Almost Lost Peanut!

Old July 3rd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Almost Lost Peanut!

About an hour ago, I got a call at work from a woman who asked me "Is
your dog Peanut?" I said yes, and she said "I found him running loose
and I have him at address." I thanked her profusely and tried to call
David from the other phone, but got his voicemail. Thirty seconds later
I got a hysterical call from him, as the dog walker had come back
without Peanut and with the other two dogs on mixed-up leashes. Luckily
I was able to tell him Peanut was safe and he told me later that he
literally collapsed on the floor when I told him that, out of relief.

I left work and grabbed a taxi, where the woman who found Peanut was
waiting with him in her car, and she even gave me a ride home (it was
about six or eight blocks from here, and Peanut's leash had come home
without him). David feels terrible and is an emotional wreck even
though this is not even remotely anything he is responsible for, but
this is his worst nightmare--and he felt even worse because it was *my*
dog who was lost.

We are still trying to get the full story from the dog walker. What
little we have so far is that apparently he was jumped by two guys while
he was bringing the three dogs back here, and somehow Peanut got loose
and took off. Something about his bicycle (although I cannot imagine a
single reason someone walking three dogs professionally was being
accompanied by or possibly riding a bicycle), although if it were me I
would rather buy a new bicycle than try to explain to a client why I
lost their dog. The other co-owner is supposed to have called us back
and hasn't. If we don't hear soon I think all three of us (David,
Michael, and I) will be down there tomorrow to find out the story.
Obviously this company won't be doing anything for our dogs anymore no
matter what, but we would like to know what happened.

The only reason I am not also hysterical is that I knew Peanut was all
right at the same time I found out he was missing. I can't imagine my
reaction otherwise, because this is also my worst nightmare.

I told the woman who found him and who held him for me that anything I
owned was hers, but she wouldn't take anything. She just said "I have a
little dog of my own at home." Maria, if you read this, the offer still
stands...if you ever need *anything* from me, just ask. I will be
eternally grateful to you forever.
--
Bright eyes/burning like fire, * * * * * | Kevin Michael Vail
Bright eyes/how can you close and fail?* |
Old July 3rd 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message
[...]

Poor David, I'm so glad you didn't have the longer agony as he did.
Gracie jumped my fence back at the other house shortly after I got her. And
then she couldn't jump back in, it would have been an uphill jump from the
other direction. I had a hold on her collar over the fence, but she was too
heavy for me to lift, and all along the back, everyone had fences, so I
couldn't get around there to get her. She finally took off running along
all the fence lines. By the time I got my car keys and took off to find
her, she was gone. I was frantic and inconsoleable. Called my daughters
and my husband at work. One of my daughters found her about an hour later.
She drove up and down the roads in our subdivision, as I had done, calling
her name. Finally Gracie came out from behind a home, just short of the
very busy, very heavily travelled main road leading into our subdivison.

So glad Peanut is home and safe, thank god for Maria.

td

Old July 3rd 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message:

Thirty seconds later
I got a hysterical call from him, as the dog walker had come back
without Peanut and with the other two dogs on mixed-up leashes.

How awful! Glad everything turned out okay.

Me, too!

There is something awfully smelly about that story. How on earth did Peanut
get off the leash if he still kept his collar (unless he had two separate
ones on)?

He has a collar with his ID and stuff, and a harness we use while
walking him...both were still on him when found. Maggie had Peanut's
leash attached to her collar, Buddy somehow had his own, still. This is
one of the details we have to find out because you're right, something
really smells about this.
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*
Old July 3rd 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Kevin Michael Vail spoke these words of wisdom in
:

[...]

Awwww scary but happy ending! But if the guy really was jumped.. it doesn't
sound as if it was his fault.

Old July 3rd 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article , diddy none
wrote:

Awwww scary but happy ending! But if the guy really was jumped.. it doesn't
sound as if it was his fault.

Well, if. We haven't gotten a straight story yet, and there's still the
matter of the bicycle.

I'm just glad Peanut is back safe, though.
Old July 4th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
. ..
(snip)
I was frantic and inconsoleable. Called my daughters
and my husband at work. One of my daughters found her about an hour
later. She drove up and down the roads in our subdivision, as I had done,
calling her name. Finally Gracie came out from behind a home, just short
of the very busy, very heavily travelled main road leading into our
subdivison.

(snip)

I'll never forget that event either Tiny. You were as close to a nervous
breakdown as I've ever seen and it took weeks for you to recover.
Karla

Old July 4th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-03 16:27:49 -0400, Kevin Michael Vail said:

He has a collar with his ID and stuff, and a harness we use while
walking him...both were still on him when found. Maggie had Peanut's
leash attached to her collar, Buddy somehow had his own, still.

So glad that Peanut is safe.

Does this person work for a business or is he self-employed? Sometimes
weird stuff does happen...

Old July 4th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message
(snip)
I told the woman who found him and who held him for me that anything I
owned was hers, but she wouldn't take anything. She just said "I have a
little dog of my own at home." Maria, if you read this, the offer still
stands...if you ever need *anything* from me, just ask. I will be
eternally grateful to you forever.

You have a Guardian Angel!

I am so happy that everything worked out..it's such a crap shoot, but the
stars lined up and Peanut was safe.

Karla
. . . . .

Old July 4th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How on earth did Peanut
get off the leash if he still kept his collar (unless he
had two separate ones on)?

FWIW, I've had that happen to me. The leash simply came off the
collar D-ring. When it happened a second time (while I was
holding the dog) I saw that the spring mechanism of the leash
clasp hadn't fully closed because of dog hair. Then it worked
loose. I've never had this happen with the stronger mechanisms
on large dog leashes.