This dog has lousy timing

Old July 17th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default This dog has lousy timing

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

What the hell am I doing here?

venting! Have you tried baking soda?

--
Janet Boss
Old July 17th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Suja" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Khan was in the office and occasionally licking himself. He only does
it when he's full and needs to pee, cleaning up after leakage (need to
talk to the vet about it; this is recent), so I let him out. He peed
for a long time, and then tooled around in the bushes. I was occupied
with throwing the ball for Shazzy, and when he still hadn't emerged when
we were done, called him.

I should've known something was up when he didn't just go out and pee
and come back in in 90 degree weather. I should've known better than to
just go 'what's that smell' when I let all the dogs back in. It was
Khan, smelling like very ripe something dead. This is not a dog I can
bathe by myself, so I tried to clean up with waterless shampoo. We were
doing okay until I reached his feet. Big fuzzy feet, sloshing around in
something dead = something very, very unpleasant.

So, he had an improptu wash (selected body parts only, since I hadn't
had time to assemble all the water I would otherwise need) in the
garage. In the process, I scared Gatsby, who is I presume, not used to
a seriously annoyed human stomping around gathering supplies and hauling
an unwilling dog off into the garage.

I didn't need this today. We're short handed at work. My BIL is
visiting from Singapore, and the house looks like a disaster area. I
still haven't had a chance to run the errands I should've run 2 hours
ago.

What the hell am I doing here? I've got so much stuff to do. On top of
all that, I need to make sure the house doesn't smell like long dead
animals have had a convention.

Suja

I find quick touchup jobs work just as fast and well if you fill the tiub
with about 4 inches of water and just wash the feet. Assuming he gets in
the tub himself.

I remember rescueing a great dane once. It stunk of shelter to high heaven.

So in the bathtub it went. Well.. err.. i tried!

The back end was out in the hall way, and the front end was touching the
shower wall.
And he wasn't moving. I would pull, and his neck stretched. I couldn't
reach his end to push it the rest of the way in. i finally tied him to the
horse hitchin' post and hosed him off horse style.

Old July 17th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

It was 'wet stuff'. Kinda greenish looking, although I'll admit to not
having looked very closely. I didn't think baking soda would be a good
idea.

ok - you've officially grossed me out. Hoses are really good things.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 17th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

venting!

I came very close to giving that fuzzy dog a piece of my mind. How dare he
be so inconsiderate? Although I said nothing (folded laundry in between so
I could calm down a bit) he knew just how mad I was. Ditto Gatsby - he's
been kissing up to me ever since. He is always convinced that everything is
his fault.

Have you tried baking soda?

Old July 17th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message:

I find quick touchup jobs work just as fast and well if you fill the tiub
with about 4 inches of water and just wash the feet. Assuming he gets in
the tub himself.

I wish it were that easy. This is one phobia we haven't been able to lick.
Or make much of a dent in, actually. He needs to be carried into the
shower, that's the only way he's getting in. That's why my alternate
solution is to close the garage door, fill up a wheelbarrow with water, and
use that to bathe him. No time for wheelbarrow today (warm water has to be
hand carried in), so we had to make do with a small tub.

The back end was out in the hall way, and the front end was touching the
shower wall.
And he wasn't moving. I would pull, and his neck stretched. I couldn't
reach his end to push it the rest of the way in.

That's pretty funny. Khan will actively avoid it by running away when he
can, and lying down and rolling over when he can't. 80+ pounds of dead
weight is not easy to heft into a tub or shower.

i finally tied him to the
horse hitchin' post and hosed him off horse style.

He's even more afraid of the hose than he is of the shower/tub. It's a very
good thing for him he's so damn cute, and otherwise well behaved.

Suja

Old July 17th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
It was 'wet stuff'.

I love that stuff from Nature's Miracle that you sprinkle on
"wet stuff" and it absorbs the gross and the stink so you
can sweep it up. I don't suppose it's practical to actually
sprinkle it on the dog.

Old July 17th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

ok - you've officially grossed me out.

We aim to please.

And FWIW, the dogs offered to help with the clean-up, I refused.

Suja

Old July 17th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

I love that stuff from Nature's Miracle that you sprinkle on
"wet stuff" and it absorbs the gross and the stink so you
can sweep it up. I don't suppose it's practical to actually
sprinkle it on the dog.

I have and love that thing. I will admit that the idea did not occur to me.
I suspect it wouldn't have been very practical.

Suja

Old July 17th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
I have and love that thing. I will admit that the idea did not occur to me.
I suspect it wouldn't have been very practical.

FWIW when I use it I put an inverted box or basket over it
so that the dogs can't get to it (or I'll hear them if they
try). I have dogs that will eat anything (AN-Y-THING!) and
I figure that stuff is highly likely to cause great harm if
ingested.

Table manners and timing Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 27 February 8th 08 03:54 AM
A matter of timing Marie Dog behavior 26 July 5th 04 12:34 PM
A matter of timing Marie Dog behavior 0 July 1st 04 04:55 AM
A matter of timing Marie Dog behavior 0 July 1st 04 04:55 AM
A matter of timing Marie Dog behavior 0 July 1st 04 04:55 AM