Well, I *guess* I'm happy ...

Old August 10th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

Default Well, I *guess* I'm happy ...

Took Ranger to Fort Dodge yesterday and today for a weekend of UKC
obedience trials. The main differences in Novice between AKC and UKC is
that the AKC "long down" is an honor down in UKC, and that the UKC recall
is over a jump. Those bits were a piece of cake.

Four trials in two days. Four qualifying scores. A new title (U-CD)! I
SHOULD be happy, four qualifying scores is major Good Stuff. But I'm
looking forward to the next (AKC) stuff in three weeks, and judging from
our scores this weekend, we won't come anywhere near qualifying. Why do I
say that? Our highest score was Trial 1, and still a few points lower than
the last time we showed in Novice. The scores dropped steadily after that,
to a final score of 171.5. We'll NQ on points if this goes on.

The problem is heeling. We lose half-points for crooked sits and fronts,
which I can live with, but Ranger went into the ring lagging and got
progressively worse. By the final trial, he wasn't sitting at halts,
either. I can't tell if that's because he was tired, annoyed, sore, or
just having a "senior moment".

OTOH, he does everything else like it's the easiest stuff in the world.
He's crashed out on the floor behind me, and will get the next day or two
off. Then we'll see if we can patch the heeling thing long enough to
finish his AKC CD.
Old August 10th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
M Healey wrote:

OTOH, he does everything else like it's the easiest stuff in the world.
He's crashed out on the floor behind me, and will get the next day or two
off. Then we'll see if we can patch the heeling thing long enough to
finish his AKC CD.

I think dogs who do this are usually either bored or stressed and I
always attribute that to handler error. I think people (myself,
bigtime!) act too differently once we get in that ring, and the dogs
weird out because of it.

--
Janet Boss
Old August 10th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

Janet Boss wrote:
I think dogs who do this are usually either bored or stressed

Bored is possible, but stressed is way more likely.

always attribute that to handler error. I think people (myself,
bigtime!) act too differently once we get in that ring, and the dogs
weird out because of it.

You're suggesting I be a little more trial-like in training? I could do
that, I suppose. (I'm not doing *anything* that resembles heeling with him
until at least Tuesday night, and maybe not even then. I'm too frustrated
to be effective, and want to give some thought to a plan instead of just
flailing around blindly.)
Old August 11th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 10 Aug 2008 22:54:49 GMT, M Healey wrote:

You're suggesting I be a little more trial-like in training?

Yes.

And if you're a member of an obedience club, be sure to attend those
weekend "fun" trials as often as possible, which are intended to
duplicate the atmosphere of a real trial. Fun trials try to simulate
an actual trial by having the same boisterous gallery, similar
grounds, numbers of dogs waiting around to work, "judges" standing
around and doing their thing, etc., but unlike at a real trial, you're
allowed, even encouraged, to correct your dog's performance during the
event, which will help prevent your dog from ever becoming trial-wise
(nya-nya-nya-nya-nya, you can't touch me!).

Eventually, your dog will learn that he not only has to obey you in
the backyard, or at the park, or at a fun trial, but also at a real
trial.

Running real trials before you're both ready, can easily erase a lot
of your training program's progress.

Treat it as you would treat any other distraction.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

John "Silky Pony" Edwards, the consummate phony.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008...661.htm?page=0

Where the women are women and the men are too.
http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2008/08/...ings-gone.html

Al Gore Places Infant Son In Rocket To Escape Dying Planet!
http://www.theonion.com/content/news...on_rss_ daily

Al Gore is saving the planet...with a massive new houseboat! Thanks, Al, you freakin' hypocrite!
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gore-hi...new-houseboat/

The Top Ten Things that Creep Me Out About Obama.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...hat_creep.html
Old August 11th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
M Healey wrote:

You're suggesting I be a little more trial-like in training?

Or a little more training like in trialing (not enough to break rules of
course).

