Ping Melinda

Old July 15th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Ping Melinda

I see that the Empire Working Dog Club is having a seminar at Geneseo on
July 26. The speaker is Dr. Joseph J. Wakshlag, DVM, PhD.

He's speaking on nutrition for well, athletic, geriatric and health
compromised dogs.

It says that he is from Cornell and that he also races his own sled dogs.

Do you know anything about him?

If I can get the day free, is it likely to be worth my time and gas?

http://www.empireworkingdogclub.com/...lagSeminar.pdf

They are also having Jean Dodds speaking at the end of August in Honeoye
Falls.

Judy

Old July 15th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Do you know anything about him?

Sure - he worked with Arleigh Reynolds before the latter
moved into the private sector, and Joe's basically taken
over the nutrition program at the vet school. He's the one
who started the clinical nutrition program at the hospital,
as well. I've exchanged email with him a few times and I've
read a couple of articles he had published in Mushing
Magazine, and as nearly as I can tell he's doing really good
work.

I don't think it's possible to know enough about dog
nutrition, and from the discussions we've seen recently
lots of otherwise dedicated dog owners don't even try. I
think that if you go you'll definitely learn something to
help your dogs perform better.

Old July 15th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
I don't think it's possible to know enough about dog
nutrition, and from the discussions we've seen recently
lots of otherwise dedicated dog owners don't even try. I
think that if you go you'll definitely learn something to
help your dogs perform better.

It's one of my few weekends off this summer. So I may hold off another week
or so and see if the day stays clear on my calendar. I found it on the
website when I was sent information about the Dodds seminar in August. I
think it actually interests me more than the later one.

I'm thinking about the Dodds seminar also. What better way to spend my
birthday?

Thanks for the information.

Judy

Old July 15th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
It's one of my few weekends off this summer. So I may hold off another week
or so and see if the day stays clear on my calendar. I found it on the
website when I was sent information about the Dodds seminar in August. I
think it actually interests me more than the later one.

Well, I think either is obviously going to be worthwhile.
I'm biased, however, not only because nutrition is such an
important part of my dog sport but also because I think it's
harder to find information on dog nutrition. There aren't
that many books available, surprisingly, and what's
available online tends to be promoting this or that diet.

When I asked how many people here had read a book on dog
nutrition I got zero responses. It may be that people
didn't see it, or that they saw it and didn't respond, or
whatever, but I think it's pretty likely that people aren't
reading much about nutrition.

A while ago Joe had an article in Mushing about balancing
Omegas 3 and 6 and the potential for inflammation if you get
it wrong. It's that kind of stuff that I think most people
don't get to read about.

I'm thinking about the Dodds seminar also. What better way to spend my
birthday?

I am *so* not going to touch that one.

Old July 15th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
When I asked how many people here had read a book on dog
nutrition I got zero responses. It may be that people
didn't see it, or that they saw it and didn't respond, or
whatever, but I think it's pretty likely that people aren't
reading much about nutrition.

Okay, I get to raise my hand on that one. Performance Dog Nutrition by
Jacobs. I think I absorbed the biggest points of the book - or at least the
ones that related most to my situations. Mostly it makes me aware of how
much I don't know but it also made me feel like I wasn't doing too badly
with our program.

Probably most of what I don't know I don't NEED to know, now or ever. But
it's one of those things that someday I might want to know a whole lot more
about so I figure it's a good thing to start building a base for future
knowledge.

I'm thinking about the Dodds seminar also. What better way to spend my
birthday?

I am *so* not going to touch that one.

I'm thinking it's a fear of dementia. Keep the mind active.

I talked with an agility friend up there in Ithaca one night. Her mother
has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and she's still in the "is it
hereditary" panic mode. We decided that agility was a very good thing. You
have to be able to study diagrams of courses, walk the course, follow the
rules of the game, make a plan on how best to handle the challenges of the
course. Then you have to physically go out and act on it. And then you add
in the dog and the training that went into HIS part. And then there's the
social aspect of the trial itself. We figure it may not be a guarantee of
protection but it encompassed everything short of nutrition that we could
think of to do.

And then I just heard (this morning maybe?) that people who are more
physically fit seem to have less complications or less extreme dementia.
That just might be the incentive I need.

Judy

Old July 15th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Probably most of what I don't know I don't NEED to know, now or ever.

I actually think that's almost always the case in pet dog
situations, which are far more common than performance dog
situations. It seems to me that even completely middling
dog kibbles are actually very good at meeting dogs'
nutritional requirements, and that the typical house dog
eating Purina Dog Chow is probably eating much more
healthily than his owner.

But, that doesn't stop people from having really Really
REALLY strong opinions on feed, and that's what strikes me
as weird.

Old July 15th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
It seems to me that even completely middling
dog kibbles are actually very good at meeting dogs'
nutritional requirements, and that the typical house dog
eating Purina Dog Chow is probably eating much more
healthily than his owner.

I think the real question is "Is there anyone who hasn't fed Bag-o-Crap to a
dog at some point in their lives?"

I *think* I'm more aware of what my dogs are getting than back in the days
of Gainesburgers and Mighty Dog. But the bottom line is that those dogs did
just fine. And that includes dogs from complete couch potatoes to extremely
active and fit hunting dogs.

Judy

Old July 15th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

Default omega balancing - (was: Ping Melinda)

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

A while ago Joe had an article in Mushing about balancing
Omegas 3 and 6 and the potential for inflammation if you get
it wrong. It's that kind of stuff that I think most people
don't get to read about.

Any chance there's an online version of this? Or can you scan/email a hard
copy of it if you have one? I'll give you my email address if that's a
possibility.

I'd be interested in seeing it. Now that Atty's on a suppliment for mild
arthritis, I'd like to help her by not letting it progress any faster than
it must.

Sue and Atty

Old July 15th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message

Any chance there's an online version of this?

You can buy back issues through their website. I recall their turn
around time being pretty fast.

http://www.mushing.com/

--
Shelly

Old July 15th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I think the real question is "Is there anyone who hasn't fed Bag-o-Crap to a
dog at some point in their lives?"

Hah! I have fed ... Dads. And then I thought I was getting
really snazzy high-end when I switched to ... Science Diet.
The dog did fine, although I think that we'd have had major
bonk if I'd asked for anything resembling real work.

I think it's better to feed better than it is to feed worse
(one of them there tautologies), but the truth is that
barring special circumstances a mid-range Purina is going to
do just fine by the average dog. The issue with Muttley is
that he's fat, not that he's getting crappy food.

Ping Melinda Judy Dog behavior 4 September 7th 07 05:52 PM
Ping Melinda Manadero Dog behavior 3 December 13th 04 02:57 PM
PING Melinda Judy Dog behavior 45 May 28th 04 02:48 AM