Muttley and the Power Jungle (New pix)

Old August 1st 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Muttley and the Power Jungle (New pix)

Late Wednesday afternoon a big thunderstorm rolled through, with lots of
rain, so I turned off the computer, and soon after, the power went out. The
BGE crews "got on it" and I heard chainsaws in the distance. Muttley and I
walked up the street to investigate, but the problem seemed to be up on
Sherwood Hill. We sat out in the yard until dark, and went to bed. After
midnight, we saw a crew working just up the hill on Warren Road near Old
Bosley, where I have seen Kudzu and other vines all over the utility poles
and wires. A "power jungle" and an outage just waiting to happen.

Yesterday (Thursday) I took Muttley for a good 3 mile walk on the NCRR, and
we met a young woman with an Australian Cattle Dog, and young couple with a
sweet young Boxer/Bulldog mix. As we headed back to the car, they surprised
us by running up behind us, and Muttley turned to see. By then he was
rather well exercised and walking on a loose leash, so a tired good dog is
an even better dog.

We passed by another Animal Clinic on the ride back, so we stopped in, and
asked them if they thought Muttley was too fat. The assistant at the desk,
as well as the vet, said he looked healthy and just about right, noting his
stocky build. They thought he might have some Rottie in his makeup, along
with the predominant GSD, and mentioned possible Chow because of the
tongue. Maybe I can find a vet somewhere who thinks Muttley is seriously
obese, and maybe I'll show you a vet who hangs out on Pro-Ana! I'll keep
Muttley on his present diet, as I think he could stand to lose a couple
more pounds, but I'll let him have a little extra if he lets me know he's
hungry.

We got home just after six, after negotiating around a clump of vines and
branches covering half of Warren Rd. I turned my air conditioner and
computer on, but soon after I checked my email, the light went out again.
So I got my camera and walked back up to the area where the crews had been
working, and I took pictures of the "Power Jungle":

www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle03_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle04_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle07_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle09_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle10_200807.jpg

Then I went back home,
www.smart.net/~pstech/HouseAndCar14_200807.jpg

called in the outage, and I sat outside again with Muttley. I still had
shots left in the camera, so I took a few close-ups of my goofy dog:

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...d16_200807.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...s17_200807.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...y19_200807.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...t22_200807.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...n23_200807.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...p25_200807.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...e29_200807.jpg

I heard the power lines make a distinctive "boing" sound which is
indicative of a surge of current, and then I heard a loud "ka-pow" which is
usually the sound of a fuse or a high voltage interruptor opening under
load. "Short-ly" after that, the power was restored, and I was able to
process my photos and now present them to y'all.

Paul and Muttley

Old August 1st 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle03_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle04_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle07_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle09_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle10_200807.jpg

yowza.

Then I went back home,
www.smart.net/~pstech/HouseAndCar14_200807.jpg

Nice house - is it the original farm house? Stone on the bottom? Does it
stay cool in there?

Is muttley part mastiff? He reminds me of Hercules Morse ( featured here
http://www.murphsplace.com/crowe/cha...iry-story.html )

Old August 1st 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message
mmunications...

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle03_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle04_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle07_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle09_200807.jpg
www.smart.net/~pstech/PowerJungle10_200807.jpg

yowza.

Kudzu?

Then I went back home,
www.smart.net/~pstech/HouseAndCar14_200807.jpg

Nice house - is it the original farm house? Stone on the bottom? Does it
stay cool in there?

This house (purchased 1989), and the one in the background (purchased
1977), date back to about 1877, and were very likely inhabited by mill
workers and supervisors. They were part of the Noah Hedrick estate in the
historic mill town of Warren, MD, which was flooded in 1922 to make way for
the enlargement of the Loch Raven Watershed (Baltimore City's reservoir).
The Historical Society of Baltimore County www.hsobc.org had a tour of the
ruins of Warren in April, and the town is featured in the summer 2008
edition of "History Trails". I am leading a similar historical walk as a
Sierra Club outing this Sunday. There are some pictures and articles about
the old town of Warren he
http://external.bcpl.lib.md.us/hcdo/...photolistw.cfm

The downstairs portion of the houses are always cool, as they are made of
18" thick stone walls, and extend into the hill. But it is also very humid,
and even upstairs, at this moment, it is 77F and 79% RH. Downstairs is
probably 68F but 85% RH. Mildew and mold are major problems.

My new neighbor's house dates back even further, and the old section may
have been a tavern. There are many interesting and historic houses,
graveyards, and ruins in the area. My other neighbor's property includes an
old graveyard dating back to 1817, three years after the town was founded.
The area was famous for its numerous springs and pure water. When I first
moved into my other house, it had a privy, and an old hand-dug shallow well
(updated with electric pumps) that I actually shared with a neighbor, in
whose house I am now living.

Is muttley part mastiff? He reminds me of Hercules Morse ( featured here
http://www.murphsplace.com/crowe/cha...iry-story.html )

That is a cute story. A friend who raised Bull Mastiffs thought Muttley
looked like one, from his pictures. He might have some in his heritage. I
will probably have his DNA tested, as I have always been curious about what
he may be. But whatever his genetics, he's a "durn good dawg"!