I could do
that, I suppose. (I'm not doing *anything* that resembles heeling with him
until at least Tuesday night, and maybe not even then. I'm too frustrated
to be effective, and want to give some thought to a plan instead of just
flailing around blindly.)

I agree with that approach.

--
Janet Boss
Old August 11th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
And if you're a member of an obedience club, be sure to attend those
weekend "fun" trials as often as possible,

Well, we're entered in the State Fair next week -- that'll do. Nothing
like obedience on a bed of partially-dried livestock poop to really test a
critter's focus.

allowed, even encouraged, to correct your dog's performance during the
event, which will help prevent your dog from ever becoming trial-wise
(nya-nya-nya-nya-nya, you can't touch me!).

I suspect Ranger is more of the "who the hell are you and what did you do
to my human?" school of thought, particularly after I squished his toes
tripping over him when we met on our last-but-one about turn. Funny, but
he managed to find heel for awhile shortly after that. I wish I'd been
coordinated enough to do it on purpose.

Running real trials before you're both ready, can easily erase a lot
of your training program's progress.

Now you tell me. OTOH, holding off much longer will probably result in the
dog dying of extreme old age before we trial again.

Treat it as you would treat any other distraction.

"oooh, shiny!"
Old August 11th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

elegy wrote :
i showed luce on friday. she warmed up beautifully. very attentive,
really tuned into me even though there were lots of dogs there. we
played a lot of this paw that paw both paws touch! which she thinks is
fun. and then we walked into the ring and she acted like she'd never
been asked to heel before in her life

Sounds like Ranger's first Rally trial. He kept looking at anything but my
face. In between ineffective "watch me" repetitions, and the occasional
"look UP HERE", I told Ranger I'd had boyfriends like him. Never could get
them to look me in the eyes. I heard the (male) judge snicker.

don't know if you're familiar with the book control unleashed but even
though it's geared mainly toward agility, i've found a lot of stuff to
be really helpful in what i've been doing with my own dogs.

Thanks!
Old August 11th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 11 Aug 2008 01:24:41 GMT, M Healey wrote:

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
And if you're a member of an obedience club, be sure to attend those
weekend "fun" trials as often as possible,

Well, we're entered in the State Fair next week -- that'll do. Nothing
like obedience on a bed of partially-dried livestock poop to really test a
critter's focus.

Yes, that would certainly qualify, but you have to be able to correct
any mistakes on the spot, or, again, you could make matters worse.

allowed, even encouraged, to correct your dog's performance during the
event, which will help prevent your dog from ever becoming trial-wise
(nya-nya-nya-nya-nya, you can't touch me!).

I suspect Ranger is more of the "who the hell are you and what did you do
to my human?" school of thought, particularly after I squished his toes
tripping over him when we met on our last-but-one about turn. Funny, but
he managed to find heel for awhile shortly after that. I wish I'd been
coordinated enough to do it on purpose.

Frequently "tripping" over your dog during training can easily
increase your dog's desire to want to pay closer attention to you at
trials. More tripping!

You're training your dog, not trying out for a part on "So You Think
You Can Dance".

Heh.

Running real trials before you're both ready, can easily erase a lot
of your training program's progress.

Now you tell me. OTOH, holding off much longer will probably result in the
dog dying of extreme old age before we trial again.

Sometimes that's better than dying of embarrassment.

Just kidding!

Relax and have some fun.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Censoring skepticism.
http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2008/0...kepticism.html

"Find out where his kids go to school": Just don't do the same thing regarding a Democrat. That would be McCarthyism.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1218...he+Web+Toda y

25 reasons you may be a racist.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...RmZDM3NzAxY2I=

You'll never guess what I saw! Suja Dog behavior 15 March 17th 07 05:36 AM
Guess the Breed Lynne Dog behavior 53 January 22nd 07 09:29 PM
Guess this breed! Natalie Rigertas Dog breeds 4 September 15th 05 05:55 AM
Another "Guess that Mix" Rocky Dog breeds 30 May 14th 05 03:18 AM