Something besides Rimadyl....

Old July 23rd 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Patty Jo

Default Something besides Rimadyl....

For dogs with Arthritis problems?
The pills are now up to $3.00 apiece! And I'm supposed to give 2 a day!
I have a Golden Ret. 12 yrs. old, whose not really that bad yet. Just a
little stiff in her hind legs. I was wondering if something like baby
aspirin would be helpful. Anybody know?..pj

Old July 23rd 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Daniel Ganek[_2_]

Patty Jo wrote:
For dogs with Arthritis problems?
The pills are now up to $3.00 apiece! And I'm supposed to give 2 a day!
I have a Golden Ret. 12 yrs. old, whose not really that bad yet. Just a
little stiff in her hind legs. I was wondering if something like baby
aspirin would be helpful. Anybody know?..pj

You can get them on-line for less than a $1 a piece.

We also give our dog tramadyl. We get them at Target for
$4 for 60. It's the human form which doesn't taste good
so we have to hid it in his food.

/dan
Old July 23rd 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Patty Jo" wrote in message:

For dogs with Arthritis problems?

Is the dog already on Glucosamine supplements? Adequan shots? In some
cases, relief can be obtained through alternate medicine (acupuncture,
chiropractic adjustments, etc.). I don't know if they're necessarily
cheaper, but there are other options.

Suja

Old July 23rd 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Patty Jo wrote:
For dogs with Arthritis problems?
The pills are now up to $3.00 apiece! And I'm supposed to give 2 a day!
I have a Golden Ret. 12 yrs. old, whose not really that bad yet. Just a
little stiff in her hind legs. I was wondering if something like baby
aspirin would be helpful. Anybody know?..pj

We got very good results with two of our dogs with Adequan shots
for arthritis. They are given every 4-6 weeks. After we started
the dogs on Adequan, their mobility improved considerably. I'm
hoping it's approved for humans soon...

Google on it, and discuss it with your vet. Our vet charged
$32/shot (including tax and vet visit).

HTH -

FurPaw

--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 23rd 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Daniel Ganek wrote:

We also give our dog tramadyl. We get them at Target for
$4 for 60. It's the human form which doesn't taste good
so we have to hid it in his food.

OK, I'm confused. Are you talking about Tramadol? It *is* a
human drug used for pain relief, but is not equivalent to
Rimadyl. Tramadol is an opiate (morphine-based) prescription
drug and does not have the anti-inflammatory effects that
Rimadyl does. Rimadyl is in a different class of medications
altogether; it's a NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
drug).

Dianne
Old July 23rd 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Daniel Ganek[_2_]

(null) wrote:
Daniel Ganek wrote:
We also give our dog tramadyl. We get them at Target for
$4 for 60. It's the human form which doesn't taste good
so we have to hid it in his food.

OK, I'm confused. Are you talking about Tramadol? It *is* a
human drug used for pain relief, but is not equivalent to
Rimadyl. Tramadol is an opiate (morphine-based) prescription
drug and does not have the anti-inflammatory effects that
Rimadyl does. Rimadyl is in a different class of medications
altogether; it's a NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
drug).

Dianne

Yes, I was talking about tramadol/Tramadyl. I said I "also"
give my dog tramadol (in addition to Rimadyl). I mentioned tramadyl
since the OP was talking giving his dog aspirin.

/dan
Old July 24th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Daniel Ganek wrote:
Daniel Ganek wrote:
We also give our dog tramadyl. We get them at Target for
$4 for 60. It's the human form which doesn't taste good
so we have to hid it in his food.

OK, I'm confused. Are you talking about Tramadol? It *is* a
human drug used for pain relief, but is not equivalent to
Rimadyl. Tramadol is an opiate (morphine-based) prescription
drug and does not have the anti-inflammatory effects that
Rimadyl does. Rimadyl is in a different class of medications
altogether; it's a NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
drug).

Yes, I was talking about tramadol/Tramadyl. I said I "also"
give my dog tramadol (in addition to Rimadyl). I mentioned tramadyl
since the OP was talking giving his dog aspirin.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Dianne
Old July 24th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot[_2_]

Baby aspirin is not going to provide the pain & inflamtion relief that the
Rimadyl does. If it was able to do the job the vet would probably have you
giving it to the dog rather than Rimadyl.

I don't know what dose your dog takes but sometimes it's cheaper to buy the
bigger dose and split the pill. Buddy takes 50mg a day and it's cheaper for
me to buy a 100mg pill. You can also talk to the vet about it being too
expensive and ask if they will give you a price break. My orthopedic vet
was willing to sell me a 90 count bottle if I bought all at once for the
same price I could buy it online. If the vet won't give you a break then ask
for a prescription you can them filled with an online pet pharmacy cheaper
than you can buy from the vet..

Celeste

FA Rimadyl anthony pacut Dog health 0 May 22nd 06 06:24 AM
Rimadyl Tee Dog breeds 37 September 17th 04 07:09 PM
Rimadyl [email protected] Dog activities 2 September 12th 04 06:21 PM
Rimadyl Mark/Shell Dog health 12 August 23rd 03 07:24 PM
Rimadyl Mark/Shell Dog health 0 August 22nd 03 09:20 PM