Paul and Muttley

Old August 1st 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-08-01 02:25:13 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen" said:

mentioned possible Chow because of the
tongue

Any dog that has black in its skin can also have black spots on its
tongue - with or without Chow Chow heritage.

Old August 1st 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

montana wildhack spoke these words of wisdom
in news:2008080109310550073-montana@wildhackcominvalid:

On 2008-08-01 02:25:13 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen" said:

mentioned possible Chow because of the
tongue

Any dog that has black in its skin can also have black spots on its
tongue - with or without Chow Chow heritage.

Very true. Paul is in the looney bin for 100 days, so i missed whatever he
was pontificating about this time. But you are absolutely correct, Montana.
Black tongues are NOT an indicator of Chow Chow Heritage. If Chow Chow
heritage is claimed, there had better be a whole lot more resemblance
factors than just black spots on the tongue.
Old August 1st 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

Black tongues are NOT an indicator of Chow Chow Heritage. If Chow Chow
heritage is claimed, there had better be a whole lot more resemblance
factors than just black spots on the tongue.

Not to mention that "spots" rather than large bluish patches or solid
blue, appear in many breeds.

Pretty much every Golden has at least one black spot on their tongue.
It may be really far back (only see it if they yawn!) or very small, but
others are quite pronounced. I know one [well bred] Golden boy who has
a heart-shaped spot on the tip of his tongue (big awww factor there!).

Even so, I can't tell you how many vets and shelter workers decide that
the purebred Golden MUST be a Chow mix because of the spot. Paul
being an idiot is a given, but a vet? Really shameful.

--
Janet Boss
Old August 1st 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Beth In Alaska wrote:

Is muttley part mastiff?

No, he's just fat. This is what he looks like minus the excess
poundage:

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...0060418-01.jpg

Dianne

Old August 1st 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Aug 1, 12:48*pm, ((null)) wrote:
Beth In Alaska wrote:

Is muttley part mastiff?

No, he's just fat. This is what he looks like minus the excess
poundage:

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...0060418-01.jpg

Dianne

And if Paul actually took that picture into a vet to show them that
Muttley isn't just of "Stocky build" he might get a different response
regarding if he is fat. But I doubt it because I only know of two
vets that seem to know when a dog is fat, or are at least willing to
tell their client the dog is fat. I'm sure others exist, but not in
my area as far as I can tell. Of course, Paul was just looking for
someone to reaffirm his belief that Muttley is just Big Boned, and
probably doesn't care if they were fibbing or are just blinded by all
the other fat dogs people bring in to see them.

Nick
Old August 1st 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

wrote in message
On Aug 1, 12:48 pm, ((null)) wrote:
Beth In Alaska wrote:

Is muttley part mastiff?

No, he's just fat. This is what he looks like minus the excess
poundage:

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley...0060418-01.jpg

Dianne

And if Paul actually took that picture into a vet to show them that
Muttley isn't just of "Stocky build" he might get a different response
regarding if he is fat. But I doubt it because I only know of two
vets that seem to know when a dog is fat, or are at least willing to
tell their client the dog is fat. I'm sure others exist, but not in
my area as far as I can tell. Of course, Paul was just looking for
someone to reaffirm his belief that Muttley is just Big Boned, and
probably doesn't care if they were fibbing or are just blinded by all
the other fat dogs people bring in to see them.

There is no reason for a vet not to say that a dog is overweight,
especially since it's an opportunity to sell weight-control products or
special foods. Both vets felt his sides, chest, and abdomen, and declared
him healthy and normal. The picture above is also with him stretching and
posed on a hillside, which is a lot different than sitting on my foot.

Most of you have dogs that are engaged in activities such as agility,
flyball, and other things where lean=mean. Shelly's post about her vet
having concerns about Harriet's pending surgery because she is so lean
indicates to me that her dog is underweight. Some fat is normal and
healthy. Maybe those who are being so critical should start a "Canine
Pro-Ana" group and brag about how skinny your dogs are.

Sheesh!

Paul and Muttley

Old August 1st 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
There is no reason for a vet not to say that a dog is overweight,
especially since it's an opportunity to sell weight-control products or
special foods.

I've found that a lot of vets don't know. They're used to
seeing pudgy dogs that pudgy dogs look normal to them.
Plus, some vets will look the other way and say nothing
rather than risk alienating a client. I think it's
unethical, but clearly some people have combative, hostile
relationships with some vets and I imagine some vets don't
want to feed those situations.

I'm fortunate to have a vet who does know what a dog is
supposed to look like but for awhile every time I saw her
she said "Your dogs are so lean." I started thinking she
was telling me to put weight on my dogs so I asked her if
she really thought my dogs were too thin and she said "No,
your dogs are beautiful." This isn't by way of being a
boasty pants but to say that a vet who does know what a
healthy dog looks like thinks it's remarkable to see ones
that aren't overweight.

Your dog is fat. His odds of living longer, and having a
better quality-of-life longer, will improve if you slim him
down.

jungle dog? Don Dog behavior 0 February 6th 05 05:04 AM
The concrete jungle Chris Williams Dog behavior 13 August 14th 03 03:53 AM