Dog Shampoo

Old July 21st 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

Default Dog Shampoo

Hi all,

I saw someone here mentioning that they thought very little of Hartz
Mountain dog shampoo. I am in need of new doggie shampoo and was wondering
if there's a valid reason for not buying Hartz (which is easily available
where I live) and buying another choice. And what would that choice be? I
live in a tiny community and don't have access to many brands. But I'm
willing to entertain all ideas. I guess my real question is: is there
really a difference in dog shampoos? I know not to use people shampoo on my
dog, but that's about it.

Thanks for your help,
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old July 21st 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Phyrie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I saw someone here mentioning that they thought very little of Hartz
Mountain dog shampoo. I am in need of new doggie shampoo and was
wondering if there's a valid reason for not buying Hartz (which is easily
available where I live) and buying another choice. And what would that
choice be? I live in a tiny community and don't have access to many
brands. But I'm willing to entertain all ideas. I guess my real
question is: is there really a difference in dog shampoos? I know not to
use people shampoo on my dog, but that's about it.

Thanks for your help,

Last Wednesday, I gave Muttley a bath with peppermint soap that I got from
Trader Joe's. It didn't lather very much, but it's pretty much pure castile
soap and fairly mild, and he sure smelled a lot better after he was clean.
That evening, when I took him to the vets for a weigh-in, I asked about
shampoo. They had a couple of kinds they recommended and sold, but she said
he should only get a bath every two-three months or so, and that it is OK
to use baby shampoo.

Paul and Minty Muttley

Old July 21st 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Tonia Fischer

"Phyrie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I saw someone here mentioning that they thought very little of Hartz
Mountain dog shampoo. I am in need of new doggie shampoo and was
wondering if there's a valid reason for not buying Hartz (which is easily
available where I live) and buying another choice. And what would that
choice be? I live in a tiny community and don't have access to many
brands. But I'm willing to entertain all ideas. I guess my real question
is: is there really a difference in dog shampoos? I know not to use
people shampoo on my dog, but that's about it.

Thanks for your help,
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyrie/...758930/detail/

I buy a brand from my vet (who charges me $14.00 for every bottle) but I've
been using it on her since she was a puppy, so I keep buying. It has
hydrocortisone in it, and I don't bathe her until she really starts
scratching or oder developes, whichever happens first. If your dog doesn't
have problems using that shampoo, I'd keep using it. As the saying goes, if
it's not broke, why fix it?

Tonia

Old July 21st 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

I should add: we care for Kiba's grooming ourselves. We are searching for a
reputable groomer who will trim his paw pad hair, as I don't feel confident
enough to risk a cut on his feet myself. Aside from that, as a small,
single coated dog, he's very easy care. We trim his nails and he gets a
bath once a month, the day before his flea treatment if possible.

Kiba has gone to two different professional groomers. One just didn't
understand that when I say, "Don't trim his feathering" I mean Don't trim
his feathering. One groomer (supposedly the best in the nearby town) blamed
her helper, whom she let groom my dog, without my knowledge. As there is
such a small talent pool to draw from, silly me took him back a second time.
I made it clear that I didn't want a student grooming my dog, and DON'T
TOUCH HIS FEATHERING". Tidy up his paws (Cavaliers are known for their
"slippers" which can get really dirty, even dangerous if allowed to grow
underneath between the pads) but leave his damn pants alone. Sure enough,
when I picked him up she had scissored him right up to the elbows and hock
joints. ARGHHH!! The second groomer's work area was so dirty, it grossed
me out. I insist on going in the back to check out the conditions, and it
was awful. There was a mountain, literally, of dirty, bloody!? towels at
least two or three days old. Kiba was fascinated by the hair mountain in
the corner. He SOOO wanted to roll in thirty or so's dogs worth of hair.
Uh, no. So now we groom him ourselves. Therefore my concern about quality
products, since, barring finding a GREAT groomer, we're DIYS.

Old July 21st 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

"Phyrie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I guess my real question is: is there really a difference in dog
shampoos? I know not to use people shampoo on my dog, but that's
about it.

Why not? I've never used dog shampoo on my dogs, not even when I was a
kid. They've all been bathed in either whatever shampoo I'm using at
the time or Dr. Bronner's. What I like about Dr. Bronner's is that it
doesn't lather much, and it rinses easily and thoroughly. People
shampoo works just fine, though, if you rinse carefully.

--
Shelly

Old July 21st 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
They've all been bathed in either whatever shampoo I'm using at
the time or Dr. Bronner's.

Beavers, by teamwork family life!

Peppermint?

Old July 21st 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

Beavers, by teamwork family life!

Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Peppermint?

Yes. And, FWIW it makes an excellent shower "gel," especially in
summer. I cut it 50/50 with water and put it in a foaming hand soap
dispenser.

--
Shelly

Old July 21st 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Peppermint?

Yes.

Huh. I would have guessed that the dogs would find it a
little strong. What does Ms Brown think?

Old July 21st 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

Huh. I would have guessed that the dogs would find it a
little strong. What does Ms Brown think?

She seems fine with it. I suspect the fact that it's wet is more
disturbing to her than the fact that it's tingly. I only bathe her when
the house is warm, though (turn off AC or crank heat, weather
depending), because peppermint + chilly house would be a cruel trick.

--
Shelly

Old July 21st 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

"Phyrie" wrote in message
[...]

===============
I was told by a groomer that baby shampoo was what she used on the dogs. On
my Chow Chow, I used to have to use a special shampoo I got from the vet,
because he had sensitive skin, but when I forgot to bring the shampoo with
me to the groomer one day, the groomer used the baby shampoo on him without
any problems, and from then on I had her use that. I, personally, would not
use any people shampoos on my dogs, but apparently, the baby shampoo is ok
to use because it is so mild.
Devon hasn't had a bath in a year and a half, other than pouring some water
over her when I was in Florida this past February to cool her down and
putting the hose on her feet whenever she gets into the mud after our walks.
The Chow Chow, Sebastian, had to be bathed and groomed every three months.
Rottweilers are so much easier as far as grooming goes.