dog breed medical problems

Old July 17th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

Default dog breed medical problems

I've noticed some posters are quite knowledgeable about which medical
problems are a problem with certain breeds. Since I was so clueless about
signs of CRF with Shelby I'd like to be on the lookout for potential
problems with Shadow. I was wondering if there are any particular problems
associated with his breeds. He is a cocker/dachshund mix. Also are there
any good reference books/sites about the various breeds and their medical
problems. I'm thinking of adding a dog to the household but haven't made a
firm decision yet. Thanks

Kathy

Old July 17th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
kat wrote:
Since I was so clueless about
signs of CRF with Shelby I'd like to be on the lookout for potential
problems with Shadow.

Yikes. I think looking for health problems is not, um,
healthy. Knowing about breed-related health problems helps
with diagnosis should something go wrong, and may help you
decide what kind of testing to do. But in general, unless
your dog is showing signs of health problems, don't assume
there are health problems. There's much merit in knowing
something about your dogs, although even there there's the
risk of writing off behavior or other issues as something
endemic to the breed and therefore not fixable. Your dogs
are first and foremost dogs.

For learning about breeds, though, you can't beat the breed
clubs. Do a web search for something like "cocker spaniel
club."

Old July 17th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Yikes. I think looking for health problems is not, um,
healthy.

While looking for problems that don't exist may not be healthy, being fully
informed about potential health issues you will come across with a breed
isn't a bad idea. Harder in a mixed breed dog than a purebred, but still
not a bad idea.

Suja

Old July 17th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
While looking for problems that don't exist may not be healthy, being fully
informed about potential health issues you will come across with a breed
isn't a bad idea.

Honestly, it sounds like proxy hypochondria to me. It's one
thing to be informed and another thing to *look* for health
problems.

Old July 17th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

kat wrote:
Since I was so clueless about
signs of CRF with Shelby I'd like to be on the lookout for potential
problems with Shadow.

Yikes. I think looking for health problems is not, um,
healthy.

Not so much looking for as being aware of potential early signs.

Knowing about breed-related health problems helps
with diagnosis should something go wrong, and may help you
decide what kind of testing to do.

Yes absolutely that is one of the things I want to learn.

But in general, unless
your dog is showing signs of health problems, don't assume
there are health problems.

No that wasn't what I had in mind.

There's much merit in knowing
something about your dogs, although even there there's the
risk of writing off behavior or other issues as something
endemic to the breed and therefore not fixable.

I wrote off Shelby's bad breath as a dental problem when in reality it was
uremic breath associated with her CRF. The vet did not mention this as a
possiblity.

Your dogs
are first and foremost dogs.

For learning about breeds, though, you can't beat the breed
clubs. Do a web search for something like "cocker spaniel
club."

Thanks! Something like that might seem elementary but this stuff is all new
to me.

Kathy

Old July 17th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

"Suja" wrote in message

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Yikes. I think looking for health problems is not, um,
healthy.

While looking for problems that don't exist may not be healthy, being

fully
informed about potential health issues you will come across with a breed
isn't a bad idea. Harder in a mixed breed dog than a purebred, but still
not a bad idea.

Yes. When Shadow had his recent vet visit they had a service whereby you go
online and find out the lab results. It also asks you a variety of
questions about your pet and it's lifestyle. One of the things I learned
that I never would have thought of is that dogs with black pigment in their
gums are at a higher risk for oral cancer. It gave warning signs to look out
for. It's stuff like that and breed specific medical problems that I want to
be aware of so that hopefully I can nip any potential problems in the bud.

Kathy

Old July 17th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Where is that line drawn though? I know FCRs (and Goldens) have high
cancer rates, CHD exists, etc. If I OFA, am I looking for a health
problem or being informed? If I poke all over a dog for lumps and bumps
and have them biopsied, am I a hypochondriac or a concerned and devoted
owner?

She's not talking about getting her dog OFA'ed, she's
talking specifically about looking for health problems. As
for the latter question, you might be a concerned and
devoted owner or you might be a hypochondriac. In your case
you're being responsible (I give each of my dogs a once-over
every day or so) but somebody else might be being neurotic.
I think it comes down to expectations.

Old July 17th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

Honestly, it sounds like proxy hypochondria to me. It's one
thing to be informed and another thing to *look* for health
problems.

I guess I'm unclear from the OP on what her intent is. If she's wanting
to know what problems are common in particular breeds, so that she can
better choose an upcoming dog from a breed that's relatively healthy,
then that seems to make a certain amount of sense. I know people who
won't own certain breeds because health problems or lack of longevity
are deal breakers for them.

And if she's already got breed X in mind, then I don't see what's wrong
with researching that breed's health. Health was something I looked at
when I was researching Boxers. I think it's silly not to find out what
you're potentially getting yourself into.

On the other hand, if I had a mixed breed dog, I don't think I'd waste
much time researching health problems in the different breed components.

On the other other hand, in light of the discussion of GSD health
problems, and in light of Kathy's recent bad experience with one of her
dogs, I don't think it was an unreasonable question.

--
Shelly