Dog barking

Old August 21st 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tom Ginkel

Default Dog barking

Well, much to the chagrin of some folks, I tried an inexpensive "static"
collar on my French Bulldog, Olive. It had absolutely no effect, despite my
misgivings about a "shock collar". I put the thing on myself and didn't
feel anything, no matter how long and hard I "barked".

I only say this for the troubled souls of the folks who fret about the
effects. I think the "shock" isn't much of one.

Old August 21st 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Tom Ginkel" wrote in message
Well, much to the chagrin of some folks, I tried an inexpensive "static"
collar on my French Bulldog, Olive. It had absolutely no effect, despite
my misgivings about a "shock collar". I put the thing on myself and
didn't feel anything, no matter how long and hard I "barked".

I only say this for the troubled souls of the folks who fret about the
effects. I think the "shock" isn't much of one.

The definitive word here may be "inexpensive", which might mean that it
does not work at all. There are many Chinese (and other) copies of working
designs that only give the appearance of working, or may work only for a
very brief time, or intermittently. Electrostimulation devices are
routinely checked and "calibrated", in which their outputs are measured and
guaranteed to be at effective and safe levels. You should visit a reputable
dealer and try the same experiment with a more expensive model, before you
declare them to be ineffective. You should be able to check for the
presence of sufficient voltage by using a neon lamp circuit tester.

Technology aside, you should try other methods to reduce barking before
resorting to these devices. Maybe I am lucky that my dog does not bark
excessively, and when he does, I know that there is something that he has
seen, heard, or otherwise sensed, that needs my attention. If it is of low
priority, he emits only a subdued "Grruff", but something he deems
important will rate a full-fledged series of barks. But I quickly praise
him, and when I check it out and tell him it's OK, he usually stops
barking. I don't think he barks when he is in the house alone, as I have
never heard him do so when I come to the door, but he probably does (and I
hope so), if someone would be outside making noise or knocking on the door.

Paul and Muttley

Old August 21st 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mirelle[_7_]

Tom Ginkel wrote:
Well, much to the chagrin of some folks, I tried an inexpensive "static"
collar on my French Bulldog, Olive. It had absolutely no effect, despite my
misgivings about a "shock collar". I put the thing on myself and didn't
feel anything, no matter how long and hard I "barked".

I only say this for the troubled souls of the folks who fret about the
effects. I think the "shock" isn't much of one.

Elephant ****.

Mirelle
Old August 21st 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

Like Paul said.......you get what you pay for. Go to a reputable dealer and
buy a brand name collar.

Celeste