Oppie's bad eye must go

Old August 9th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Default Oppie's bad eye must go

Oppie goes in Monday to have his left eye removed. The retina
deteriorated more than a year and a half ago, with evidence of
retinal bleeds. Last week it suddenly became inflamed, cloudy,
and you could see through the cornea that another bleed had taken
place. And there was sudden onset glaucoma. Rather than treat
it (except for treating the glaucoma up until the surgery), we
decided to have it removed.

I'm a bit annoyed with the vet ophthalmologist that has seen him
over the past year and a half. When our local vet called him to
discuss the surgery, he told her that he wasn't surprised - that
eye problems like Oppie's sometimes do go south quickly. I wish
he'd told us that sooner, since there was never any hope of
recovering vision. We've been treating irritation in the eye off
and on for more than a year, and if we'd known that this outcome
was possible, we'd have had the eye taken out then.

And annoyed with myself. I could have posed that question to the
ophthalmologist, and I didn't.

Because of his laryngeal tieback, he has a higher risk of AP with
surgery, but our vets are experienced with this and know what
precautions to take. So we're crossing our fingers...

Poor boy. He's such a good patient. When our vet was taking his
BP on Thursday, he was shaking a little, but he just laid quietly
with us stroking him until we told him he could get up. Same
thing with the blood draw and all the eye testing (fluids, lights).

I think he will be a lot more comfortable after the eye heals.

FurPaw
--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old August 9th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
montana wildhack

On 2008-08-09 09:53:41 -0400, FurPaw said:

I think he will be a lot more comfortable after the eye heals.

Hope everything goes well...

Old August 9th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Oppie goes in Monday to have his left eye removed. snip
I think he will be a lot more comfortable after the eye heals.

FurPaw

Sorry to hear he has to go through the surgery, but I think you are right -
he will be more comfortable after the healing process. Wishing you a safe
surgery. We'll look for a post op update. Don't beat yourself up with
woulda/coulda/shoulda.

Sue and Atty

Old August 9th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 07:53:41 -0600, FurPaw
wrote:

[...]

Poor Oppie - he's had more than his share of vets and procedures. And
poor you - you've had more than your share of worries with him. All
fingers and paws crossed that this will go well and without
complications, and that things will be smooth sailing from here on.

Mustang Sally

Old August 9th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
tiny dancer[_3_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
snipped
Poor boy. He's such a good patient. When our vet was taking his BP on
Thursday, he was shaking a little, but he just laid quietly with us
stroking him until we told him he could get up. Same thing with the blood
draw and all the eye testing (fluids, lights).

I think he will be a lot more comfortable after the eye heals.

Will keep Oppie in my thoughts, and you too, of course. Many wishes for a
successful surgery and speedy recovery.

td

Old August 9th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

I think he will be a lot more comfortable after the eye heals.

That's what it's all about!

--
Janet Boss
Old August 9th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Kat

"FurPaw" wrote in message
[...]

Oh poor baby It's so hard to watch them suffer. Best wishes for a good
surgery and a speedy recovery.

Kathy

Old August 9th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
filly[_4_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
(snip)
Poor boy. He's such a good patient. When our vet was taking his BP on
Thursday, he was shaking a little, but he just laid quietly with us
stroking him until we told him he could get up. Same thing with the blood
draw and all the eye testing (fluids, lights).

Sounds like you've really earned his trust, that's quite a partnership.

We'll be sending powerful healing vibes and wishes for a speedy recovery.
He'll be back to his goofy self before he knows it!

(I know you will be aware of every second)
Karla

Old August 9th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

FurPaw wrote:
[...]

Oh hell. Poor Oppie. He'll feel much better soon. And cut yourself
some slack. After our recent experience with Scully I've learned that
it's nearly impossible to cover all the bases, and that sometimes even
the best intentioned experts can develop diagnostic tunnel vision.