*Office Visit*

Old August 6th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BabySparrowGrasshopper & The Bear

Default *Office Visit*

SUBJECT: OFFICE VISIT

Ladies, this has to be read , laughed at and passedon.
There is not a woman alive today who won't crack up over this!

"I was due for an appointment with the gynecologist later in the week.
Eary one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office to tell
me that
I had been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30 am.
I had just packed everyone off to work and school, and it was already
around
8:45 am. The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I diddn't
have any
time to spare.

As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene
when
making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make
the
full effort. So, I rushed upstairs, thew off my pajamas, wet the
washcloth
that was sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in
'that
area' to make sure I was at least presentable. I threw the washcloth
in the
clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my
appointment.

I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was cakked in.
Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table,
looked over at the other side of the room and pretended that I was in
Paris or some other place a million miles away. I was surprised when
the doctor said, "My, we have made an extra effort this morning,
haven't
we?"

I diddn't respond...

After the appointment, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home.
The rest of the day was normal...some shopping, cleaning, cooking,
etc. After school when my 6 year old daughter was playing,
she called out from the bathrooom, "Mommie, where's my waschoth?"
I told her to get another one from the cupboard.

She replied, "No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had
all
my glitter and sparkles saved inside it."

-Sparrow ~/~ & Aer-Bear *SNortle snortle snortle-"tis the sound of
doggie laughter)
Old August 7th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

Default Companion dog for dog (was: *Office Visit*)

BabySparrowGrasshopper & The Bear wrote:
SUBJECT: OFFICE VISIT

Ladies, this has to be read , laughed at and passedon.
There is not a woman alive today who won't crack up over this!

[the old glitter-on-the-cooter-at-the-gynecologist's story]

Gosh. It's like it's 1993 all over again!

ObDogs: so, we're actively looking for a second dog, mainly to be a
companion for Baron (who is, for review, a very bouncy 3-year-old
standard Schnauzer). There are two schools of thought:

- We need a very calm couch-potato dog because my SO, who is
disabled, can't keep up with Baron as it is.

- We need a high-energy dog, to keep Baron stimulated and tire
him out.

Opinions?

(I should note that this is not a domestic argument, and that
neither of the two humans in the household are particularly
convinced of the merits of either point of view.)

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
-Andrew A. Rooney
Old August 7th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-08-06 20:27:52 -0400, Mark Shaw said:

There are two schools of thought:

- We need a very calm couch-potato dog because my SO, who is
disabled, can't keep up with Baron as it is.

- We need a high-energy dog, to keep Baron stimulated and tire
him out.

Opinions?

I don't know that I'd look for a spud bud for Baron, but maybe a dog
that's just not quite as energetic - or one that has a better "off"
switch.

Bella and Beanie really do enjoy chasing each other around outside and
they like playing inside, as well. Sometimes too much, but they only
roughhouse when I'm on the (cordless) phone. They have me trained to
take them outside.

Old August 7th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Mark Shaw wrote:

ObDogs: so, we're actively looking for a second dog, mainly to be a
companion for Baron (who is, for review, a very bouncy 3-year-old
standard Schnauzer). There are two schools of thought:

- We need a very calm couch-potato dog because my SO, who is
disabled, can't keep up with Baron as it is.

- We need a high-energy dog, to keep Baron stimulated and tire
him out.

Opinions?

Utah says get a kitty. Kitties are LOTS of fun to play with.
They run really fast! And even when the little s**t, uh, snot
doesn't want to play with you, he's still fun to watch. And
every once in a while they get tired and want to take a nap
together, and that's very nice.

Anyway, that's what Utah thinks. (But then again, you have to
take EVERYTHING he says with a grain of salt.)

HTH,

Dianne
Old August 7th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

Mark Shaw wrote :
ObDogs: so, we're actively looking for a second dog, mainly to be a
companion for Baron (who is, for review, a very bouncy 3-year-old
standard Schnauzer). There are two schools of thought:

- We need a very calm couch-potato dog because my SO, who is
disabled, can't keep up with Baron as it is.

- We need a high-energy dog, to keep Baron stimulated and tire
him out.

Opinions?

Expect a large package, UPS. Warning, the package may bark, and will
definitely shed copious quantities of black hair.

For a few pennies more, I'll throw in his PAL certificate and the Novice
Rally entry for the week after Labor Day in Des Moines.

Seriously, you can have an active dog with an off switch. Sometimes the
off switch is defective, of course, and sometimes it gets stuck in one
position or the other, so YMMV.
Old August 7th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Mark Shaw wrote:
Opinions?

Well, my involvement in mushing got started when I realized
that I needed a more appropriate companion for Emmett
because he was badgering the crap out of poor Greta, who
mostly wanted to be the peaceful, placid Collie x that she
was. I originally just wanted a dog I could ski with. I
kind of hate to say it but I think it works best to match
the peppier puppy's energy levels. But, that doesn't help
your SO find an appropriate dog.

The obvious answer is this: you need both.

Old August 7th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

(null) wrote:
Mark Shaw wrote:

ObDogs: so, we're actively looking for a second dog, mainly to be a
companion for Baron (who is, for review, a very bouncy 3-year-old
standard Schnauzer). There are two schools of thought:

- We need a very calm couch-potato dog because my SO, who is
disabled, can't keep up with Baron as it is.

- We need a high-energy dog, to keep Baron stimulated and tire
him out.

Opinions?

Utah says get a kitty. Kitties are LOTS of fun to play with.

Oh, I *wish*. I love cats. SO won't have them in the house,
though; *claims* she's allergic.

Harumph.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead
Old August 7th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

M Healey wrote:
Seriously, you can have an active dog with an off switch. Sometimes the
off switch is defective, of course, and sometimes it gets stuck in one
position or the other, so YMMV.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that pushing hard for one or the
other of couch-potato or bat-out-of-hell might be swinging for
the fences. I think what we really need to do is see how Baron
and Dog X interact, and go from there.

Couch Potato, a GSD/Rott/Lab?, is coming for a visit Saturday
(we, including Baron, already met her on neutral ground last
Saturday). We've also got a line on a couple of standard
Schnauzers, but haven't made contact yet.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Run Fast, Run Happy" -Lis' Kristof
Old August 7th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

Melinda Shore wrote:
kind of hate to say it but I think it works best to match
the peppier puppy's energy levels. But, that doesn't help
your SO find an appropriate dog.

That's what I'm kind of thinking. The problem is that SO is
home all day with the dog(s), and if she can't control them
then any bad habits they teach themselves will be reinforced.

On the other hand, if they're playing chase with each other
more often than not, that's a GOOD thing. For everybody.

The obvious answer is this: you need both.

We'll see how the interviews go. I've long felt that the right
dog will find YOU, if you let it happen.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
Old August 7th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-08-06 22:50:12 -0400, Mark Shaw said:

The problem is that SO is
home all day with the dog(s), and if she can't control them
then any bad habits they teach themselves will be reinforced.

On the other hand, if they're playing chase with each other
more often than not, that's a GOOD thing. For everybody.

The obvious answer is this: you need both.

We'll see how the interviews go. I've long felt that the right
dog will find YOU, if you let it happen.

We have not had a transfer of bad habits between dogs. We have had
existing dogs teaching new dogs the "rules".

Anecdotal sample too small for drawing conclusions!

After a long day at the office, are you just too tired to exercise your dog? Handsome Jack Morrison Dog behavior 1 March 19th 08 12:40 AM
Happy Office shelly Dog behavior 3 January 12th 07 05:52 PM
Happy Office Tara Dog behavior 3 January 12th 07 02:01 AM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 12 December 21st 03 10:14 PM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 05:58 AM