Comfortis by Lilly

Old August 6th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Comfortis by Lilly

Hi y'all,
The local/new Vet suggested and sells this product. It is a chewable
tablet sold by Rx, it is touted as fast acting, month long flea
protection, approved by the FDA.
One pill per month promises flea protection.
Has anyone used it or heard of anyone that has had any experiences pro
or con with the product?
Thanks...

Be Free.....Judy

Old August 6th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"Judith Althouse" wrote

The local/new Vet suggested and sells this product. It is a chewable
tablet sold by Rx, it is touted as fast acting, month long flea
protection, approved by the FDA.
One pill per month promises flea protection.

According to their own website (http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/: "The most
common adverse reaction recorded during clinical trials was vomiting. Other
adverse reactions were decreased appetite, lethargy, redness of the skin,
hyperactivity and excessive salivation."

See also:
http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/_layou...duct-label.pdf

In the event, fleas aren't our problem here. Ticks are and there's no
mention of ticks at all on the website.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old August 6th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Bob said in part...
According to their own website....The most common adverse reaction is
vomiting........
_________________________
Bob,
I should have posted the web site for anyone that was interested. I
have already been there and read all of the possible adverse reactions.
Ticks are not a problem for me. I should say for my dogs, actually I
had one on my neck about 5 years ago after spending a day in the Forest.
I have read the possible side effects and details of the 90 day study.
I want to hear from someone that has actually used the product or knows
of someone that has used it on their dog.
I admit I am a little anxious about trying what I think of as a
relatively new drug. I live in Fl. and have done everything I know to
do to rid them of fleas. They stay inside 24/7 (due to the heat). They
are by no means flea infested but Jubal Early has a flea allergy and it
doesn't take much to get him going. I am willing to try almost
anything.
Thanks for your information. I have a brochure in my hands and have
visited their web site.
www.comfortis4dogs.com

Be Free.....Judy

Old August 6th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Becky

In article ,
(Judith Althouse) wrote:

Has anyone used it or heard of anyone that has had any experiences pro
or con with the product?

Hi Judy,

I have used Comfortis on my dogs the last few months and have been
thrilled with it. It was recommended by a veterinary dermatologist when
our youngest Newf, Burton, began chewing himself with much vigor. I
live in an environment that's pretty unfriendly to fleas, above 6000 ft.
and very low humidity, and was skeptical, but decided it wouldn't hurt
to rule flea allergy dermatitis out. I was pretty humbled when I called
to give a progress update and admitted the chewing had decreased
dramatically within the first hour of treatment and had completely
stopped later the same day.

We had used flea preventatives on an as-needed basis when traveling out
of state and Burton was even on a topical preventative when the chewing
started. Our dermatologist felt the topical products weren't as
effective for dogs that swim or are bathed frequently. Our dogs happily
fit that description, so Comfortis it is.

Since the boys are also take Heartgard, we separate out giving the
products by two weeks to make us feel better about any potential
ivermectin reactions.
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/ComfortisSafety.htm

Dr. Patty Khuly has written about the product on her blog at:
http://dolittler.com/index.cfm?mode=...arch=comfortis

The Mar Vista Animal Medical Center's site has a nice comparison of flea
preventatives up at:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/flea...omparison.html

Best regards,

Becky