Furminator Question

Old July 14th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Furminator Question

I have a really dumb question. The other of my brother's dogs is a black,
long-ish haired beastie that sheds a lot. He was 'groomed' last Tuesday,
and as part of that, they trimmed him way down on his body. Left the
tail/head intact, so he looks like an odd sort of poodle (via Edward
Scissorhands). The body hair is only about an inch long, and he continues
to shed copiously. I have access to the Furminator through dog park
friends - any idea if it will hurt his skin/hair if I use it on his shorn
body? The hair is too short for a rake to work properly, and it takes
forever and a day to do proper hair removal with a regular brush.

Suja

Old July 14th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in
:

any idea if it will hurt his skin/hair if I use it on his shorn
body? The hair is too short for a rake to work properly, and it
takes forever and a day to do proper hair removal with a regular
brush.

It probably depends on how sensitive he is, in general, but I'd give
it a try. FWIW I tried the cat-sized Furminator on my inner arm, and
it was not at all uncomfortable.

--
Shelly
Old July 14th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have access to the Furminator through dog park
friends - any idea if it will hurt his skin/hair if I use
it on his shorn body?

I had my furminator with me at a small town agility trial the
other weekend - many people had never seen one before, so it got
passed around. It seemed to work on most coat types and
lengths, though I didn't see it used on poodley coats.

One caveat mentioned to me by groomer (who doesn't like
furminators) is to keep the strokes short to avoid pulling out
live hair. I was getting a half-dozen live hairs in a full
brush of dead undercoat. I suspect that these live hairs were
ready to fall out anyway, but I bow to her experience.

Old July 14th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in
:

This boy is very soft, and he's missing his daddy, so I want to be
extra nice to him. He goes through life trying his best not
create any waves.

I'd still give it a try. Be gentle (not like you wouldn't be), and
he may really enjoy it.

That said, I'm told that he can be barky at the dog park. I will
pull out my water gun if he goes there. I can't *stand* barky
dogs.

Oh dear. Maybe he'll be quieter on unfamiliar territory?

--
Shelly

Old July 14th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in
:

I just used a slicker on him, and he was acting very nervous.
Even did a 'I came out of that alive!' dance when I let him go, 5
minutes later.

Slickers are scratchy and can be uncomfortable for some animals. The
Furminator, not so much, even on bare skin. NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO
TALK YOU INTO ANYTHING!1!!!!! (I feel like I'm nagging, but I swear,
I'm not.)

Unfortunately, not. He's been to our dog park before, and SOP is
to run in circles around playing dogs, barking at them. So maybe
he'll get wet, but at least he'll get some exercise.

So he has the potential to make your ears bleed *and* make you motion
sick? What's not to love?

Both dogs
really need more of it, and Ms. Smushface has lost some weight in
just two days.

Wow!

--
Shelly
Old July 14th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

I'd still give it a try. Be gentle (not like you wouldn't be), and
he may really enjoy it.

I just used a slicker on him, and he was acting very nervous. Even did a 'I
came out of that alive!' dance when I let him go, 5 minutes later.

Oh dear. Maybe he'll be quieter on unfamiliar territory?

Unfortunately, not. He's been to our dog park before, and SOP is to run in
circles around playing dogs, barking at them. So maybe he'll get wet, but
at least he'll get some exercise. Both dogs really need more of it, and Ms.

Old July 14th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

Slickers are scratchy and can be uncomfortable for some animals. The
Furminator, not so much, even on bare skin. NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO
TALK YOU INTO ANYTHING!1!!!!! (I feel like I'm nagging, but I swear,
I'm not.)

Don't worry. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I can't be talked into
anything I wouldn't want to do. I have asked friends to lend me their
Furminators so I can try it out on him at the dog park. Maybe I can
recommend it to the ELB.

So he has the potential to make your ears bleed *and* make you motion
sick? What's not to love?

That's pretty much it. It also has the bonus feature of making perfectly
nice dogs get snarky, probably 'cause their ears are starting to bleed as
well.

Wow!

His dogs get a lot more exercise here, and being a small dog, the changes
are much more immediate and obvious in her. Not only does she get to go on
the long walks with the bigger dogs, she also gets to play fetch until my
arms get tired. ELB thought I was nuts for insisting on a walk in the
middle of a rain storm yesterday afternoon. Maybe I am, but the dogs are
getting their walk, dammit!

I should probably probably post a picture of it, but Shazzy has what looks
like udders. Two of her back nipples are kinda low hanging. I don't know
what that's about, and my brother says that the vet said not to worry about
it, but that can't be normal! While neither dog is seriously overweight,
I'm going to work under the premise that the dogs need better muscle tone;
hopefully, 5 or 6 days is enough to make enough of a difference that he'll
take their exercise requirements more seriously.

Suja

Old July 15th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-14 17:28:53 -0400, "Suja" said:

I'm told that he can be barky at the dog park. I will pull out
my water gun if he goes there. I can't *stand* barky dogs.

Awww... you bring back happy memories of Tracy, who LOVED being shot
with water guns!

Beanie is sensitive to the Furminator, so I don't quite do a ninety
degree angle, and I do very short strokes. Kind of like when you're
scratching quickly behind a dog's ear to activate it's leg.

Old July 15th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Suja" wrote in message
I have access to the Furminator through dog park
friends - any idea if it will hurt his skin/hair if I use it on his shorn
body? The hair is too short for a rake to work properly, and it takes
forever and a day to do proper hair removal with a regular brush.

Suja

I've seen it get quite a bit out of a Weim, for what it's worth.

Sue and Atty