Specific Breed Legislation Update

Old July 16th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

Default Specific Breed Legislation Update

We have a new twist in our breed ban issue.

In our city, if you own a Pit Bull type breed, you have to have special
liability insurance, have your dog registered with the city (different
fro getting a license), have a special pen in your back yard, and you
have to comply with special leash laws (3 ft. leash and muzzle) when
you walk your dog.

Our city council and our council's safety committee have been having
hearings. At one meeting, some people addressed council to express
their dismay with the proposed ban legislation. Not all of them owned
pits, but it seems that all of them have been visited by a dog warden
to make sure they were in compliance with laws on the books now.

I guess if you're going to express your feelings in front of a body of
the government, you'd better know the existing laws and be in
compliance.

The I-Team footage of one woman's Chihuahua was priceless...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5kejtr (TinyURL preview to Fox8 news report.)

Old July 16th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article 2008071609190816807-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:

I guess if you're going to express your feelings in front of a body of
the government, you'd better know the existing laws and be in
compliance.

The I-Team footage of one woman's Chihuahua was priceless...

Geez louise. I testified against BSL, but not in my county. BSL lost,
but if not, I wonder if Baltimore City would have taken names and
followed up. I'm betting there would have been a witch hunt there as
well.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 16th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:19:08 -0400, montana wildhack
wrote:

[...]

Brian Powers seems like a real piece of work. I was born in Lakewood,
but I sure wouldn't live there now.

Old July 16th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-16 12:24:29 -0400, sighthounds & siberians said:

Brian Powers seems like a real piece of work. I was born in Lakewood,
but I sure wouldn't live there now.

He's usually a good guy - that's the weird thing.

Old July 16th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey[_2_]

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2008-07-16 12:24:29 -0400, sighthounds & siberians said:

Brian Powers seems like a real piece of work. I was born in Lakewood,
but I sure wouldn't live there now.

He's usually a good guy - that's the weird thing.

He's a weenie-worded weasel in a politician's smarmy suit. (What's the
deal with the pen in the yard, anyway? The other stuff is simple
overreaction, but the pen thing is inexplicable.)

--
Mary & the depleted Ames National Zoo
(Ranger, Duke, Rhia-cat)
Old July 16th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On 2008-07-16 12:24:29 -0400, sighthounds & siberians said:

Brian Powers seems like a real piece of work. *I was born in Lakewood,
but I sure wouldn't live there now.

He's usually a good guy - that's the weird thing.

He's a weenie-worded weasel in a politician's smarmy suit. *(What's the
deal with the pen in the yard, anyway? *The other stuff is simple
overreaction, but the pen thing is inexplicable.)

--
Mary & the depleted Ames National Zoo
(Ranger, Duke, Rhia-cat)

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. Yoda never gets left outside, so
why should I have to put up a pen. Bunch of idiots.

Nick
Old July 16th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-16 14:16:29 -0400, Mary Healey said:

He's a weenie-worded weasel in a politician's smarmy suit. (What's the
deal with the pen in the yard, anyway? The other stuff is simple
overreaction, but the pen thing is inexplicable.)

That's some phrase!

Actually, I know the man and part of the problem is that he is a
lawyer, but he's not a politician. He's in way over his head. This is
something that has more to do with politics and little to do with the
issue at hand.

The pen appears to be for people who want to leave their dogs in the
back yard. You evidently put the pen inside your fenced yard.

I wonder if some of the thinking behind it had to do with the density
issues we have here... I can't explain it. It doesn't make any sense.
Lakewood had a population of 56,646 with 28,416 housing units; a land
area land area of 5.55 sq. miles; a water area of 1.15 sq. miles; and a
population density of 10,208.53 people per sq. mile for Census 2000.
We've lost some population since then, but we're still packed together.

This whole thing has an Alice-in-Wonderland feel to it.

What's even more interesting is that our animal control officers are
supposed to lose their jobs unless they can be paid by funds raised to
support the (very) local, citizen run animal shelter.

Old July 16th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey[_2_]

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2008-07-16 14:16:29 -0400, Mary Healey said:

He's a weenie-worded weasel in a politician's smarmy suit. (What's
the deal with the pen in the yard, anyway? The other stuff is simple
overreaction, but the pen thing is inexplicable.)

That's some phrase!

I'm the product of a lawyer and a politician (both former teachers) --
that kind of background leaves its mark.

Actually, I know the man and part of the problem is that he is a
lawyer, but he's not a politician. He's in way over his head. This is
something that has more to do with politics and little to do with the
issue at hand.

I can believe it, since he left a paper trail. What did he *think*
would happen?

I also think it's hysterical that it apparently never occurred to him
that the people speaking against this tomfoolery might not be Pit
owners. The Chi and its owner made that point rather vividly, I think.
Particularly when you take into account that "Aggressive breeds" press
release from last week!

"If you're going to go in front of the council and say you grow pot"
indeed. There's a world of difference between "I'm doing something
illegal" and "I'd like to point out that you're about to enact something
stupid", but I think it says quite a bit about his thought processes on
the subject that the distinction seems to have escaped him.

I wonder if he asked the local cops to check for traffic violations,
too. After all, you don't want lawbreakers of any kind having a say in
local politics.

The pen appears to be for people who want to leave their dogs in the
back yard.

With the apparent assumption that every Pit owner wants to leave their
dog(s) in the back yard. Foolishness.

What's even more interesting is that our animal control officers are
supposed to lose their jobs unless they can be paid by funds raised to
support the (very) local, citizen run animal shelter.

Which makes the influence of a councilman's "suggestion" even more
insidious.

Old July 16th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-16 17:49:16 -0400, Mary Healey said:

Foolishness.

It's all that...

Old July 17th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On 2008-07-16 12:24:29 -0400, sighthounds & siberians said:

Brian Powers seems like a real piece of work. I was born in Lakewood,
but I sure wouldn't live there now.

He's usually a good guy - that's the weird thing.

He's a weenie-worded weasel in a politician's smarmy suit.

He certainly is.

(What's the
deal with the pen in the yard, anyway? The other stuff is simple
overreaction, but the pen thing is inexplicable.)

I wondered about that too. What kind of pen? Does the law say the
dog has to be in the pen whenever it's outside? Or are people
supposed to put their kids in the pend when the dog's outside? Can't
figure it out.

Mustang Sally