak) and learn to do it
myself, I suppose.

I'd find out which is less expensive: having a groomer or a vet tech do
it. There is just no way I'm ever going to deal with that process. I
think Diddy mentioned a change in diet and I'd sure try that.

Since I'm so averse to the job, that would translate right through the
doubled Vinyl gloves to the dog and probably make the whole experience
more traumatic.

It's not a job DH would do, either.

I suppose if we were in the middle of nowhere, I might change my mind. Ick.

Old July 3rd 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

montana wildhack said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I'd find out which is less expensive: having a groomer or a
vet tech do it. There is just no way I'm ever going to deal
with that process. I think Diddy mentioned a change in diet
and I'd sure try that.

My dogs have always eaten good roughage, like whole carrots.
My suspicion is that those undigested chunks do some good
going out.

Since I'm so averse to the job, that would translate right
through the doubled Vinyl gloves to the dog and probably
make the whole experience more traumatic.

Vinyl gloves would be a requirement.

I suppose if we were in the middle of nowhere, I might
change my mind. Ick.

My Ick Factor is being unlearned. There's stuff that I once
thought I couldn't do that I have done because circumstances
dictated.

Anal glands, though, I'm not sure. I think that I could do it
but count myself lucky that that test hasn't confronted me.

Old July 5th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
megs

Usually a groomer will do it and it's included in the price of the groom or
bath. So if you get these services anyways, it may be cheaper for the
groomer to do it. I do it if the client requests it, but it's pretty gross
and it smells HORRIBLE. If you get it on anything fabric it never comes out.

--
Meg
"Aquiring a dog may be the only chance a human ever has to choose a

anal glands Nicki Sinclair Dog health 1 April 10th 07 12:40 AM
This Group Is Draining showdogbark Dog behavior 56 June 22nd 06 01:30 PM
anal glands mike Dog health 7 January 25th 06 03:41 AM
anal glands JM Dog health 20 August 12th 03 05:44 AM