Making a dog swimming pool

Old July 29th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Making a dog swimming pool

[]
I thought this was clever, from Sleddog Central:

I once had a friend who bought, scrap, a long tanker
trailer (milk, I think).
He cut it in half, separating top from bottom.
He put the 2 halves end to end, cut out the end pieces and
welded them together.
He mounted it in a trench and landscaped up to it.
It gave him a pool about 50' long, 6' wide and 3.5'
deep.

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=9144
(bottom of page)

Old July 29th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
But how to keep it clean and free of becoming a breeding ground for
mosquitos?

That's an excellent question. I really don't know anything
about pool technology. Do conventional swimming pools
require a drain to keep them clean? And is there some
reason that whatever's done with conventional pools couldn't
be done for the tank truck?

Several mushers have built swimming pools for their dogs
(the two I know of are vets, interestingly) but I don't know
what they're doing about cleaning.

Old July 29th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
A drain, a filter system, a skimmer system that keeps the water moving
as well (all of that is connected), chemicals or another sanitizing
system. I live with a pool. If some part of the system is not
functioning properly, it is a real problem. Standing water is not a
good thing!

I don't see why those couldn't be added, although obviously
the shape of this pool wouldn't allow water to flow quite as
freely as in a cube-ier pool. I've heard people talk about
adding water pumps to stock tanks to make "endless pools"
for dogs, but given the length of this one I would guess it
would have to be a powerful pump to keep water from
stagnating at one or either end. This really isn't an area
I know anything about, so I'll shut up now.

Old July 29th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-29 09:39:53 -0400, "\(the\)duckster" said:

I can't even get my dogs in the water.

That was Bella about two years ago, but this year she was crying to get
into the lake. And I mean close to howling.

Old July 29th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

On 2008-07-29 09:39:53 -0400, "\(the\)duckster"

said:

I can't even get my dogs in the water.

That was Bella about two years ago, but this year she was crying to get
into the lake. And I mean close to howling.

I do pool safety every year with my dogs - that is I put them on a lead,
take them in the water, swim them around a few times to show them where the
stairs are. Food, lots of coaxing and I cand get one to swim for a treat.
The other two, run and try to make themselves look very small. My granddog
next door squeals like I'm killing him.

Kind regards,
(the)duckster

Old July 29th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-07-29 12:10:11 -0400, "\(the\)duckster" said:

My granddog
next door squeals like I'm killing him.

Yeah... Beanie was less than enthusiastic, but she only had one
swimming adventure.